American Express in India offers a wide range of credit cards best suited for people who love to travel and shop that comes with a host of privileges, offers, discounts on lifestyle, shopping, dining, movies, etc. Let us look at the best credit cards from American Express.
Best American Express Credit Cards In India
|American Express Credit Card||Annual Fee (in Rs.)||Renewal Fee (in Rs.)||Key Feature|
|The American Express Membership Rewards Credit Card||1000 + GST||4,500+GST||Redeem your Points from the fabulous 18 and 24 Karat Gold Collection|
|American Express Platinum ReserveSM Credit Card||5,000+GST||10,000+GST||Up to 20% discount at partner restaurants.|
|The American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card||3,500+GST||5,000+GST||Redeem your Points from the fabulous 18 and 24 Karat Gold Collection|
|American Express SmartEarn Credit Card||495+ GST||495+GST||5 times reward points on shopping at Swiggy, Amazon|
|American Express® Platinum Card||60,000+GST||60,000+GST||Enjoy the Platinum Concierge Service by American Express.|
Read More on this Page
Shopping Credit Cards by American Express
When it comes to shopping, American Express Membership Rewards Card is the most preferred. So shopaholics can enjoy various benefits and rewards while using this card.
American Express Membership Rewards Credit Card
Best suited for: Shopping Travel Rewards
- Welcome Gift – 4,000 Bonus Membership Rewards Points to be awarded as Welcome Gift
- Reward Points – Get 5,000 bonus membership reward points on first-year card renewal
- Dining Discount – Enjoy up to 20% discount at partner restaurants
- Lost Liability Cover – Get zero lost card liability cover along with an emergency card replacement facility
- Supplementary Membership Cards – Avail two Supplementary Membership Rewards® Credit Cards at no additional cost
- Gold Benefits – Redeem your reward points under the 18 carat and 24-carat gold collection schemes
American Express SmartEarn™ Credit Card
- Welcome Gift- 500 cashback on spending Rs. 10,000 in the first 90 days
- Rewards- 1 Membership Reward Point for every Rs. 50 spent on eligible categories
- Extra Rewards- 5X rewards on Swiggy, Amazon, BookMyShow and other partners
- Fuel Benefit- Avail convenience fee waiver at HPCL petrol pumps
- Easy EMI– Convert big-ticket purchases into easy EMIs at low interest rates
Entertainment Cards by American Express
American Express Platinum Reserve credit card is one of the best suited cards for the entertainment category.
American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card
Best suited for: Hotels Travel Lounge Access
- Welcome Gift – Get welcome bonus rewards of 11,000 bonus membership points
- Priority Pass Membership – Avail free access to American Express lounges as well as Priority Pass Membership that enables access to lounges at leading airports worldwide
- Healthcare Benefits – Get access to unmatched healthcare benefits through Medical Concierge, Fortis Healthcare and Max Healthcare
- Golf Privileges – Get free access and waiver of green fees at 14 top golf courses at key Indian cities using your American Express Card
- Dining Discounts – Additional dining discounts and faster rewards points accumulation at partner restaurants and merchants globally
American Express Platinum Card
Best suited for: Travel Lounge Access International Spends
Welcome Benefits – 1,00,000 Welcome Bonus Membership Rewards® Points or stay vouchers from Taj SeleQtions Vivanta Hotels worth Rs. 45,000
Travel Benefits – Savings up to Rs. 1,07,000 on international travel
- Complimentary upgrade to first class Etihad Airlines tickets from select business class tickets
- Up to 20% off on Air India Business Class ticket’s base fare
Lounge Access – Access to premium airport lounges like The Centurion® Lounge, American Express Proprietary lounges, Delta & Priority Pass lounges
Hotel Privileges – Stay benefits up to Rs. 44,500
24×7 Concierge – 24×7 premium concierge services such as hotel booking, event booking, late night deliveries, etc.
American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card
Best suited for: Fuel Travel Lounge Access
- Welcome Gift – Welcome gift of 5,000 bonus Milestone reward points which can be redeemed against travel vouchers worth Rs.4, 000
- Dining Discounts – Enjoy up to 20% discount on dining at premium restaurants
- Reward Points – On spending Rs.1.90 lakhs in a year the customer can get various benefits like 7,500 Spend Milestone Bonus Membership reward points which can be redeemed as travel vouchers worth Rs.6,000
- Access to Airport Lounges – Enjoy 4 complimentary visits per year to 30 airport lounges in Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru and 9 other cities T&C Apply
- Additional Benefits – Other services include up to 2 free supplementary cards, Zero Lost Card Liability, pay-in-parts privilege wherein the customer can pay EMIS for certain purchases, 24*7 platinum assist and emergency card replacement anywhere across the world
American Express Credit Card- Fees and Charges
Though fees and charges on different American Express Credit Cards may differ based on several factors, given below is a list of common charges applicable on all cards.
|Type of Fee/Charge||Amount|
|Supplementary Card Fee||Rs 1,500|
|Over limit charge||Rs 500|
|Currency Conversion Factor Assessment||3.50%|
|Finance Charges||1.99% – 3.5% per month*|
|Duplicate Statement Fee||Rs 100 per statement for statements older than 3 months|
|Cheque/ECS/NACH Return Fee||Rs 250 per Returned Instrument|
|Surcharge on Purchase of Railway Ticket||1.8% of the transaction value if booked on the internet (IRCTC) subject to a minimum of Rs 10|
*Varies from one credit card to another.
American Express Credit Card Eligibility and Documentation
To be eligible for American Express Credit Cards, one should meet the following basic requirements*.
