While the need to reform the societal structure for women exists all over the world, India has initiated many schemes in order to contribute to the welfare of the female population. There are welfare schemes by central and state governments, which are powered by strong objectives towards a notable change. Kanyashree Prakalpa Yojana is one of the most efficient schemes launched in West Bengal by the State Government.
Kanyashree Prakalpa Yojana was designed by the Department of Women Development and Social Welfare, Government of West Bengal on 8th March 2013. This scheme performs as a conditional cash transfer plan aiming to improve and progress the status of the girl child.
What are the objectives of Kanyashree Prakalpa Yojana?
The scheme focuses on giving a proper structure and refining the status of the girl child. It is particularly brought into action for the well-being of the socio-economically disadvantaged families with a girl child.
- Deject the concept of early marriage and ensuring that laws regarding the minimum age of marriage are duly followed by every family
- Providing educational scholarships in order to encourage the continuation of education for girls in Secondary and Higher Secondary classes. Supporting the girls pursuing sports and other vocational training programmes
- Since the motive was to provide a monetary help as well as a tool of empowerment for the adolescent girls, the Kanyashree Prakalpa Yojana deposits the financial inclusions directly into a bank account in the girls name. This also helps them take their own decisions about the utilization of the money
- Reinforcing the ideas of delayed marriage and increased education
- Increasing the median age of birth by improving Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) and Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR)
- Enhancing social power and augmenting behavioural change in the community
It is envisaged that the longer the girl remains in school, the more they use the opportunity to gain knowledge to become economically independent. The education and knowledge which she attains will prove to be helpful or her own welfare throughout her life.
Components of the Scheme
On the whole, there are two components under the Kanyashree Prakalpa Yojana:
Rs.1000/- as Annual Scholarship: In 2013-14, the scholarship amount was capped at Rs.500/- which is now Rs.1000/-. Provided to unmarried girls from 13 to 18 years
- Studying in classes VIII to XII
- Pursuing education from any Government recognized school/institution
- Studying in any open school
- Pursuing vocational courses or sports training
One-time grant of Rs.25000/- Provided to the girl who have turned 18 at the time of getting enrolled under the scheme.
- Enrolled in government recognised regular/open school
- Pursuing any vocational training or course
- Pursuing sports training
- Living in a home which is registered under J.J. Act 2000
Kanyashree Prakalpa Yojana/Scheme- Eligibility
The Kanyashree Yojana is defined around a certain eligibility criteria. It is accessible for the girls who are:
- Unmarried and Residents of West Bengal
- From the age of 13 to 18 years in families with maximum annual income of Rs.1,20,000/-. This capping on annual income is not valid for the girl child who has lost both parents or is 40% (or more) physically challenged
- Regular students pursuing education or vocational and sports training
- Within the age of 18 to 19 years from Child Care institutes enlisted under J.J.Act of 2000
- Completing the age of 18 years on or after 1st April 2013- For one-time grant amount
The scheme plans to reach out to approximately 18 Lakh girls (students) for annual scholarships every year and approximately 3.5 lakh girls for one-time grant amount every year.
Documents Required for Kanyashree Prakalpa Yojana
Here is a list of documents required for Kanyashree Prakalpa Yojana to be submitted duly by the applicant:
- Birth Certificate of the girl child
- Declaration statement claiming that the beneficiary is unmarried
- Proof of family income below Rs.1,20,000/-
- Disability Certificate (if the beneficiary is unmarried)
- Declaration Statement by the Guardian (in case both the parents of the girl child are deceased) along with the Death certificate of the deceased parents)
- Bank passbook with the name of the girl child, address and account number
How to apply for Kanyashree Prakalpa Yojana?
The girl child who is eligible for the Kanyashree Scheme must follow the application process to attain all the benefits from the plan:
- Obtain the application form from the school/institution. K1 form is to be filled for annual scholarship and K2 form is to be filled for one-time grant
- Get a bank account opened in the name of the girl child (beneficiary). The bank account in the name of the girl is necessary to be opened because all the amount will be deposited in the same account.
- Attach all the required documents. All the above-mentioned documents must be attested, attached and submitted along with the filled application form.
The form along with the documents is to be submitted to the Head Teacher of the school/institution who will then sign and stamp the same accordingly. An acknowledgement receipt is obtained which might be required for future formalities.
How to check application status for the scheme?
Follow the steps to check your application status for Kanyashree Prakalpa Yojana:
- Log-in to the Kanyashree Portal
- Click on “Track Application”
- Fill all the required details- Year, Type of scheme, Applicant ID and DOB. Click “Submit”
- After the application is approved, the benefiting money gets deposited into the bank account of the beneficiary
What is the vision of the scheme?
For the girl children and women to live a considerably respected and independent life, it is very important to establish a good foundation of education. Kanyashree Prakalpa Yojana envisions an improved society which incentivizes influential knowledge to act against the evils of early marriage. The scheme also helps the female to acquire developed identity and capacity to deliver abstract reasoning.