Digital means for banking are establishing new standards with each passing day. After the demonetisation drive in 2016, most of the public, as well as private sector banks, launched dedicated internet banking portals for the convenience of customers. These Net Banking portals are not just providing convenient internet banking, but are also catering to additional services such as opening Fixed Deposit, paying taxes, and more. Let us find out more about net-banking.
What is Net Banking?
Net-banking, also known as internet banking, is an electronic system or service offered by banks which enables customers to access financial as well as non-financial banking products online. Earlier, customers had to visit the banks even for a small service. However, after the arrival of internet banking, almost all the banking services and products can be accessed online. From fund transfer to requesting demand draft, net-banking facilitates all banking essentials. It is not just convenient but also a secure method of banking.
Get Free Credit Report with monthly updates. Check Now
Services Available on Net Banking Portals
These are some universal services available at every bank’s net-banking portal. Nonetheless, many more services are provided by banks on the net-banking system.
How does it work?
To benefit from net-banking, customers are required to register for internet banking at the bank.
- Individuals having an operating account at any bank or financial institution can register for internet banking
- For net-banking to work properly, you need a personal computer, laptop or mobile phone, and good internet connection
- After registering, a unique customer ID and password is issued by the bank using which one can log-in to the net-banking portal
Features of Net Banking
Given below are some of the key features of Net Banking:
- A secure and convenient method of banking
- Password-protected banking system
- Easy access to financial and non-financial banking products/services
- Access your bank account anytime anywhere
- Track and manage bank balance, last transactions, statements, etc.
- Transfer funds online via NEFT, RTGS, IMPS anytime
- Process bill payments quickly
- Keep a track of mortgage payments, loans, savings a/c, etc.
- Channelize or cancel automatic payments
Get Free Credit Report with Complete Analysis of Credit Score
How to register for Net Banking?
Individuals who are new to the fundamentals of net-banking are required to open an internet banking account. Most of the banks open an internet banking account for the customers as and when they apply for a new bank account.
If you do not have an internet banking account already,
- You can submit the Internet Banking Application Form at your home branch along with required documents such as a copy of your bank passbook, Aadhaar card, etc.
- The bank will verify all the information and then issue a customer ID and password for internet banking
- The net-banking application form can be downloaded from your bank’s official website
- After receiving the credentials, you can log-in and access net-banking
Note: All the new users must change the password issued by the bank after logging in to net-banking for the first time.
How to Register for Net Banking online?
Besides offline registration, which involves the submission of the application form at the bank, users can register for net-banking online from the respective bank’s official website. However, it should be noted that not all banks offer online registration for internet banking services.
- Step 1: Visit your bank’s official net-banking website
- Step 2: Click on the ‘login’ button under personal/retail banking option
- Step 3: On the next screen, click on the ‘New User? Register Here’ option
- Step 4: If you have already obtained the customer ID and password from the bank, enter and proceed to login. Otherwise, click ‘Next’
- Step 5: Now, you will be required to fill a ‘Self Registration Form’. Enter details such as account number, registered mobile number, email address, branch code, CIF number, debit card details, etc. After that, click on ‘Submit’
- Step 6: Authenticate your registration using a one-time password sent to your registered mobile number
- Step 7: On the next screen, your temporary customer ID and password will be displayed
- Step 8: Log-in using your temporary credentials. You need to create a new log-in password after logging in for the first time
Note: Log-in and transaction password should be changed every 2 months to safeguard the net-banking account.
A Good Credit Score can help in getting Loan Approvals Easily
Steps for Net Banking Login
After successful registration, you can follow the given steps to log-in to your net banking system-
- Visit your bank’s official net-banking website. (Make sure the URL of the website starts with ‘https://’. This means that the URL is secure)
- If you are a retail user, choose ‘Personal Log-in’. If you are a corporate user, choose ‘Corporate Log-in’
- Now, on the next screen, enter your customer ID and password
- Enter Captcha and click on ‘Login’
- Your Net Banking dashboard will be displayed on the next screen
How to Reset Net Banking Password?
In case you have forgotten your net-banking password or you wish to change the same, follow the given steps-
- Visit your bank’s official net-banking website
- On the login page, click on ‘Forgot Login Password’
- Now, enter details like your username, bank account number, date of birth and mobile number and country. Click on ‘Submit’
- You will receive an OTP (One Time Password) on your registered mobile number
- Enter OTP and click on ‘Continue’
- Enter a new password of your choice and retype it to confirm
- Your new login password is reset now, you can log in to net banking with a new login
Types of Fund Transfers available on Net-banking
Net-banking allows the transfer of funds from one account to another through three different ways- NEFT, RTGS and IMPS. Let us understand these three methods in details-
National Electronic Fund Transfer (NEFT) is one of the most commonly used payment methods which enables one-to-one fund transfer. It is a time-restricted process at the bank, but available 24×7 on the net-banking portals. Generally, it takes about 30 minutes for the funds to be successfully transferred via NEFT. However, the time can even stretch to 2-3 hours.
Real-Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) refers to a continuous settlement of funds individually on an order by order basis. This implies that the RTGS system ensures that the beneficiary’s account is credited with the funds immediately. Transactions via RTGS are monitored by the RBI which suggests that successful transfers are irrevocable. This method is used to transfer a minimum of Rs.2 lakh. Just like NEFT, RTGS is also a time-restricted service at the bank, but accessible 24×7 via net-banking.
