Universal Account Number (UAN), a 12 digit number issued by the Ministry of Employment and Labour under the Government of India is provided to each member of the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) through which he can manage his PF accounts.
Every beneficiary of the Employee Provident Fund (EPF) Scheme has been allotted a Universal Account Number (UAN). You become a member of the EPF if you are a salaried employee and have to make a mandatory contribution.
This 12-digit UAN allows an employee to connect all his PF accounts across different organizations and access them on a single platform, that is, the UAN Login Portal. On this portal, a member of EPF can find his KYC details, service record, UAN Card, etc.
The transfer and withdrawal of provident fund amount have also become easier with the epf member e-Sewa!
UAN Member Portal for Employee
First of all, you need to have an activated UAN. For that, visit the EPF Member Portal and go to ‘Activate UAN’ and then provide information about your UAN, member id, mobile number, Aadhaar, PAN, name, date of birth and e-mail id. Click on “Get Authorization PIN” to get the PIN sent on the registered mobile number. Enter this PIN to verify your request and then create a username and password for the UAN portal. Further are steps to login to UAN Member Portal for Employee:
- Visit EPFO Website
- Go to ‘Our services’ and select ‘For Employees’
- Now, navigate to ‘Member UAN/Online Services’
- On the redirected page, enter all the required details- UAN, Mobile Number and PF member ID
- Enter the Captcha
- Click on ‘Get authorisation PIN’
- Select ‘I Agree’ and enter the OTP sent to the registered mobile number
- You will receive the password to access the portal
UAN Member Portal for Employer
The process for employers to log in to the EPFO portal is almost similar to that of the employees. Below are the steps:
- The employer needs to visit EPFO Employer Login page which shows the panel for Establishment Sign In on the right hand side
- ‘Sign In’ using username and password
- The next page will be the main page of the employer’s EPFO portal, where the employer will be able to approve the KYC details of the employee
The prerequisite for the above processes is that the establishment or the employer must have registered the establishment online through Shram Suvidha Portal.
How to Register at UAN Member Portal
You need to activate your UAN before logging into UAN Login Portal. You have to follow the steps mentioned below :
- Visit EPF Member Portal
- Click on the “Activate UAN” present in the “Important Links” section.
- Enter your details and click on “Get Authorization PIN”.
- A PIN will be sent to your mobile number registered with EPFO.
- Enter this PIN to activate your UAN account.
- A system-generated password will be sent to you through SMS.
- It is recommended to change this password after logging in.
Know your UAN status
In order to know your UAN status an employee with an EPF account can follow the following steps:
- Login to the portal for UAN: https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- Select ‘Know your UAN Status’ button
- You can choose to enter your PF number, Member ID, PAN or Aadhaar.
- If you choose the member ID option then other details such as the state you reside in and your office will have to be filled in. Your member ID and pin are available on your salary slip.
- You will also have to enter other details such as date of birth, name, your contact information and the captcha code.
- Click on ‘Get Authorization Pin’.
- You will receive a one time password on your mobile number. Enter the OTP and click on ‘Validate OTP and get UAN’ button.
- Your UAN number and the status will be sent to your number
How to Reset Password at UAN Member Portal
Follow these steps to reset your password :
- Click on “Forgot Password” in the login section
- Now enter your UAN and captcha code
- Send the OTP to the registered mobile number
- Enter this OTP and click on submit
- Now reset your password and login to the UAN portal
UAN Member e-SEWA Portal Login Process
Once you have logged in, you will be able to view your UAN Card, Profile and Service History. However, the passbook facility is not yet offered on the member portal.
- You will have to visit www.epfindia.gov.in >> Our Services >> For Employees >> Member Passbook.
- Login to the EPF passbook portal with your UAN and the same password to download the passbook.
UAN Member e-Sewa Portal Services
The UAN Login Portal offers you comprehensive services related to your EPF account. Here’s all you can do –
On the portal, you can view information related to your EPF Account. There are four types of information you can view on the portal –
1- Profile- Your complete EPF profile is available on the Portal. You can check the same under the ‘View’ tab.
