As the declining sex ratio over the years caused women disempowerment and discrimination against the girl child, there usurped a need to ensure the protection and empowerment of the female.
Consequently, Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) was launched on 22nd January 2015 by the Prime Minister of India at Panipat in Haryana. BBBP as a combination of three ministries- Women and Child Development, Health & Family Welfare and Human Resource Development.
Objectives of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP)
Basically, Beti Bachao Beti Padhao was unleashed with an objective of addressing the declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR) and other issues related to the women empowerment:
- To help remove gender based discrimination and elimination
- To protect and girl child
- To provide the girl child with education and enabling her participation
Also Read – Top 10 Government Girl Child Schemes in India
Different Strategies undertaken by BBBP
- Focusing largely on the Districts which are Gender Critical to ensure intensive actions are taken accordingly
- Prioritizing cities with low Child Sex Ratio for integrated action
- Forwarding and discussing the issue of declining Child Sex Ratio in public discourse, conferences, debates with an aim of rapid awareness and improvement
- Implementing innovative and intriguing techniques for the flourishment of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao as per the local requirement and sensibility
- Motivating communities to participate and work towards their own development subjecting to the birth and growth of a girl child
- Initiating communication campaigns to promote the development and education of the girl child
- Challenging the existing gender stereotypes and evil social norms against the girl child
- Training the local governing bodies and groups to work as catalysts for social change and improvement
The Scope and Dissemination of the Initiative
A. Beti Bachao Beti Padhao, as a national initiative, is being implemented through a focussed action in 100 selected districts which are low in CSR. These 100 districts have been selected according to the Census 2011 covering all the states and UTIs. There are:
- 87 districts/23 states which are below national average
- 8 districts/8 states which are above average but have shown declining trend
- 5 districts/5 states which are above average and have shown increasing trends
B. In order to flourish the programme beyond the 100 selected districts, 61 additional districts have been selected from 11 states and UTIs having Child Sex Ratio below 918.
C. On 8th March 2018, the PAN India Expansion of BBBP was launched which covered all the 640 districts according to the Census 2011.
Target Audience of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao
It is certain that Beti Bachao Beti Padhao is an initiative which targets the entire country. However, to simplify the reach, three classifications have been made regarding the target audience for BBBP:
- Primary Groups: Including young and married couples, pregnant mothers and parents
- Secondary Groups: Including the youth of the country, doctors, in-laws, private hospitals, nursing homes, diagnostic centres
- Tertiary Groups: Including general people of the country, frontline workers, officials, religious leaders, voluntary organisations, media and women SHGs
Eligibility for the Scheme
In order to be eligible for the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme, following conditions are to be fulfilled:
- A family with a girl child below the age of 10 years
- There should be a Sukanya Samriddhi Account (SSA) in any bank, opened in the name of the girl child
- The Girl child should be an Indian. NRIs are not eligible for this scheme
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao- Regional Campaigns & Initiatives
Under the scheme, several states have operationalised multi-sectoral District Action Plans such as Capacity-building programmes and training sessions. These training sessions equip the district level officials and frontline workers for further action.
Some of the local initiative taken in support of the BBBP are as follows:
In the region of Pithoragarh district–
- Broadly, two task forces have been created in the name of District Force and Block Force. These forces, together, are working significantly and organising clear road maps for development in terms of Child Sex Ratio
- Awareness generating activities and plans have been carried out for wider reach
- Signature Campaigns, Street Plays, Oath Ceremony are some of the modes taken by the groups to make as many people aware about Beti Bachao Beti Padhao as possible
In the region of Mansa, Punjab-
- Several initiatives have been spread out in the region to encourage girls and inspire to pursue their education
- A sub-scheme in the name of ‘Udaan-Sapneya Di Duniya De Rubaru’ is introduced for girls from Class VI to XII under which they get the opportunity to spend one day with professionals such as Doctors, Engineers, IAS and more.
National Media Campaign-
- To celebrate the birth of Girl Child and enable progressive reforms for education, a nation-wide campaign was launched
- The campaign aimed at ensuring the birth of girl child, availability of proper education and health related reforms
- Ensuring the presence of an equal platform without gender discrimination to become empowered citizens of the country
- 360 degree media approach to create awareness about the issues across the nation
BBBP- Documents Required
Here is a list of documents required to apply for Beti Bachao Beti Padhao:
- Birth Certificate issued by the hospital or a recognized government body
- Proof of Identity of the Parents- Aadhaar Card, Ration Card, etc.
- Proof of Address- Passport, Driving license, Utility bills like water, telephone, electricity etc
- Passport size photograph
How to Apply for the scheme?
Follow the given steps to get enrolled under the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao benefits:
- Visit the bank or post office wherever the scheme is available
- Obtain and Fill the application form for BBBP/SSA
- The form is to be filled manually and attached with all the required documents
- Submit the documents to the same bank/post office. The account must be opened in the name of the girl child
Note: This account can be easily transferred from one bank/post office account to another bank/post office account
Different Schemes introduced under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao
Apart from the various campaigns, awareness programmes and creation of improvised reforms, there are several schemes under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao each of which focuses on the upliftment, empowerment and welfare of women & girl child.
Here is a list of few popular schemes under BBBP:
- Sukanya Samridhi Yojana
- Balika Samridhi Yojana
- Ladli Laxmi Yojana
- Ladli scheme
- Kanyashree Prakalpa Yojana
- Dhanalakshmi scheme and many more
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao- For the society
This scheme is not just benefiting for the girl children but also for the entire society. The Government has spent more than Rs.150 crore to extend the security reforms under BBBP. In the present day world, the entire society is undergoing a severe need to change the approach towards women and the girl child. Following the same ideals, various pilot schemes are also introduced to maintain healthy sex ratio, availability on equal facilities to all the sectors.