India is counted amongst the countries with the most number of female foeticide cases that eventually lead to a declining sex ratio. The prominent reason of this inclined ratio is the negative ideology of society across regions!
As a loophole to this issue, the Government decided to launch a scheme-Ladli Laxmi Yojana-which will spread awareness on positive thinking about the birth, education and health of a girl child.
What is Ladli Laxmi Yojana?
Ladli Laxmi Yojana was launched by the Government of Madhya Pradesh in 2007. The objective of this scheme is to bring a change in the negative approach of the society towards the birth of a girl child. Additionally, the key initiative was to improve the sex ratio, educational as well as the health status of the girl children. After an overall success of the scheme, other states also adopted and implemented the same for the upliftment of girl child.
When was it launched?
The Ladli Laxmi Yojana had its inception back on 2nd May, 2007 by the chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan. It is currently operational across Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Bihar, Chattisgarh, Goa and Jharkhand. The scheme benefits the girl children born on or after 1st January, 2006 in the non-tax paying family and female orphans.
Features of the scheme
- The scheme focuses on empowerment of girls and initiates to provide them financial assistance
- All the girls registered under this scheme will be advantaged with educational expenses so that her family becomes able to send her to school. However, the girls who drop out from the school will not be able to get the benefits from this scheme
- The Government provides Rs. 1 Lakh to applicant’s family for her marriage
- Girls who are married before the age of 18 will not be benefited under the Ladli Laxmi Yojana
Advantages of the Ladli Laxmi Yojana/Scheme
Ladli Laxmi Yojana was incepted with a view of laying a stronger foundation for the future of a girl child in India. The targets to improve the educational and economic status of the family of the registered girl child to bring positive changes in the views of the society.
- The state government purchases National Savings Certificates (NSC) worth Rs.6000/- every year in the name of the girl child after her birth. The purchase of NSC is continued for five consecutive years until the total amount reaches Rs.30,000/-
- The girl child registered under this scheme will get a certain amount of money when she is promoted to:
- The girl received Rs.200/- every month throughout her education year after class XI till class XII as an addition to Rs.4,000/-
- If the girl is not married before the age of 18 years, she will receive a lump sum amount of Rs.1 lakh when she reaches the age of 21 years
Note: The parents who have adopted a girl child after two alive children will be getting the benefits of Ladli Laxmi Yojana as well. However, they are required to be registered in an Anganwadi centre and should not be paying income tax.
Eligibility for Ladli Laxmi Scheme
Here is a list to know who will be eligible to get the benefits of Ladli Laxmi Yojana:
- The girl child whose parents are a native of Madhya Pradesh. The parents of the girl child must not be paying any kind of tax to the Government
- In case of a second girl child, the parents who have adopted family planning can get the benefits of the scheme
- The lump sum amount of Rs.1 lakh gets released only when the registered girl child is not married before the age of 18 years
- In case the girl leaves her education in between, she will not be eligible to get any benefits of the scheme
- Two girls from a family will be benefited under Ladli Laxmi Yojana. However, in case the girls are twins then the third girl child will also get the benefit
- The scheme stands valid only for the ones people below poverty line
- An orphan girl child can receive the benefits of this scheme only when she is adopted and the certificate of adoption is duly submitted by the family
- Application form available on ladlilaxmi.mp.gov.in
- Birth Certificate of the girl child
- Residence Proof
- Photocopy of the passbook of the applicant attached with bank name, branch name, account no. etc.
- Identity Proof- Aadhaar card, Ration card
- Photograph of the beneficiary
Online Application Process
Follow the given steps to apply for the Ladli Laxmi Yojana online:
- Visit ladlilaxmi.mp.gov.in and click on “Application Letter” to proceed
- There are three options on the page- Public Service Management, General Public and Project Officer
- Select and Click on “General Public”
- Read and Fill the form carefully. Click on “Save” to apply
- The applicant is required to attach scanned copies of all the mandatory documents with the application form and click on submit to send the form for further selection process
It is to be noted that applications can be submitted through the help of an Anganwadi worker from the Project Office/Public Service Centre or any Internet Cyber Cafe. Moreover, all the documents must be attested by the Project Office for acceptance of the case.
Since the implementation of Ladli Laxmi Yojana, a wave of positive attitude towards the birth of the girl child is coming up amongst the society. With the monetary assistance for the education and marriage of the girl, the vision of girls as a burden on the family is also changing rapidly.
In case of any discrepancies, contact the helpline for further assistance:
Women Empowerment Centre
Block-II, Habitat Building 4th Floor, Bhopal-462011
Contact No.: 0755-2550917