Clicking on ‘Profile’ will lead you to your profile page which contains information such as-
- Date of Birth
- Father’s/Husband’s Name
- Mobile Number
- Email ID
- Whether you are an international worker
- Marital Status
- Differently abled or not
Out of the above information, only the mobile number and email ID can be edited by you.
2- Service History
A person is allotted only one UAN in his lifetime regardless of the number of companies he/she changes. Hence, the same UAN is to be fed by different companies into the system so that the person’s entire EPF contribution can be managed systematically and in a more transparent manner.
Although the UAN remains the same throughout, every organization you work with has to create a new PF account under the same UAN. The “Service Details” section of the website will show the following information for all organizations you have previously worked with including the one you are currently working with-
- Member ID
- Name of the Member
- Name of the Establishment
- Date of Joining EPF
- Date of Ending EPF
- Date of Joining EPS (Employee Pension Scheme)
- Date of Ending EPS (Employee Pension Scheme)
- Date of Joining FPS (Family Pension Scheme)
- Date of Ending FPS (Family Pension Scheme)
3- UAN Card
UAN Card can also be viewed and downloaded from the UAN login Portal. This facility is also available under the ‘View’ menu. This card can also be downloaded and presented at the PF office at the time of offline withdrawal or transfer.
4- EPF Passbook
- Under the ‘View’ menu, passbook option is also made available. However, this facility is not available on the portal. For viewing your passbook, you will have to visit the website- www.epfindia.gov.in.
- Under the Services menu, select the ‘For Employees’ option
- Click on ‘Member Passbook’.
- Now you will have to enter the UAN and Password (the same as e-Sewa Portal)
- Click on the Member ID of your current PF account to access the passbook.
Apart from just viewing the information as given above, you can also manage and modify a few of the details on your own.
1- Email ID and Mobile Number Registration
You can manage your contact details on the member website. For changing the contact number, an authorization pin will be sent to the new number. Once you fill the pin in the space provided, your mobile number will be updated. Similar steps have to be followed to update a new email ID on the UAN Member Portal.
A member of EPF can also update other KYC details such as –
- Bank Account
- Driving License
- Election Card
- Ration Card
- National Population Register
Supporting documents need to be uploaded along with the KYC details and the same should be verified by the employer. Only then it will be updated against the member’s UAN.
Various online services can also be availed such as-
1- Claim (Form 31, 19 and 10C)
With effect from February 2017, the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) has introduced the new composite claim forms to facilitate the full or partial withdrawal of PF. This claim section consists of the three forms – Form 31, 19 and 10C. However, an employee must note that for the purpose of claiming full/partial withdrawal through Composite Claim Form, Aadhaar must be linked to UAN.
You can also request the transfer of your PF amount from the previous account into the current one. Before applying for a PF transfer on the Portal, you should make sure that-
- Your KYC details updated on the website are correct
- Your previous/current bank account details and IFS Code is seeded into the UAN database
- KYC Details are seeded against the UAN
Employees should know that only one transfer request can be claimed on the previous PF account.
3- Track EPF Claim Status
One can also track the EPF claim status on the UAN Login Portal. If you have requested for a claim, the status can be checked in the ‘Track Claim Status’ section. You do not have to enter any acknowledgment number or PF account number.
UAN Customer Care
If a member of EPF is facing difficulty in logging into the Member Portal, he/she can reach out to the customer care team of UAN. The customer support team can be reached via-
- Toll-Free Help Desk- 1800 11 8005
- Email ID- email@example.com
- Raising an issue on the website- www.epfindia.gov.in
- EPFO Regional/Sub Regional office (You can view the directory here- http://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/Contact_us.php)
Please note that the help desk service is available from 9:15 AM to 5:45 PM.
Features of UAN
1. UAN remains the same even when if you change jobs
It is difficult to maintain several PF accounts under different employers and hence the UAN was brought to action to keep consolidated information about all Provident Funds. When you change jobs, you just need to notify your UAN number to your new employer. The new PF account is then linked to your UAN, if your account is old then you need to link PF with UAN.
