RuPay is the domestic payment network of India that offers secure and phishing-free environment for making payments. Like other international payment networks, Visa and MasterCard, RuPay offers a range of credit card variants that give cardholders the option to choose a card as per their needs and requirements. RuPay credit cardholders also get a number of deals and offers to make its use more convenient.
What are RuPay Credit Cards?
RuPay is an electronic payment network and settlement system that has been developed indigenously by NPCI (National Payments Corporation of India). Credit cards issued under this network are widely accepted even outside India. For transactions outside India, RuPay Global card can be used at Discover, Diners or Pulse networks at more than 39.3 million POS machines and 1.88 million ATMs in 185 countries across the globe.
As per the official statistics, more than 500 million cards have been issued by 1100+ issuing and acquiring banks by July 2018. RuPay also achieved the feat of successfully completing more than 260 million transactions in a month in July 2018.
Types of RuPay Credit Cards
RuPay offers three variants of credit cards. Each card comes with specific benefits and charges. Let us have a look at them:
RuPay Classic Credit Card
RuPay Classic is the basic credit card offered with regular facilities. One can get a number for facilities on this card. Some of them are mentioned below:
- The cardholder gets personal accident insurance and permanent disability cover up to Rs.1 Lakh
- Exclusive merchant benefits when payment done through RuPay credit card
- Make payment at all POS machines without any issue
- The card is safe and secure enough to prevent phishing
RuPay Platinum Credit Card
RuPay Platinum credit card allows the cardholder to earn cashback on purchases most of the time the card is used at a merchant POS. The primary benefits of this credit card are as follows:
- Exclusive gift vouchers from the merchant as welcome benefits
- Cash backs on restaurant bills, eateries, utility bill payments, etc.
- Personal accidental insurance and permanent disability cover up to Rs. 2 lakh
- Exclusive merchant offers available throughout the year on RuPay Platinum credit card
- A range of referral services such as travel assistance, hotel reservations, consultancy services, etc. available 24×7
RuPay Select Credit Card
RuPay Select is the premium credit card and is offered by various banks to their high-valued customers. Cardholders get facilities such as lifestyle benefits, complimentary lounge access, cashbacks, concierge services, etc. Features and benefits of this card are as follows:
- Exclusive gift vouchers and from a number of brands as welcome gifts
- Access to more than 500+ lounges across the globe and 30+ lounges in India
- Cashback on eateries, restaurants, utility bill payments, etc.
- 24×7 concierge services such as travel assistance, hotel booking, etc.
- Personal accident cover and permanent disability cover up to Rs. 10 lakh
- Exclusive merchant benefits, both online and offline, throughout the year
Top RuPay Credit Cards
Most banks have started offering RuPay credit cards and all three variants have seen rise in the past few years. Cardholders get a safe and secure payment environment with RuPay and also enjoy cashbacks and other benefits with these cards. A list of best RuPay credit cards is mentioned below:
Best RuPay Credit Cards for 2020
|PNB RuPay Select|
|Union Bank RuPay Select|
|IDBI Bank Winnings|
|Bank of India RuPay Platinum|
HDFC Bharat Credit Card
HDFC Bharat is a cashback credit card designed specifically for users in India. One gets cashback on this card at the end of every month on fuel, groceries, bill payments, ticket booking, etc.
Feature and Benefits
- 5% cashback on fuel, groceries, recharges and bill payments, train ticket bookings through IRCTC, etc.
- 5% additional cashback on all transactions done through EasyEMI, PayZapp and SmartBUY
- 1% fuel surcharge waiver on all transactions above Rs. 400 up to a maximum of Rs. 250
- Annual fee waiver on spending Rs. 50,000 in a calendar year
- Free accidental death insurance of up to Rs. 50 lakh on doing a minimum of 4 transactions every month
PNB RuPay Credit Card
PNB offers RuPay credit card in two variants – Platinum and Select. Cardholders get great offers and benefits on these cards. The cards are equally rewarding for both domestic, as well as, international travel.
Features and Benefits
- No annual fee if the card is used at least once every quarter
- More than 300 Reward Points when used for the first time
- Exclusive cashback on using the card at restaurants, eateries, utility bill payments and more
- 24×7 concierge services
- Complimentary domestic and international lounge access
Union Bank of India RuPay Credit Card
Union Bank was the first bank to launch RuPay credit cards in association with NPCI. It provides two variants of these cards – Platinum and Select. The payment settlement charges for this card are low which in turn allows banks to provide more benefits on this card.
Features and Benefits
- The Select variant offers up to Rs. 10 lakh insurance benefits on accidental death whereas the Platinum variant offers accidental death insurance of up to Rs. 8 lakh
- Fuel surcharge waiver of up to Rs. 75 every month
- Cashback up to Rs. 50 every month on utility bills
- Select card is provided for card limit of Rs. 1 lakh and above whereas the Platinum card is issued when the credit limit is below Rs. 1 lakh
- Four free airport lounge access in more than 300 cities every year across the world on Select credit card
IDBI Winnings RuPay Credit Card
IDBI Bank offers RuPay credit card in the name of Winnings credit card. This card allows one to get exciting offers and rewards on various purchases and transactions. Cardholders get welcome benefits, fuel surcharge waiver, cashback and more with this credit card.
Features and Benefits
- Welcome benefits of flat 10% on transactions done within first 90 days of the card issuance (Maximum cashback of Rs. 500)
- 1% Fuel Surcharge Waiver on transactions between Rs. 400 and Rs. 5000
- Personal accidental insurance cover of up to Rs. 10 lakh in case of death or permanent disability
- Free airport lounge access both within India and abroad
- Zero lost card liability after reporting the loss of card
Bank of India RuPay Platinum Credit Card
Bank of India offers RuPay Platinum credit card and Swadhan RuPay Platinum credit card. These cards are valid in India, Nepal and at all outlets across the globe wherever RuPay is valid. Cardholders get great benefits and rewards on this card along with welcome benefits and cashbacks.
Features and Benefits
- The card is valid in India, Nepal and other foreign outlets where RuPay is valid
- Exclusive welcome benefits and gift vouchers with the card
- Personal accidental insurance coverage of up to Rs. 2 lakh in case of death or permanent disability
- 24×7 free concierge services on travel, hotel bookings and more
- Cashback on restaurant bills and utility bill payments every month
Acceptance of RuPay Credit Cards
RuPay credit cards are accepted everywhere in India. As it is developed in India by NPCI, one can use it on almost all POS machines. It can also be used internationally anywhere RuPay logo is mentioned.
RuPay Global credit card in collaboration with Discover, Diners Club and Pulse network logos can be used at more than 39 million POS locations across 185 countries across the globe.
RuPay credit cards can also be used to carry out transactions online to make utility bill payments, shopping, booking tickets, etc.
Why should one go for RuPay Credit Cards?
- RuPay credit cards, launched by NPCI, have been indigenously developed as an alternative to costly international payment networks such as Visa, MasterCard, etc.
- RuPay platform is relatively less costly as the transactions are processed domestically
- RuPay offers customized products and services which are best suited for Indian customers
- Transactions carried out through the RuPay network are safer and more secure as the transaction details and consumer data are not transferred outside India
- All RuPay credit cardholders get the facility of personal accident insurance. They get a coverage ranging from Rs. 1 lakh to Rs. 10 lakh in case of death or permanent disability.