EPF passbook is a document that contains all contributions made by the employee as well as the employer in EPF and EPS accounts. Details of all the monthly contributions made as well as the interest accumulated in the beneficiary’s account is listed in the EPF passbook. It is noteworthy that if you have multiple EPF accounts, you will have separate passbooks for each account that can be accessed using the specific member ID after logging in to the account. However, you will have to register your UAN (Universal Account Number) on the official EPFO website to access your EPF passbook.
Read on to know more about how you can view/download your EPF passbook online as well as the other ways to check your EPF account balance.
Get FREE Credit Report from Multiple Credit Bureaus Check Now
How to Download EPF Passbook Online
Members of EPFO can download and print their EPF passbook online. This service can be availed through the EPF website. Let us have a look at how an employee can download e-passbook from the EPF portal:
1. Visit the Member Passbook page on EPFO Website (https://passbook.epfindia.gov.in/MemberPassBook/Login.jsp).
2. Enter your UAN and password generated at the EPF member portal. Now click on the “Login” button.
3. Member IDs of all EPF accounts linked with your UAN will be displayed on the screen. Click on the EPF Member ID under “Select Member ID” to view the passbook.
4. Your EPF passbook will open in pdf format. You can download and pint this passbook as well.
How to Download EPF Member Passbook using UMANG App
This method allows you to download EPF passbook online without visiting the EPF passbook login portal. To download your EPF Passbook using the UMANG app, simply follow the steps given below:
1. Download the UMANG app from Google Play Store or App Store.
2. Select the “EPFO” option listed under ‘All Services’ tab
3. Under ‘Employee Centric Service’, click on ‘ View Passbook’
4. Enter your UAN to get an OTP on your registered mobile number
5. To proceed further, enter the OTP received
6. You will see Member IDs of all EPF accounts linked with your UAN. Click on the EPF Member ID for which you wish to view and download the EPF passbook.
Read More: Why you should download Umang App for EPF
Get FREE Credit Report from Multiple Credit Bureaus Check Now
EPF Passbook Details
The EPF passbook of an employee contains the following details:
- Establishment ID and the name of the company (Employer)
- Member ID and the member’s name (Employee)
- Name of the EPFO office and its type
- Employee’s and employer’s share in the contribution
- Monthly depository & withdrawal contribution of the employee and the employer
- Monthly contribution towards the pension account of the employee
- The date and time of the printing of the passbook are also mentioned at the end of the statement
How is your EPF Passbook Updated
EPF passbook is updated by EPFO as soon as a contribution is made to the employee’s account. However, the date is not mentioned in the passbook. It contains the month and year in which the contribution is made. In case you do not find your EPF passbook updated, it is advisable that you wait for a few days and log in to the portal again to get the updated passbook.
The employer contributes 8.33% of the employee’s basic salary and dearness allowance in the EPS account of the employee every month. In case this salary component of the employee comes to be around Rs. 15,000, the employer contributes Rs. 1,250 in the EPS account of the employee. The pension contribution can be seen in the last column of the EPF passbook.
Other Ways to Check your EPF Account Balance
If you do not want to go for the EPF passbook download and check the EPF balance only, you can do so through SMS, missed calls, e-passbook, etc. Let us know how to check EPF balance online and offline:
EPF Balance Check via SMS
To know your EPF account balance via SMS simply type “EPFOHO UAN ENG” and send an SMS to 7738299899 from your registered mobile number. Do note that ENG stands for English. You can receive your account balance in ten different vernacular languages.
EPF Balance Check via Missed Call
You can also check your EPF balance using your mobile number. To know your EPF account balance via missed call, simply dial 011-22901406 from your registered mobile number.
Benefits of EPFO e-Passbook
- The EPFO e-passbook can be accessed anytime-anywhere through the EPFO website or the UMANG app.
- UAN is needed to access the e-passbook. EPF documents may be used to prepare for retirement and verify payment information at the employer’s end.
- In case of a mistake, the e-passbook can be used to validate the information and rectify it.
- In case of a change in occupation, EPF members (employers) can update their e-passbook from the portal. The e-passbook serves as a permanent record of the EPF contributions.
FAQs on EPF Passbook
Q. Who can download the EPF passbook online?
EPFO provides the facility to view the e-passbooks online only to those members who are registered at the EPF member portal.
Q. What is the EPF interest rate for FY 2022-2023?
The EPF interest rate is reviewed annually. EPF interest rate for FY 2022-23 is 8.10%.
Q. When is the EPF passbook generated online?
The passbook is generated within 6 hours of registration of the member at the EPF portal.
Q. When will the passbook updated online reflect in the passbook?
Any updated details or changes made on the portal will reflect in the passbook after 6 hours.
Q. Are entries mentioned in the passbook validated by EPFO?
The entries in the e-passbook are reconciled in the field offices of EPFO and updated in the passbook.
Q. Is the EPF passbook facility available for all? If not, who cannot avail these facilities?
No, the EPF member passbook facility is not available for all entities. The following entities cannot avail this facility online :
- Exempted Establishments Members
- Settled Members
- Inoperative Members
Q. What is the format of EPF passbook and is a password required to open the document?
The downloaded passbook is in pdf format and it does not require any password to open the document. You do not need the password that was set for the EPF member portal to open this document.
Q. How to login if I forget the EPF password?
In case you have forgotten the EPF passbook password, you can go for EPF password reset at the EPF unified member portal.
Q. Can I access Passbook without using UAN?
EPF passbook statement download is not possible without using UAN as it is mandatory to login to the EPF account to download the PF passbook online as well as through the Umang app.