India is counted amongst the countries with the highest number of female foeticide cases that eventually lead to a declining sex ratio. The prominent reason of this declined ratio is the negative ideology of society across regions. To resolve this issue, the Government launched a scheme, Ladli Laxmi Yojana, to spread awareness on positive thinking about the birth, education and health of a girl child.
Table of Contents :
What is Ladli Laxmi Yojana
Ladli Laxmi Yojana was launched by the Government of Madhya Pradesh in 2007. The objective of this scheme is to bring a change in the negative approach of the society towards the birth of a girl child. Additionally, the key initiative was to improve the sex ratio, educational as well as the health status of the girl children. After an overall success of the scheme, other states also adopted and implemented the same for the upliftment of the girl child.
When was Ladli Laxmi Yojana Launched
The Ladli Laxmi Yojana had its inception back in April 2007 by the then chief minister of Madhya Pradesh, Shivraj Singh Chouhan. It is currently operational across Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Goa and Jharkhand. The scheme benefits the girl children born on or after 1st January, 2006 in the non-tax paying families and female orphans.
Objectives of Ladli Laxmi Yojana
Some key objectives of the Ladli Laxmi Yojana are:
- Improve the sex ratio index in Madhya Pradesh and later in other parts of the country as well
- Create positive thinking towards the birth of girl child in general public
- Improve the health and education status of girls in the society
- Population growth rate reduction
- Promote family planning, particularly discourage the desire to have a boy after the birth of two girls
- Provide a good foundation for the bright future of the girl child
- Stop female infanticide/foeticide
- Create a positive and enabling environment for the development of the girl child
- Discourage child marriage and encourage marriage at a legally acceptable age
Features of Ladli Laxmi Yojana
The scheme focuses on empowerment of girls and initiates to provide them financial assistance. Some key features of the Ladli Laxmi Yojana are:
- All the girls registered under this scheme will be advantaged with educational expenses so that their family becomes able to send them to school. However, the girls who drop out from the school will not be able to get the benefits from this scheme
- The Government provides Rs. 1 Lakh to applicant’s family for her marriage
- Girls who are married before the age of 18 will not be benefited under the Ladli Laxmi Yojana
Advantages of the Ladli Laxmi Yojana/Scheme
Ladli Laxmi Yojana was incepted with a view of laying a stronger foundation for the future of a girl child in India. It targets to improve the educational and economic status of the family of the registered girl child to bring positive changes in the views of the society.
- Under the Ladli Laxmi Yojana scheme, an Assurance Certificate of Rs. 1,18,000 is issued in the name of the girl child
- This amount is given to the girl child registered under the scheme when she is promoted to:
|If the girl is not married before the age of 18 years, she will receive a lump sum amount of Rs. 1 lakh when she reaches the age of 21 years|
- Moreover, the girl will receive Rs. 200/- every month throughout her education year after class XI till class XII as an addition to Rs. 4,000/-
Note: The parents who have adopted a girl child after two alive children will be getting the benefits of Ladli Laxmi Yojana as well. However, they are required to be registered in an Anganwadi centre and should not be paying income tax.
Eligibility for Ladli Laxmi Yojana
Given below are the eligibility criteria required to avail the benefits of the Ladli Laxmi Yojana:
- The girl child should be born on or after January 1, 2006
- The girl child needs to be registered in the local Anganwadi center
- The girl child’s parents should be natives of the respective states where the registration is done.
- The parents of the girl child must not be paying any kind of tax to the Government
- The application to receive the benefits under Ladli Laxmi Yojana needs to be submitted within 1 year of birth of the girl child. However, if the scheme application is not made within 1 year of birth of the girl child, an appeal can be made within the next year to the district collector in which the girl child resides. The discretion to accept/reject the application lies solely with the collector.
- Also, in case of death of the parents of the girl child, the application can be submitted within 5 years of the birth of such girl child.
- In case of a second girl child, parents who have adopted family planning can get the benefits of the scheme
- The lump sum amount of Rs. 1 lakh gets released only when the registered girl child is not married before the age of 18 years
- In case the girl leaves her education in between, she will not be eligible to get any benefits of the scheme
- Two girls from a family will be benefited under Ladli Laxmi Yojana. However, in case the girls are twins then the third girl child will also get the benefit
- The scheme stands valid only for people below the poverty line
- An orphan girl child can receive the benefits of this scheme only when she is adopted and the certificate of adoption is duly submitted by the family
Documents Required for Ladli Laxmi Yojana
- Application form available on the Ladli Laxmi Yojana website
- Overall ID and family ID of the girl child
- Photograph of the girl child with mother/father
- Family planning certificate (in case of second girl child)
- In case you are applying online, the required documents can only be in jpg, jpeg, png, gif, JPG, JPEG, PNG, GIF etc. formats and no other format is valid
- The size of all documents can only be between 40 KB to 200 KB
Application Process for Ladli Laxmi Yojana
You can apply for the Ladli Laxmi Yojana both online and offline. The Ladli Laxmi Yojana form needs to be submitted along with the necessary documents mentioned above.
Online Application Process
Follow the given steps to apply for the Ladli Laxmi Yojana online:
- Visit mp.gov.in and click on the “Apply” button to proceed
- Tick mark the self-declaration and click on “Go Ahead”
- Read and fill the form carefully. Click on “Save”to apply
- You are also required to attach scanned copies of all the mandatory documents with the application form and click on submit to send the form for further selection process
It is to be noted that applications can be submitted through the help of an Anganwadi worker from the Project Office/Public Service Centre or any Internet Cyber Cafe. Moreover, all the documents must be attested by the Project Office for acceptance of the case.
Offline Application Process
In case you wish to apply for the Ladli Laxmi Yojana offline, you need to physically submit the application form along with the relevant documents to the officer in-charge of the registration center at the Lok Seva Kendra. The Ladli Laxmi Yojana form can be availed the Anganwadi centers, Gram Panchayat or Municipal Corporations in the State.
Upon submission, the application is sent for further processing and once approved, the monetary benefits will be transferred to the applicant’s bank account directly.
Since the implementation of Ladli Laxmi Yojana, a wave of positive attitude towards the birth of the girl child is coming up in the society. With the monetary assistance for the education and marriage of the girl, the vision of girls as a burden on the family is also changing rapidly.
FAQs on Ladli Laxmi Yojana
Q. Is Ladli Laxmi Yojana applicable for all the girls of Madhya Pradesh?
Ans. No, the Ladli Laxmi Yojana is applicable only for girls belonging to the lower-income sections of society, that is, families below the poverty line and who are not liable to pay tax.
Q. Do I have to pay any charges to apply for Ladli Laxmi Yojana?
Ans. No, you need not pay any fees/charges to apply for Ladli Laxmi Yojana.
Q. Can the benefits of the scheme be availed by a girl child born to women prisoners in jail or rape victims?
Ans. Yes, the Ladli Laxmi Yojana scheme benefits can be availed by eligible girl child born to women prisoners in jail or girl child born to rape victims.
Q. Can poor girl children of other states avail the facilities of Ladli Laxmi Yojana?
Ans. Yes, Girls from Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Goa and Jharkhand can avail benefits of this facility.