Immediate Payment System (IMPS) also deals in the real-time transfer of funds. It is most commonly used to transfer funds instantly within banks across India via mobile, internet and ATM. One can transfer funds via IMPS just with the mobile number of the beneficiary.
A Good Credit Score ensures you manage Your Finances Well
How to transfer funds via Net Banking?
The process of transferring funds via net-banking is mostly the same for the banks. Here is a simple step-by-step guide to transferring funds online via net-banking:
- Step 1: Use your customer ID and password to log-in to your bank’s official net-banking portal
- Step 2: Navigate to the ‘Transfer Funds’ option and select the method of transfer- NEFT, RTGS or IMPS. If you are selecting NEFT, You need to make sure that the beneficiary’s bank is NEFT enabled.
- Step 3: Select the beneficiary. If you haven’t already added the beneficiary, click on ‘Add Beneficiary’.
- Enter beneficiary name, account number, IFSC and bank branch name
- Click ‘Submit & Save’ to add the beneficiary to your list
- Step 4: Enter the amount which you wish to transfer
- Step 5: Authenticate the process by entering the one-time password sent to your mobile number
- Step 6: Click ‘Confirm & Send’. The money will be transferred to the beneficiary’s account.
You will receive a confirmation message/mail from your bank regarding the successful transfer of funds.
How to make credit card bill payments via Net Banking?
Net Banking is one of the most convenient, safest and secure ways of paying your credit card bills. There is no additional fee like a service or transaction fee charged while making bill payments via internet banking. Moreover, net-banking has been embedded with extra security measures to make the transactions secure. Here is how you can make credit card payments via Net Banking-
- Step 1: Log-in to your credit card provider’s website
- Step 2: Click on the ‘Pay your Credit Card bill’ option
- Step 3: Enter your credit card details such as credit card number, email address, and the payment amount
- Step 4: You will be redirected to the payments gateway. Select the ‘Net Banking’ option and then choose the bank account from which you want to make payment
- Step 5: On the next screen, you will be redirected to your bank’s payment interface
- Step 6: Enter your customer ID and password. Authenticate the transaction by entering the one-time password received on your mobile number
- Step 7: Click ‘Confirm’. Your bank account will be debited with the amount which you have entered for bill payment. After a successful transaction, you will receive a confirmation message via SMS and email.
*Important: Make sure that the URL of your bank’s payment gateway starts with ‘https://’ which indicates that you are using a secure website.
Checking Credit Report monthly has no impact on Credit Score Check Now
Bank Specific Net Banking Portals
Given below is a list of the popular public as well as private banks with a dedicated net-banking website for the customers.
Advantages of Net Banking
Given below are some advantages/benefits of Internet Banking available for all the users-
- Net-banking is available 24×7: Availability of banking services is time-restricted at the bank. However, net-banking caters to customer’s banking requirements 24×7. One can access any banking service at any time, from anywhere via Net Banking. Now, customers need not visit the bank to access banking services as everything is within a click’s reach.
- Financial Transactions are made convenient: Financial transactions such as fund transfer, bill payments, recharges, etc. are the most used services on net-banking. This is because net-banking has made the entire process of payments very easy. Such transactions can easily be performed anytime as per the convenience of the user.
- Organized statements and transaction history: Keeping a track of the transaction and bank balance was so complicated before net-banking came into action. Customers have to visit the bank, stand in queues to update the passbook and check details. Nonetheless, with internet banking, it has become very easy to track historical transactions and outstanding balance. Transactions and fund transfers made via net-banking are organized in the ‘Transaction History’ section along with other details such as payee’s name, bank account number, the amount paid, the date and time of payment, and remarks.
- Secure Banking System: Your net-banking account as well as financial transactions are secured with log-in and transaction password. Some bank’s net-banking portals use two-factor authentication to secure the account. Ergo, internet banking is a secure payment system for customers.
- Access to other services: Besides fund transfer, net-banking enables the customers to use non-financial services such as balance check, requesting demand draft, issuance of cheque books, applying for a personal loan, tax payment, open FD/RD deposits, start investments, check mortgages, manage a trading account, and more.
Invest in FD and Get the Lifetime FREE Step UP Credit Card
An Excellent Option to Build your Credit Score
Q. How can I access net banking?
Individuals with an operating account in any bank or financial institution can access net-banking. For that, you need to register for internet banking to obtain a unique ID and password. You can download a net-banking application form from your bank’s official net-banking website and submit the same at the bank.
Q. Can I change my net banking password?
Yes, you can change your net-banking password whenever you want. It is suggested that users should change the password at least once every two months. Also, after logging in to the net-banking portal for the first time, all the users must change the password which is issued by the bank.
Q. What precautions should be taken while using net banking?
While using net banking, you must make sure of a few things-
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi
- Always use authentic anti-virus software
- The operating system of your smartphone or device should be updated
- Change your login password at least once in two months
- Avoid logging in to your net-banking portal via mailers
- Do not use public computers to log in to the net-banking portal
Q. What is user ID in net-banking?
Your unique user ID is just like your name which acts as your identity. Most of the banks provide internet banking ID and password as and when you apply for a new account. In case you haven’t received your user ID and password, you need to apply for net-banking at the bank by filling and submitting an application form. After verification, you will receive your credentials to log in to net banking.