As a result of systematic gender discrimination in India, up to 50 million females are missing from the country’s population, as stated in a recent report by the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). As a concern to avoid demographic crisis in the country, and raise the status of females in rural families and society, in general, the government of Karnataka launched the Karnataka Bhagyashree Scheme.
What is the Karnataka Bhagyashree Scheme?
With the idea of raising the status of girl children and promoting their birth in the country, the Karnataka government has come up with the Karnataka Bhagyashree Scheme. The scheme provides financial assistance to the girl child in families that lie below the poverty line through her mother or father who is subject to the fulfillment of certain conditions.
Facilities offered under the scheme
The government of Karnataka offers the following benefits to the eligible candidates of this scheme-
- The girl child gets a health insurance cover of upto Rs. 25,000 per month
- The child gets an annual scholarship of Rs. 300 to Rs. 1,000, depending upon her age upto 10th standard
- The parents get Rs. 1 lakh in case of accident and Rs. 42,500 in case of natural death of the girl child.
- On completing 18 years of age, the parents of the girl child would be paid Rs. 34,751.
Along with this, there are certain interim payments such as annual scholarships and insurance benefits that the beneficiary can avail upon continued fulfillment of the eligibility criteria. The grant of such facilities, promotes the birth of girl child in economically weaker families and raises their status within the society.
The scheme had been launched by the Karnataka government with the objective of promoting the birth of girl child among the families that have been identified as BPL or Below Poverty Line. Karnataka Bhagyashree Scheme intends to raise the status of girl child in the family and the society, in general, along with providing financial assistance to the girl child by offering it to her mother/father.
Eligibility of Karnataka Bhagyashree Scheme
The Karnataka Bhagyashree Scheme has the following eligibility conditions-
- Only the girl children born to families below the poverty line after March 31, 2006 can avail the benefits of this scheme
- The birth enrolment of the girl child should be done within one year of the birth of the child on the submission of the birth certificate
- The scheme is applicable to only two children of the BPL family
- The girl child availing the scheme should not be a child labourer
- The girl child should be immunized as per the health department programme
- The beneficiary should have completed 8th standard and should not have been married before the age of 18
Following documents are required to avail the benefits of Karnataka Bhagyashree Scheme-
- Application form of the Bhagyashree Scheme
- Birth document of the girl child
- Income details of the parents
- Address proof of the parents of the girl child
- BPL card
- Bank details of the girl child card
How to Apply?
The eligible candidates can apply for the scheme via both the online and the offline modes. The online application form can be downloaded from the official website. However, to apply offline, the candidates may contact either of these-
- Aanganwadi Center
- Grampanchayat Office
- Authorized Banks
- Municipal Corporations
The father/mother or the natural guardian of the girl child may also contact the Deputy Director of Women and Child Development of the respective districts or the Child Development Project Officer (CDPO).