The government has made it mandatory for employees to link their EPF account with Aadhaar and other documents. EPFO has made provisions for people to update their KYC details quite easily through the online portal. Updating your KYC details also helps in getting a range of benefits like easy operation of accounts, low TDS on withdrawals, etc.
Process to update KYC Details
It is very simple to update your KYC details in the EPF account. Users have to follow these quick steps to update their details at the EPF portal:
- Login to your EPF account using your UAN and password at
- Under the ‘Manage’ section, click on the ‘KYC’ option from the drop down list
- The form for updating the KYC details will open. You need to fill the required information such as PAN, Aadhaar, Passport, Driving License, Ration card, Election card, and bank details
- Tick on the box in front of the document that you want to update. Enter the document number, your name as per the document and additional details such as IFSC in case of bank details and expiry date in case of passport and driving license.
- Click on the ‘Save’ button. This will save your data under the ‘Pending KYC’ section
- In case you don’t want your details to be updated, you can cancel the KYC process by clicking on the ‘X’ sign marked against the document before it is verified by the EPFO
- Your details are then verified by the EPFO from the data of the concerned department
- Once the details match, the document is marked as verified
Updating Contact Details in Your EPF Account
You can also update your contact details in your EPF account online. Here is how you can do so-
- Login to your EPF account using your UAN and password
- In the ‘Manage’ section, click on the Contact Details option in the drop down menu
- Your mobile number and email address would already be fed in your EPF account (Note that you had submitted these details at the time of activation of your account)
- Tick on the box against the ‘Change mobile number’ option or ‘Change email id’ option to update your details and click on the ‘Get Authorization Pin’ button
- Once you enter the authorization pin sent to you through an OTP on your mobile number, your mobile phone/e-mail will be updated in your EPF account.
- It may take some time to update your contact details in your EPF account.
Benefits of Updating KYC Details
Once your KYC details are updated in your EPF account, you can avail a range of benefits. Some of those are mentioned below:
- Online withdrawal claims can be processed only when KYC details are seeded with the UAN
- EPF accounts can be transferred smoothly if the KYC details are updated
- Members get a monthly SMS intimating the monthly PF after activation
- In case, the member withdraws his/her PF before 5 years of service, a TDS of 10% will be levied against the amount if PAN is updated in the EPF account
- However, if PAN is not updated, TDS charge will increase to 34.608%
Ques: Is it important to update the KYC details?
Ans: No, it is not mandatory for you to update your KYC details. However, if your details are updated in your EPF account, you will be able to benefit from a number of features such as regular updates on SMS, ease in claiming your balance, etc.
Ques: Can I upload my documents online?
Ans: Yes, you can directly upload your KYC documents online on the EPFO portal. Visit the ‘Profile section’ on the portal, and the ‘Update KYC Information’.
Ques: I have uploaded my documents online but the status is still the same. What should I do?
Ans: Kindly note that it takes around 48-72 hours for the status of your KYC details to change. Once you upload your documents, your employer will first verify them and then authorize your KYC.
Ques: Which documents can I submit for KYC approval?
Ans: The following documents are considered valid for your KYC-
- Aadhaar Card
- Permanent Account Number
- Bank Account Number
- Driving License
- Voter ID
- Ration Card
Ques: What should I do if my employer does not approve my KYC?
Ans: Generally, it is the job of your employer to approve your request for KYC. However, if he/she fails to do so, you must contact the administration or the HR department. If nothing helps even then, you may contact the EPF Grievance portal.