EPF member passbook is a document that contains all contributions made by the employee as well as the employer in EPF and EPS accounts. Detailed contributions made every month are mentioned in the passbook. The passbook also contains any interest that has been deposited in the beneficiary’s account. It is noteworthy that if you have multiple EPF accounts, you will have separate passbooks for each account that can be accessed using the specific member ID after logging in to the account.
How to Download EPF Member Passbook
Members of EPFO can download and print their EPF Passbook online. This service can be availed through the EPF website. Let us have a look on how an employee can download e-passbook from the EPF portal:
- Visit the Member Passbook page on EPFO Website (https://passbook.epfindia.gov.in/MemberPassBook/Login.jsp).
- Enter your UAN and password generated at the EPF member portal. Now click on the “Login” button.
- Member IDs of all EPF accounts linked with your UAN will be displayed on the screen. Click on the EPF Member ID under “Select Member ID to View Passbook”.
- Your passbook will open in the next tab in the pdf format. This passbook can be downloaded and printed directly as well.
EPF Member Passbook Details
The EPF passbook of an employee contains the following details:
- Establishment ID and the name of the company (Employer).
- Member ID and the member’s name (Employee).
- Name of the EPFO office and its type.
- Employee’s and Employer’s share in the contribution.
- Monthly depository & withdrawal contribution of the employee and the employer.
- Monthly contribution towards the pension account of the employee.
- The date and time of the printing of the passbook is also mentioned at the end of the statement.
How is your EPF Passbook Updated?
EPF passbook is updated by EPFO as soon as a contribution is made in the employee’s account. Even though the date is not mentioned in the passbook, but it contains month and year in which the contribution is made. In case you do not find your EPF passbook updated, it is advisable that you wait for a few days and login to the portal again to get the updated passbook.
The employer contributes 8.33% of the employee’s basic salary and dearness allowance in the EPS account of the employee every month. In case this salary component of the employee comes to be around ₹ 15,000, the employer contributes ₹1250 in the EPS account of the employee. The pension contribution can be seen in the last column of the EPF passbook.
FAQs related to EPF passbook
1. Who can download EPF passbook online?
Ans: EPFO provides the facility to view the e-passbooks online only to those members who are registered at the EPF member portal.
2. When is the EPF passbook generated online?
Ans: The EPF passbook is generated within 6 hours of registration of the member at the EPF portal.
3. When will the update done online reflect in the passbook?
Ans:Any updated details or changes made on the portal will reflect in the passbook after 6 hours.
4. Are entries mentioned in the passbook validated by EPFO?
Ans: The entries in the e-passbook are reconciled in field offices of EPFO and updated in the passbook.
5. Is the EPF passbook facility available for all? If not, who cannot avail these facilities?
Ans:No, the EPF member passbook facility is not available for all entities. Following entities cannot avail this facility online :
- Exempted Establishments Members
- Settled Members
- Inoperative Members
6. What is the format of EPF passbook and is a password required to open the document?
Ans: The downloaded EPF passbook is in the pdf format and it does not require any password to open the document. You do not need the password that was set for the EPF member portal to open this document.
7. How to login if I forget the EPF password?
Ans: In case you have forgotten the password, you can go for EPF password reset at the EPF unified member portal.
8. Can I access EPF Passbook without using UAN?
A. It is not possible to access EPF passbook without using UAN as it is mandatory to login to the EPF account to download the PF passbook online as well as through the Umang app.
Read About Why you should download Umang App for EPF