EPFO (Employees’ Provident Fund Organization) is a statutory body constituted by the Government of India to manage the EPF under the Employees’ Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952. EPFO Portal is the official government site that provides all the information related to Employees Provident Fund. You can go for EPFO login on the EPF Member e-SEWA Portal/UAN member portal to avail services such as using your UAN (Universal Account Number) to check and claim your contribution towards Provident Fund, e-Nomination, e-KYC and more services.
Get Free Credit Report with monthly updates. Check Now
Table of Contents:
EPFO operates the following three schemes:
- The Employees’ Provident Funds Scheme 1952 (EPF)
- The Employees’ Pension Scheme 1995 (EPS)
- The Employees’ Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme 1976 (EDLI)
An EPF account holder can now avail of multiple online services on the EPFO website. A brief account of these services and how you can access them has been described below:
How to Register on EPFO Portal
You can avail of a host of online services by registering on the EPFO member portal. If you are an EPF account holder, you can register yourself at the EPFO portal by following the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the EPFO member portal and click on “Activate UAN”
- You need to provide personal details for registration such as your UAN/member ID along with your Aadhaar number, DOB, name, mobile number and captcha code.
- Once you enter the required details and submit, an authorization PIN will be sent to the registered mobile number. Enter the PIN to validate your details. Congratulations, you have successfully registered on EPF/UAN member portal.
Also Read: How to link UAN with Aadhaar?
EPFO Login for Employees & Employers
Given below are the key steps for EPFO employee login:
- Go to the EPFO Unified Login portal
- Under ‘Services’ section, click on ‘For Employees’.
- As the new dashboard opens up, go to Member UAN/Online Services (in the ‘Services’ section). You can also go directly to the EPFO Member Portal/e-SEWA Portal.
- Now login using UAN which is possible if you have an activated UAN (Universal Account Number). Below the ‘login’ section, there’s also an option to activate UAN. In case you have not activated it, click on ‘Activate UAN’ and follow the instructions as mentioned above as ‘How to Register on EPFO Portal?’
- Once your UAN is activated, EPFO member portal login can be done any time to check Provident Fund balance, the status of any claim like PF settlement or Partial PF Withdrawal.
EPFO employer login process involves the following steps:
- Visit EPFO Official site and click on ‘For Employers’ under the ‘Services’ section.
- Click on ‘Online ECR/Challan Submission/OTCP’ under ‘Services’ from the new dashboard that opens up the next page. One can go directly to the EPF Unified Portal for Employers (make sure you login in ‘Employer’s Sign In’ and not ‘Establishment Sign In’, or switch the option that displays below the sign in tab)
- An Employer can login using Username after he has successfully registered his Establishment. In the ‘Services’ section, there’s an option for ‘Online Registration of Establishment’. Read the instruction manual and proceed.
Your Credit Score Is Now Absolutely Free Check Now
EPFO Password Reset
In case you have forgotten your EPFO UAN login password, you can reset your password by following the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the EPFO/UAN member e-Sewa Portal and click on the ‘Forgot Password’ option.
- Enter your Universal Account Number (UAN) and verify it with the given captcha
- Enter your name, date of birth and gender and click on ‘Verify’
- Enter the captcha code, your Aadhaar number, give consent and click on ‘Verify’
- Now verify your registered mobile number on which OTP will be sent
- Submit the OTP that you have received on the registered mobile number. You will be redirected to the password reset page
- Enter the new password and click on ‘Confirm’
Services Offered at EPFO Portal
1. One Employee-One EPF Account
One Employee-One EPFO Account is a facility recently launched by EPFO at its portal under which an EPF account holder can merge all their PF accounts under his UAN without the intervention of the employer. The facility ensures that multiple accounts are merged and consolidated under one UAN as soon as possible.
2. EPFO Member Passbook Download
EPFO member passbook basically records all the transactions related to contributions/withdrawals made to the EPF as well as EPS account. The passbook also contains the details of the interest credited to the account of the EPF subscriber. You can now access and download your EPF passbook online using your UAN on the UAN member portal.
Also Read: How to Download Your EPF Member Passbook
3. Pensioner’s Portal
EPFO website also provides Pensioner’s Portal to answer pension-related queries. Pensioners can check their Pension Payment Order (PPO) number, passbook details, information related to pension credit and also submit Jeevan Praman Patra.
Also Read: Know More About Jeevan Praman Patra
4. Electronic Challan cum Return (ECR) portal
The employer has to register with the e-Sewa portal in order to generate a user ID and a password. Once the employer is logged in, the Electronic Challan cum Return (ECR) has to be uploaded along with the digital signature of the employer.
5. Principal Employer
For effective compliance, this facility interlinks the principal with the respective contract employer. The principal employer can upload the details with respect to the contract workers/work orders/outsourced job contracts to extend the coverage of EPF to more eligible employers.
