The PRAN or Permanent Retirement Account Number is a unique 12 digit number that identifies those individuals who have registered themselves under the National Pension Scheme (NPS). After allocation of PRAN, the NPS subscribers have an option of receiving a physical copy of their PRAN on a PRAN card. Since the PRAN card serves as the unique identifier for an NPS subscriber, a PRAN once allocated cannot be changed for the subscriber throughout his/her life.
You can apply for PRAN Card using either of the offline and online modes-
Get Your Free Credit Report with Monthly Updates Check Now
How to Apply for PRAN Card Offline
In order to apply for PRAN using the offline mode, you can simply visit your nearest Point-of-Presence (PoP) under the National Pension System, which is usually your bank. PoPs are authorised to carry out a range of NPS-related activities including accepting deposits, forwarding applications related to transfer of NPS account, partial withdrawal applications, nomination change applications, etc.
Get the complete list of NPS PoPs here
PRAN Card Application Form
Since PRAN (Permanent Retirement Account Number) is primarily issued to the subscribers of the National Pension System, the PRAN card application form is the same as the one used to subscribe to NPS. The following is a snapshot of the PRAN Card Application Form (NPS Application Form Annexure S1):
Key sections of note when applying for a PRAN Card include-
- Personal details of the subscriber
- Employment details of the subscriber
- Nomination details of the subscriber
- Subscriber scheme details
- Declaration by subscriber to PFRDA (Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority)
How to Apply for PRAN Card Online
You can complete the entire account opening process online at the NSDL or Karvy website. They are the CRAs entrusted with maintaining and opening NPS accounts in India. Using the online portal, you can apply for PRAN either through your Aadhar Card or your PAN Card. Mentioned below are the detailed steps-
Apply for PRAN using Aadhar
- NPS KYC can be completed using Aadhaar OTP (One Time Password) authentication
- The Aadhaar OTP is sent to the mobile number registered on the Aadhaar database
- Your demographic details and photo will be fetched from the Aadhaar database and automatically populated into the online form
- You may need to fill up all the mandatory details online
- You would be required to upload your scanned signature (in *.jpeg/*.jpg format with file size between 4kb – 12kb) as part of the registration process
- If you wish to replace the photo obtained from Aadhaar, you may upload a scanned photograph
- You will be routed to a payment gateway for making the payment towards your NPS account from Debit/ Credit card or Internet Banking
Apply for PRAN using PAN
In order to apply for PRAN using your PAN Card, it is mandatory that you have a (Permanent Account Number) PAN Card. Following are the key points that you should consider as your apply for PRAN through PAN-
- You must have a bank account with the empanelled Bank for KYC verification for subscriber registration through eNPS
- Your KYC verification will be done by the Bank selected by you during the registration process
- Name and address provided during registration should match with the bank records for KYC verification
- If the details don’t match, the request is liable for rejection. In case of rejection of KYC by the selected Bank, applicant is requested to contact the Bank
- You need to fill up all the mandatory details online
- You need to upload your scanned photograph and signature in *.jpeg/*.jpg format having file size between 4kb – 12kb
- You will be routed to a payment gateway for making the payment towards your NPS account from Internet Banking
NRI PRAN Card Application Process
While applying for a PRAN Card, NRI subscribers should follow the given steps-
- Select the Bank Account Status i.e., Non-Repatriable account or Repatriable account
- Provide the NRE/NRO bank account details and upload a scanned copy of passport
- Select the preferred address for communication – Overseas Address (communication at overseas address would entail extra charges) or Permanent Address in India
A high Credit Score may help you get a credit card with better benefits. Check Now
Documents for Online PRAN Card Application
In order to apply for PRAN Card, you must furnish the following documents-
- Aadhar Card
- PAN card or Permanent Account Number that is issued to you by the Income Tax department
- Scanned copy of passport-sized photograph
- Scanned copy of bank passbook/cancelled cheque
- Scanned copy of your signature
- Scanned copy of passport (mandatory for NRI applicants)
Kindly note that the file size of scanned copy of documents mentioned above is required to be between 4kb and 12kb and in the .jpeg/.jpg format only.
How to Activate your PRAN Card
The easiest way to get your PRAN card activated is to get the document electronically signed by using the eSign option. If you have generated PRAN card using Aadhaar, you have option to eSign the document by implementing the following steps-
- Select the ‘eSign’ option in the eSign/Print & Courier page and you will be directed to the following page to generate OTP for the PRAN Card activation process
- OTP for the purpose of authentication will be sent to your mobile number registered with Aadhaar
- After Authentication using Aadhaar OTP, registration form will be successfully eSigned and a confirmation message regarding the same will be displayed
- Once the document is eSigned, you need not send the physical copy of the form to CRA for activation of your PRAN card
- eSign service is chargeable at Rs. 5 plus applicable service tax
Steps to Login to PRAN Card Portal for NPS
You can use the number printed on your PRAN card to log into your NPS account online. The following are the steps for PRAN Card Login-
Step 1. Go to the NPS Login Portal and click on the ‘Login for Existing Subscribers’ option if you already have a PRAN card
Step 2. On the subsequent page, you can use your Permanent Retirement Account Number as printed on the PRAN card and NPS account’s password to log in to your NPS account. In case you have forgotten your login password or want to sign up for online PRAN card services, click on the ‘Generate/Reset Password’ link
How do I Print PRAN Card
- Select ‘Print & Courier’ option in the eSign/Print & Courier page
- Take a print out of the completed form and paste your photograph in the designated space. Do not use staples/pins to affix the photograph
- Sign within the designated blocks provided for signature
- Once PRAN has been allotted, you have to send the completed PRAN card application form with photograph to applicable CRA (Karvy/NSDL) within 90 of PRAN card allotment
You also have the option of printing your ePRAN (Electronic PRAN) card by logging into your NPS account and selecting the ‘Print ePRAN’ option. While ePRAN printing is free of charge, getting the physical PRAN card printed and sent to your registered address is subject to applicable charges plus GST.
How do I Check PRAN Card Status
In case you have opted to receive your PRAN Card in physical form at your registered address, you can easily track the status of your PRAN card online.
On the ‘Track PRAN Card Status’ page, you can check the ‘Dispatch Status’ in case of New PRAN card, Re-issued PRAN and re-issued password/T-PIN.
A Good Credit Score ensures you manage Your Finances Well Check Score
Checking PRAN Card Balance
Since the PRAN is primarily issued as a unique identifier for NPS subscribers, checking of PRAN card balance can be easily completed if you log in to your National Pension System account. Once logged in, you can check the balance in both the compulsory Tier 1 account and optional Tier 2 account offered under the NPS pension scheme.
PRAN Card Customer Care
As the PRAN Card is issued to subscribers of NPS, the NPS customer care system also acts as the PRAN Card Customer Care system. You can get in touch with PRAN card customer care services over the phone, by fax, online by email as well as in person at a nearby representative office. Know more about NPS/PRAN Card Customer Care Service.
Can I have more than one PRAN Card
No. You can only hold one PRAN number/PRAN Card because the existing rules of NPS allow only one NPS subscription (divided into Tier 1 and Tier 2 accounts with the same PRAN) to one individual. Even if you change your job, you don’t have to open a new NPS account, you can continue with your contributions in the existing account. However, you can transfer your NPS account from one location to another with ease as well.
It must be noted that at present, the NPS and NPS Lite/Atal Pension Yojana (APY) systems are not yet integrated. Thus, individuals who have both NPS and APY accounts may end up with multiple PRAN cards which may be merged at a later date.