UIDAI has made it simpler for people to get their Aadhar card updated or corrected both online and offline. Here are mentioned brief processes of Aadhar card update or correction through which people can easily get their e Aadhaar card details updated and corrected. Follow the given steps below to update Aadhar card address, name, date of birth, mobile number and email id on the Aadhaar card online and offline by visiting the Aadhaar Enrolment/Update Centre.
Save more on Fuel with SBI BPCL Credit Card; Apply Now and Get Your Card in Just 7 Days*
Steps to Update Aadhaar Card by Visiting Enrolment Centre
You can get details of their Aadhar updated by visiting the Aadhaar Seva Kendra. Here is how you can do it easily:
- Fill the Aadhaar correction form i.e. https://uidai.gov.in/images/aadhaar_enrolment_correction_form_version_2.1.pdf
- Make sure you enter that information which is correct and not the one that is mentioned in your Aadhaar.
- Get self-attested copies of proofs validating your update request.
- Submit the form along with documents.
- You need to pay a charge of Rs. 25 for every such visit to the Enrolment Centre for update or correction.
- You can get all your details including your biometric data, image, mobile number, etc. updated at the enrolment centre.
- Aadhaar Card mobile number change or update can also be done at the enrolment centre.
- Moreover, you can also visit various banks to update your Aadhaar card. For example, Axis Bank Aadhaar update allows you to make changes in your Aadhaar Card by visiting the nearest Axis bank branch.
Note: Whether you update one field or many, charges for the Aadhaar Update will be Rs. 100 (if you are also updating biometrics) and Rs. 50 (if only demographics details are being updated).
How to Update Aadhar Card Details Online
Usually a person can change address, his/her name, date of birth, gender, mobile number and email id on the Aadaar card. In order to change the details of your Aadhaar card online, follow these steps to update/change/correction
Step 1. Visit the Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal and click on “Update your Address Online”
Step 2. If you have valid address proof, click on “Proceed to Update Address”
Step 3. In the new window, enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and click on “Send OTP” or “Enter a TOTP”
Step 4. An OTP will be sent to the mobile number registered in UIDAI’s database.
Step 5. Enter this OTP to login to your Aadhaar account. Alternately, you can use the TOTP feature to authenticate Step 6. Select either the “Update Address by Address Proof” option or the “Update Address vis Secret Code” option
Step 7. Enter your residential address mentioned in the Proof of Address (PoA) and click on the “Preview” button
Step 8. In case you want to modify your address, click the “Modify” option else tick the declaration and click on the “Submit” button
Step 9. Select the document type you want to submit as PoA for verification and upload the scanned copy of the address proof and click on the “Submit” button
Step 10. Your Aadhaar update request will be accepted and a 14-digit URN will be generated
You can use the Update Request Number (URN) to check the status of the Aadhaar address update. Once updated, you can download the updated version and get your Aadhar card print out.
Get Free Credit Report with Complete Analysis of Credit Score Check Now
How to Update Address in Aadhaar without Document Proof
In case an you do not have a valid document proof, you can update your current residential address in your Aadhaar Card with the help of consent and authentication of the address verifier ( which can be your family member, friend, landlord, etc.) who allows you to use his/her address as a proof.
To update your address in Aadhaar without document you can request for ‘Address Validation Letter’. Before proceeding for requesting the Address Validation Letter, you must keep in mind the following things:
- Your address will be validated by sending your validation letter which will contain a secret code on the address verifier’s address.
- It is mandatory for both the resident and the address verifier to update their mobile numbers with their Aadhaar.
- Due to any reason, if the address verifier fails to give consent within the set deadline, the request will be considered invalid and will have to initiate the procedure of request once again.
Step 1 : Visit Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal i.e https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/
Step 2: Click on Update Aadhaar and select ‘Request for Address Validation Letter’.
Step 3: Now enter your Aadhaar number and Captcha Verification code from the given box.
Step 4: Now, click on ‘Send OTP or Enter TOTP’ which will be sent to the registered mobile number.
Step 6: However, the process details for updating the address via Validation Letter are as follows:
What Details can be Changed in the Aadhar Card Online?