Principal employer’s registration can be categorized into two:
- Establishment already registered with the EPFO with an establishment code and mobile number
- Government Departments / Organizations / Institutions not registered with the EPFO with a mobile number and PAN
6. TRRN Query
TRRN stands for Temporary Return Reference Number (TRRN). It is using a temporary number to check the status of PF challan payment. It can be downloaded in PDF format without logging into the PF portal. The status of the Temporary Return Reference Number (TRRN) can be checked online.
EPFO has set up a separate helpdesk for employees and employers with respect to UAN. One can ask his query through phone or by sending an email to EPF India. One can contact at 1800-118-005.
8. COC Application Form for International Workers
For the assistance of employers and employees, the Government of India has signed various agreements with the countries with respect to social security benefits that India and the corresponding country would provide to the migrant workers. The countries that have signed the agreement with the Government of India are – Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, France, Denmark, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Finland, Hungary, Norway, Sweden, Czech Republic, Republic of Korea and Canada.
These international workers can use the EPFO website to apply for a Certificate of Coverage or fill up the Certificate of Coverage (COC) application form. This can simply be done by entering certain key information pertaining to the employee and the employer. The Indian citizen should have any of the following identity proofs to complete their application for the UAN –Aadhaar Card, PAN card, passport, or the voter’s ID.
Get Free Credit Report with Complete Analysis of Credit Score Check Now
e-KYC for EPFO
- Login to UAN member e-Sewa portal using your UAN and password
- Click on the ‘Manage’ tab and select the ‘KYC’ option shown in the dropdown menu.
- Now you can fill KYC details such as PAN, Aadhaar, Passport, Driving Licence, Ration Card, Election Card, National Population Register and Bank details.
- Tick on the box of the given KYC option which you want to update and enter the details associated with that option.
- Click on ‘Save’. Your data will be saved under the ‘Pending KYC’ section
- Now you details will be verified by the EPFO with the respective department. For example, your PAN will be verified from the Income Tax Department
- Once successfully verified by the concerned department, your KYC will be updated on the portal
How to Download EPF Passbook Online
EPF account holders can download and print the EPF passbook online using the EPF member portal. If you have registered yourself on the EPFO member portal, you can follow the steps mentioned below to download your EPF passbook.
- Visit the Member Passbook page on EPFO website
- Login using your UAN and EPFO India login password
- Member IDs of all EPF accounts linked with your UAN will be displayed on the screen. Click on the Member ID for which you want to see the passbook details
- Your passbook will be displayed on the screen which you can also download
How to Get Claim Forms at EPFO Portal
If you have linked your Aadhaar to your UAN, then you can raise a claim for partial or full withdrawal of EPF funds when unemployed and also at the time of retirement through claim settlement forms i.e. Form 31, 19, 10C & 10D. Apart from that, you can also raise a request to transfer funds online. One needs to log in using UAN and go to ‘Claim (Form 31, 19, 10C & 10D) under ‘Online Services’ section. Member details are displayed where the person needs to verify his bank details.
Also Read: How to claim PF online?
UMANG – Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance
The Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance (UMANG) is a Government of India all-in-one single unified secure multi-channel and multi-lingual app for e-governance. It is a single platform to use multiple citizen-centric services offered by local, state and central government bodies pan India. One can locate CBSE Centres, apply for Aadhar and use EPFO services among several others using this app.
Digital Services/SMS/Missed Call
You can use the Digital Services through UMANG App/official websites. You can send EPF Balance Request on 7738299899 that offers 24×7 support and in 10 languages including English and Hindi. It is one-to-one communication and less time-consuming. Registered members on UAN Member Portal can give a missed call on 9966044425 from their registered mobile numbers where they get details of their last PF contribution and PF balance.
Frequently Asked Questions on EPFO Login
Q1. How to Check EPF Grievance Status?
In order to address the grievances of the employer, EPFO has set up the EPFO grievance management system. An aggrieved employer can register his grievances by filling an online form. Grievances like Transfer of PF accumulations, Pension settlement, etc. are entertained by EPF India through this portal.
Q2. How to check Claim Status on EPFO?
You can now check the current status of any claim raised earlier by visiting the EPFO Portal. Go to the section of ‘Our Services’ and click on ‘For Employees’. You get the option of ‘Know Your Claim status’.
Q3. What are the other ways to check EPF Claim Status?
You can check EPF claim status through UAN Member Portal by logging in, through EPFO Website by entering PF Account Number or UAN, by calling EPFO toll-Free number and using Umang App. In UMANG app, go to Employee Centric Services and select EPF. Click on ‘Track Claim’ and enter UAN to know the status. You can also take help from the helpdesk.
Q4. How to Transfer EPF online?
The need for a transfer arises whenever the employee switches jobs. The employee needs to log in to the EPFO UAN login portal using UAN and go to ‘Online Services’ and click on ‘Transfer Request’.
Q5. How to Register your Mobile Number on EPFO?
