Read in: HindiUpdated: 23-01-2019 07:54:23 AM
Salaried employees contribute towards Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) to build a corpus for retirement. However, this corpus can also be utilized to meet various requirements during the employment period. A member can apply for partial withdrawal by submitting EPF Form 31 – Application for Advance from the Fund.
|EPF Form No.||Form – 31|
|Purpose||Application for Advances (partial withdrawal) from EPF|
|Mode of Filling||Both Online and Offline|
|Additional Requirements||Relevant documents have to be submitted|
|Reason for Advances||Home loan, medical requirement, wedding, etc.|
EPF Form 31 can be filled online as well as offline. The employee has to diligently fill his details in the form while applying offline, whereas, most details are pre-filled in case the member applies online. However, the member has to register his UAN to avail the online service.
How to Download EPF Form 31
You can download Form 31 from the EPF website and fill it offline. However, you have to get a section filled by your employer as well. Follow the link to download EPF Form 31 https://epfindia.gov.in/site_docs/PDFs/Downloads_PDFs/Form31.pdf.
How to Fill EPF Form 31
When you plan to withdraw funds partially from the EPF account, you have to fill Form 31. All fields in the form have to be filled mandatory else the application may not be processed. EPF Form 31 contains the following fields:
Contents to be filled by the Employee
- Mobile Number
- Purpose for Advances
- Amount of Advances required
- Name of the member
- Father’s Name/Husband’s Name (in case of married women)
- Name and Address of the Employer
- PF Account Number
- Monthly Basic Wages and Dearness Allowance
- Full Postal Address of the applicant
- Signature of the Employee
- Signature of the Employer
- Mode of Remittance
- In whose favour cheque is to be drawn (in case of home loans, EMIs, etc.)
- For any other reason, provide your bank account details
- In case of Advances for marriage, provide complete details such as name, age, date of marriage, address
- Advance Stamp Receipt (Fill the amount)
Also read : EPF Forms: Complete List of Employee PF Forms
Contents to be filled by the Employer
- Certification by the Employer
- Signature, date, and designation (along with the stamp of the establishment)
Contents to be filled by the EPF Commissioner
- Account number
- Fund to reimbursed
- Mode of Remittance
- Signature of the Accounts Officer
Purpose for EPF Withdrawal
Employees can withdraw the amount from PF account as an advance for the following purposes through Form 31:
- Purchase or addition/alteration/improvement/repair of house/flat, construction of house including the acquisition of site:
- Completion of 5 years of service is mandatory
- Withdrawal of 24 months’ pay (Basic + DA) is allowed for the purchase of a plot
- Withdrawal of 36 months’ pay (Basic + DA) for the purchase of house/flat/construction or total cost, whichever is lower
- Withdrawal allowed only once during the service period
- Repayment of Loans in Special Cases
- Minimum service period required is of 10 years
- A member can withdraw the least of 36 months’ pay or a total of employee’s and employer’s share plus interest or total outstanding principal with interest, whichever is less.
- Certification from the lending agency indicating the principal and interest is required
- Grant of Advances in special cases
- In case of lockout/closure of establishment for more than 15 days and the employees are unemployed without compensation or
- Employees have not received pay for more than 2 months continuously for reasons other than strike or
- Discharge/dismissal/retrenchment of member challenged by him/her in Court, (50% of EPF withdrawal is allowed) or
- In case of establishment’s closure for more than 6 months and employees continue to be unemployed without compensation
- Advance for an illness of his/her own treatment or family
- Withdrawal of up to 6 months’ pay or employees share plus interest, whichever is less
- No service limit is required for availing the advances
- Certification by the employer and a doctor is mandatory
- Advance for marriage of self/daughter/son/brother/sister or post matriculation education of son/daughter
- Withdrawal allowed only after 7 years of contribution in PF account
- The member can withdraw a maximum of 50% of the employee’s share plus interest
- Withdrawal allowed for this purpose is three times during the service period
- Advance to physically-handicapped members for purchasing equipment for minimizing hardship
- Lowest of the 6 months’ pay or employees share plus interest or cost of equipment of withdrawal is allowed
- Second withdrawal is allowed after 3 years of first withdrawal
- Withdrawal within one year before retirement
- Withdrawal is allowed after 54 years of age and within 1 year of retirement, whichever is later.
- Maximum 90% of the amount in the EPF account of the member can be withdrawn.
Documents Required Along with EPF Form 31
The following documents have to be produced along with Form 31 depending on the purpose of EPF withdrawal :
|Documents for EPF Withdrawal|
|Purpose of EPF Withdrawal||Document Required|
|Buying a House||Declaration, Registration certificate of the property|
|Repayment of Loans||Outstanding principal and interest certificate by the lending agency|
|Grant of Advances in special cases||Certificate from the Employer|
|Medical Illness||Certificate by the employer and the doctor|
|Marriage||Declaration to be done in Form 31 itself|
|Physically handicapped||Certificate from the concerned doctor|
|Withdrawal before Retirement||Declaration by the Member|
Things to Remember while Filling EPF Form 31
- Attach cancelled cheque with the form for verification in case you want disbursal of the fund in your bank account.
- Money order can be used as the payout option only when the amount is below ₹ 2,000.
- In case of offline application, certification by the employer is necessary.
- Online applications can be filed only if the member has linked his bank account, Aadhaar, and PAN with his UAN.
- The bank account has to be verified by entering the last four digits of the bank account if the claim is filed online.
- It generally takes a couple of weeks to process the claims and remit funds.