As per the latest developments, you can only get your address changed in your Aadhaar card Using the online SSUP portal https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/login.html. In case, you want to update the following details, you have to visit an Aadhaar Enrolment Centre:
- Name of the applicant
- Date of Birth
- Mobile number
- Email ID
Your Credit Score and Report is Now Absolutely Free Get Report
How to Update Address in Aadhaar Card
An applicant can change address, name, date of birth, gender, mobile number and e-mail ID on Aadhaar Card. To update/change/correct your address on Aadhaar Card, you must follow the below steps:
- Step 1: Visit Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal i.e https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/
- Step 2: If you have a valid address proof, click on ‘Proceed to Update Address’.Visit the Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal on UIDAI’s website.
- Step 3: In case, you don’t have a valid address proof click on “Request for Address Validation Letter”
- Step 4: In the new window (https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssupAddressPin/pinGenerate.html), enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number or 16-digit number Virtual ID.
- Step 5: Enter the Captcha Verification code from the given box.
- Step 6: Now, click on ‘Send OTP’, which will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Step 7: Alternately, you can use the TOTP feature to authenticate
- Step 8: Click on ‘Login’ Button.
- Step 9: Now, click on ‘Update Address via Address Proof’ or ‘Update Address Via Secret Code’.
- Step 10: Now, fill in all the details that need to be corrected and write the complete address while correcting it.
- Any Pin Code and related data (State/District/Village/Town/City/Post office) issues, you can contact UIDAI contact centre at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you want to include the name of Guardian/ Parent/Spouse as part of the address, select the Address correction option. Then select the appropriate box in C/o details and enter the name of the person in the subsequent field. C/o details can be updated as a part of Address update.
- Fill the complete address and upload all supporting PoA even if you want to update/correct only C/o details.
- Step 11: Now, upload your original colored scanned copies of POA documents.
- Step 12: Preview the entered data both in English and local language as well.
- Step 13: Now submit the request. You must note your Update Request Number (URN) for tracking the status of your Aadhaar Update.
Note: You can also download /Print your Acknowledgement copy.
How to Update/Change Name in Aadhaar
If you want to change or update your name in Aadhaar, you must follow below mentioned steps:
Step 1: Visit the Aadhaar Enrolment/Update Centre.
Step 2: Fill the Aadhaar Update Form
Step 3: Enter your current mobile number in the form
Step 6: Your request will be registered by the executive at the Aadhaar Enrolment/Update centre.
Step 7: Now, you will receive an acknowledgement slip containing the URN.
Step 8: You will have to pay a fee of Rs. 50 for availing this service.
How to Update/Change Your Mobile Number in Aadhaar
There are instances where people are no longer using the mobile number that was registered with UIDAI. Aadhar Card mobile number change or updation can be done by following the below-mentioned steps:
Step 1: Visit the Aadhaar Enrolment/Update Centre
Step 2: Fill the Aadhaar Update Form
Step 3: Enter only your current mobile number in the form
Step 4: You need not mention your previous mobile number
Step 5: You do not have to provide any proof for updating your mobile number
Step 6: The executive will register your request
Step 7: You will be handed over the acknowledgement slip containing the URN
Step 8: A fee of Rs. 50 has to be paid for availing this service
How to Change the DoB in Aadhaar Card
In order to update your date of birth mentioned in your Aadhaar, you have to follow these steps:
Step 1: Visit a nearby Aadhaar Enrolment Centre
Step 2: Fill the Aadhaar update form mentioning your date of birth
Step 4: Submit the proof of date of birth along with the form
Step 5: You need to give your biometrics to authenticate your identity
Step 6: You will now receive an acknowledgement slip containing URN
Step 7: The URN can be used to check the Aadhar update status online
Step 8: You have to pay a fee of Rs.50 to the executive
Step 9: Your DoB will be updated in Aadhaar within 90 days
How to Update Aadhar Card Details through Post
You can get your Aadhar details updated offline as well by sending the request through post to UIDAI. Steps involved in this process are:
- Download online the “Aadhaar Data Update/Correction Form”
- Fill the required details to be changed in your Aadhaar card.
- Get the photocopies of the documents that validate the changes requested to be made in the form.