2. Your UAN number is assigned and stays with your employer
Generally the employers inform the UAN as they credit the amount to Provident Fund Accounts. In case they don’t, you can know your UAN yourself by logging in to the UAN Member Portal. It is possible if your PAN, AADHAAR, and mobile numbers are linked with UAN .
3. UAN provides ease in changing personal details
One may need to change or update the contact and address details when one changes the job or shifts to a new city. With UAN , the process becomes easier as all details are at one place that just need to be edited.
4. UAN helps in convenient money withdrawal
When all PF accounts, even the previous ones with old jobs are registered under one UAN, the money withdrawal becomes very convenient for the employee. This, it gives a simplified system to save time and to keep a track of payments and withdrawals.
Advantages of UAN
There are several advantages of UAN to the employees as below:
- Less Employer Involvement in withdrawals of PF: With UAN, the employer involvement has been reduced as the PF of the old organization will be transferred to the new PF account once KYC verification is complete.
- Fund Transfer Not Required: The employee needs to give his UAN details and KYC to the new employer and the old PF is transferred to the new PF account once the verification is done.
Easily Managed by SMS alerts: Employees receive SMS whenever a contribution is made by the employer after registering at the UAN portal.
1- Why is UAN important?
It is important because when an employee changes jobs, he only needs to update his employer about the same and link the new PF account to it. It helps in keeping all PF account details at one place, also makes withdrawals easier.
2- How to reach the UAN Login Portal?
The URL of UAN Member Portal is- https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
3- How to link a Universal Account Number with AADHAAR card/number?
Visit the EPFO website, login into the account using UAN and password, go to the ‘Manage’ section and click on KYC details when a page opens up where you can link a number of documents to your UAN . Link your AADHAAR Number here.
4- What is the password to login to UAN member e-sewa portal for the first time?
Before logging, you will have to activate your UAN. When you do that, a password will be sent to your registered mobile number which should be used for the first login. It can also be used later but it is advisable to change the password after the first login.
5- Can I view my UAN Card on UAN Login Portal?
Yes. You can view as well as download your UAN Card in the “View” section at the portal.
6- Can I view my EPF passbook on UAN Member Portal?
No. This facility is not yet provided on the UAN Member Portal. Members will have to visit- www.epfindia.gov.in for checking their passbook.
7- Why are my previous member IDs listed on the portal?
All member IDs assigned to the person will be mentioned under the ‘Service Details’ section on the UAN Member Portal. This simplifies transfer and withdrawal claims for the member.
8- Can I change my email ID and mobile number of the EPF Member e-sewa portal?
Yes, these two details can be changed by the user. An authorization pin will be sent on the new mobile number/email id to activate the same.
9- Which documents should I submit for updating KYC Details?
PAN Card, Aadhaar Card, National Population Register, Bank Account Number, Passport, Election Card, Driving License, Ration Card, etc. are accepted for KYC update on the UAN Member Portal.
10- What does the UAN portal showing claim settled means?
When you make a claim using the Claim Forms for crediting the PF amount to your bank account/transferring the money from PF account into your bank account, then the PF Officer checks the claim, approves it and then only the money is credited. Settled means approved & your claim is dispatched by the officer, it will reflect in the bank account soon. It however does not mean that money is credited. It shows pending if under the process of approval.
11- Will a new UAN get generated when I change my job?
No, you have to quote your existing UAN to the new employer so that the new PF account can be linked to the same.
12- How to update your gender at UAN portal?
On the EPFO website, log in to the account using your login using UAN number. Under the tab “Manage”, click on the option “Modify Basic Details”. One needs to enter the linked AADHAAR Number and then s/he can proceed for the entry of the details like name, gender and date of birth as per AADHAAR records.
13- Where to change your date of birth at UAN portal?
As mentioned above, once you login to an EPF account using UAN, under the ‘Manage’ section, click on ‘Modify Basic Details’ and you can change your D.O.B..