- Age – Above 18 years
- Occupational Status – Should have a regular income; both salaried and self-employed people can apply
- Bank Account – Should have at least one bank account (current or savings) in India
*Please note that the criteria may differ from one card to another and the final decision rests with American Express.
How to Apply for American Express Credit Cards
We provide a simple and hassle-free way to apply for credit cards. You have to enter a few basic details and we suggest the best credit cards for you. Follow the steps given below to apply-
Step 1- Click here to start the application process.
Step 2- Enter your basic details like occupation, monthly income, city and contact number. You will now see a list of credit cards for which you meet the basic eligibility criteria.
Step 3- Find your preferred American Express credit card from the list and check your eligibility for the same.
Step 4- If eligible, you can complete the online application.
Once you submit the application, you will get a call from American Express’ representative who will come to collect the documents at your doorstep. The bank will scrutinize the documents provided and if approved, the card will reach you shortly.
American Express Credit Card Reward Program
American Express offers excellent rewards to its customers when they use their credit cards. These rewards can be redeemed against a wide range of merchandise, travel vouchers, gift cards or direct conversion into cash credit. The table given below shows reward earnings on different American Express Credit Cards-
|American Express Credit Card||Reward Points||Accelerated/Bonus Rewards|
|American Express Platinum ReserveSM Credit Card||1 Membership Rewards® Point for every ₹ 50 spent except for expenses made on fuel, insurance, utilities and cash transactions.||20 Bonus Membership Rewards Points when shopping at Membership Rewards partner outlets.|
|The American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card||1 Membership Rewards® Point for every ₹ 50 spent except for expenses made on fuel, insurance, utilities and cash transactions.||Welcome Gift1 of 5,000 Milestone Bonus Membership Rewards Points and 7,500 Spend Milestone Bonus Membership Rewards Points on reaching total spend of ₹ 1.90 Lakhs in a year|
|The American Express Membership Rewards Credit Card||1 Membership Rewards Point for every ₹ 50 spent except for spends at Fuel, Insurance, Utilities and Cash Transactions.||N/A|
|American Express® Platinum Card||1 Membership Rewards® Point1 for every ₹ 40 spent except for spend at Fuel, Utilities, Insurance and Cash Transactions.||Up to 20 Bonus MR Points for every ₹ 10 at EXTRA Membership Rewards Program Partners.|
American Express has a dedicated website for reward redemption. Here you can find all the different items against which you can redeem your rewards such as merchandise, travel vouchers, gift cards and more. You can login using your customer ID and password and directly redeem your rewards from there.Click here to check American Express Rewards Catalogue.
American Express Credit Card Customer Care
American express bank credit card users can get in touch with the bank’s customer care via call, email and SMS. Here are the details:
American Express Bank Credit Card Customer Care Number:
|American Express Credit Cards||Contact Numbers|
|American Express® Platinum Credit Card||1800 419 1030*|
1800 180 1030
|American Express® Platinum Travel Credit Card||1800 419 2122|
|American Express® Membership Rewards Credit Card||0124-280 1418|
1800 419 0167
|American Express® Platinum Card||1800 419 1255*|
1800 180 1255
For 24*7 customer care assistance, customers can also call on these numbers:
+91124–2801800 / 1800 419 3646
American Express Credit Card FAQs
Who can apply for American Express Credit Cards?
The income requirements may differ from one card to another. However, applicants must fall in the specified age bracket and must be an Indian Resident or NRI. They should also have regular source of income and a running credit history.
What is a charge card?
Apart from credit cards, American Express also gives charge cards which do not have a pre-defined limit. Any outstanding amount on a charge card must be paid in full on or before the due date.
What are Membership Rewards?
American Express credit card holders earn membership rewards whenever they use their credit card. The rate of reward earning is different for different cards. Accumulated membership rewards can be redeemed against vouchers and merchandise given in American Express Rewards Catalogue.
Can I use my American Express credit card in a foreign country?
Yes. American Express credit cards are internationally accepted. However, you must read the terms and conditions related to international use before you head for a foreign location.
What are the different ways of paying American Express credit card bill?
Cardholders can pay their American Express credit card bills through several modes, namely-
- Bill Desk
- Standing Instruction
What should I do if my American Express credit card is lost or damaged?
You must immediately inform American Express about the card loss by calling on their customer care number so that it can be hot-listed. The bank will then initiate the process of issuing new credit card which would be delivered to you within 10 days.
What do I do if my American Express credit card is declined?
Your card may be declined due to several reasons; the most common being insufficient credit limit. If you have enough amount for the purchase and it is still declined, you must call American Express to know the reason for such decline and get it fixed.
How can I update email address and contact details on my American Express credit card account?
If you are using online banking facility, you can update your details by logging in. Alternately, you can call American Express customer care or visit their nearest branch to update the details.
What happens if I exceed the credit limit on my American Express credit card?
If you exceed the limit, American Express will charge an overlimit charge of ₹ 500.
Can I get a supplementary card on my American Express credit card?
Yes, supplementary credit card facility is offered by American Express but a certain charge is levied on it. You can get such add-on cards for your parents, children or spouse.
When is interest charged on my American Express credit card?
Interest is charged on any outstanding amount that lies in your account after the due date. If you have paid all your balances on time, no interest will be charged.
What happens if I pay more than the Total Amount Due?
The extra payment is reflected in your statement/account and will be adjusted against future expenses.
How do I set standing instruction for credit card bill payment?
You can either do this online by logging into your American Express Credit Card account or by visiting the nearest branch. You can decide whether you want to pay the total amount due every month or just the minimum amount due.