- Visit EPFO Login Portal
- Click on “Activate UAN”
- Enter your UAN, name, date of birth, mobile number and email id
- Now click on “Get Authorization Pin”
- An OTP will be sent to your mobile number
- Enter the OTP to activate your UAN and this mobile number will also be registered with your EPF
Get a Credit Card that matches your Grade Pay
Check Pre-approved Offers and Apply Instantly
Aadhaar Seeding Mandatory for all EPF Accounts- June 1, 2021
As on 1st June 2021, EPFO has announced that Aadhaar Seeding is mandatory for all EPF accounts. Employers have been directed that ECR (Electronic Challan cum Return) is allowed only for accounts where the employee’s Aadhaar is seeded. This means if your Aadhaar is not linked to your EPF account, the employer’s contribution will not get credited to your EPF account. This decision has been taken under Section 142 of the Social Security Code 2020.
EPF interest rate retained at 8.50% for FY 2020-21 - Announced on March 4th, 2021
EPFO, on March 4th, 2021, announced the EPF rate of interest at 8.50%, keeping it the same as of the previous year 2019-20. In 2019-18, members of EPFO earned an 8.65% of interest on their contributions towards the government saving scheme.
This year, this rate of 8.50% shall benefit 6 crore subscribers.
Important: To receive EPF interest, subscribers should make sure that there KYC details are updated and correct as per their PAN and bank records. Due to KYC mismatch, the interest payment of approximately 40 lakh subscribers for the financial year 2019-20 was delayed.
Budget 2021 - EPF contributions of more than Rs. 2.5 lakh to be taxed
8.65% Interest for EPFO Members 2018-19
Over 6 Crore Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) members will be benefited with 8.65% interest on the deposits for 2018-19, says the Labour Minister Santosh Gangwar. The decision of hike in the interest rate has been approved by the Central Board of Trustees, which is the highest decision making body of EPFO, in February last year. Afterwards, the proposal was sent to finance ministry for their agreement. The present interest rate on PF accounts is 8.55 which was approved by the governing bodies for 2017-18.
Hike in EPFO Corpus by Rs.15000 Crore After EPF in J&K
In effect to the recently bifurcated Union Territories of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh, the Employees Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act 1952 will be implemented from October 2019.
The meeting of the Central Board of Trustees of the Employee’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), held in August 2019, initiated a decision regarding the implementation of the scheme in J&K and Ladakh under the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act 2019, and the abolition of Article 370.
The EPFO is all set to witness an increase in its corpus by Rs.15000 crore as the central retirement fund body takes over the corpus which is managed by the J&K Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation until now. More than 12000 firms and establishments will be enlisted under the EPFO.
Jammu & Kashmir was formerly governed by their in-house EPF scheme of 1961 and Employees Deposit Linked Insurance (EDLI) linked scheme of 2000. However, on the 5th of August 2019, President Ram Nath Kovind issued a new order wherein all the provisions in the Constitution of India will be applicable to J&K further making all the existing clauses of Article 370 inactive.
The central EPF orders will come into action from October 31 as reported, after the two Union Territories will come into existence.
EPFO: Three-Day Settlement Period for KYC issues
To address and resolve the KYC issues and employees’ complaints about the Universal Account Number (UAN), the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation has put forward to organise a three-day settlement period.
The inability to generate the UAN due to mismatch in the data was acknowledged by the authorities recently. Following this, the Central Provident Fund Commissioner Sunil Barthwal, during an event by the Confederation of Indian Industry in Bangalore asserted that they are planning to introduce an alternative authentication for employee database. He also mentioned about the proposal of the three-day settlement period for KYC complaints.
Moreover, according to Barthwal, to curtail any kind of harassment, an e-inspection system will be introduced which will simplify the inspection process and ensure avoiding any kind of physical inspection until absolute necessity.
A Newly Introduced Service by EPFO: E-Inspection System
The Employee’s Provident Fund scheme is going to introduce a whole new service in the name of e-inspection system which will eventually make the inspection process manageable and effortless. This service will be eliminating the physical inspection for the organisations with open communications until absolutely necessary.
‘The CII (Confederation of Indian Industry) proposed that in order to retrench harassment, the enquiry period must be limited to maximum 2-years’; confirms Sunil Barthwal, Central Provident Fund Commissioner. Barthwal also asserts that since there are employees unable to generate UAN (Universal Account Number for employees entitled to EPF) because of mismatch in the data, EPFO is working on an alternative for authentication regarding the database.
Last week, a news regarding hike in EPF interest rate to 8.65% in the financial year 2018-2019 was also confirmed. The improvement in the system will bring joy for thousands of employees and also curtail “misuse and corruption”.
Growth in Net Payroll at EPFO
The recent payroll statistics of Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has shown a 43% increase in the net employment generation for the month of June as compared to the last month. In the month of May, the net addition of employees was counted at 8,56,870 which has now increased to 12,23,657 for June 2019. On the other hand, Employees State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) reported a 5% decline in net employment generation for June.
According to the EPFO numbers, age brackets of 26 and above reflected highest percentage rise of 54% whereas 35% rise was recorded for ones below the age of 26 years.