- Send the form along with self-attested documents to the postal address as mentioned below:
Address 1: UIDAI
Post Box No. 10,
Madhya Pradesh – 480001,
Address 2: UIDAI
Post Box No. 99,
Hyderabad – 500034,
Documents Required for Aadhar Card Update/Correction
The documents that are required for updating/correcting Aadhar card are:
Supported Proof of Identity (PoI) Documents Containing Name and Photo for the Correction in Name
- PAN card.
- Either Ration or PDS Photo card.
- Voter Identification card.
- Driving licence of the applicant.
- Photo identification cards issued by the Government of India.
- Service photo ID cards that is issued by the PSU.
- Job card of NREGS.
- Photo identification that is issued by some Recognised Educational Institution.
- Licence of Arms.
- Photo Bank ATM card.
- Photo Credit card.
- Photo card of the Pensioner.
- Photo card of the Freedom Fighter.
- Photo Passbook of Kisan.
- Photo card of CGHS.
- Certificate of Marriage.
- Document containing proof of marriage of the applicant issued originally by the marriage Registrar.
- Legally approved name change certificate
- ECHS Photo card.
- Residing Address card of the applicant that contains both the name and photo that was originally issued by the Department of Posts.
- Identity Certificate containing the photo of the applicant on a proper letterhead and is issued by either the Gazetted Officer or the Tehsildar.
- Handicapped medical certificate or a disability Identification card.
Supported proof of address (POA) Documents Required for Aadhar Updating or Correction
- Statement of bank in which the applicant holds an account.
- Passbook of bank where the applicant is an account-holder.
- Account statement or passbook of the Post Office.
- Ration Card.
- Voter Identification card.
- Driving licence of the applicant.
- Photo identification cards issued by the Government.
- PSU issued Service photo ID card.
- Previous 3 months’ electricity bill.
- Water bill as long as it is not more than 3 months’ old.
- Previous three months’ landline bill related to telephone.
- Receipt showing the Property Tax of the last 3 months.
- Last three months’ Credit Card statement.
- Insurance policy.
- Photo and a letter signed by bank on letterhead.
- Signed letter and photo on the letterhead of the company issued by the registered office.
- Photo and signed letter issued by a well-known educational enterprise on their letterhead.
- Job card of NREGS.
- Arms licence.
- Pensioner card.
- Freedom fighter card.
- Kisan passbook.
- CGHS card.
- ECHS card.
- Address certificate along with a photo on their letterhead that is issued either by an MP, MLA, Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar.
- Address Certificate issued by the Village Panchayat head or any authority equivalent to them for rural areas.
- Assessment order of the Income Tax.
- Registration certificate of vehicle.
- Registered agreement for sale, lease or rent of the applicant’s residential address.
- Photo and address card by the Department of Posts.
- Caste and Domicile certificate along with a photo that the State Government has issued.
- Previous 3 month’s bill of gas connection. Either a handicapped medical certificate or a disability Identification card that is issued by either a State Government, UT Government or any Administrations
- Spouse’s or partner’s passport.
- For minors, parents’ passport is required.
Supported Proof of Date of Birth (DOB) documents for updating or correction
- Certificate of birth.
- Certificate or SSLC Book.
- Passport of the applicant.
- Date of birth Certificate on their letterhead issued by either the Tehsildar or the Gazetted Officer.
These are the documents which are accepted as a proof for correcting/updating Aadhar card details and the cardholder should make sure that the documents which he/she is attaching to the correction form should validate the changes made by him/her.
Important things to be kept in mind while Updating Aadhar Card Details
- The changes that you enter must be correct and appropriate documents which an individual is attaching with the form must be approved and self-attested.
- Your required details must be filled in English or in the local language.
- While correcting the Aadhar card details, it must be made sure that the URN is kept safe as it helps to track the status of Aadhar Card.
- In case, your mobile number is not registered, then you must visit the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment to make corrections in your Aadhaar card.
- Make sure that all the details entered in the correction form are filled in capital letters.
- All the necessary information must be filled and no option should be kept unattended.
- Only those documents that are required as proof should be sent along with the form.
- The corrected Aadhar card will be sent to the address mentioned in the Aadhaar card.
- The photocopy of the documents sent must be self-attested.
Why does the request for Aadhar Card updation/correction get rejected?
The request for Aadhaar Card updation/correction gets rejected sometimes, as UIDAI follows specific provisions to verify the details before making any changes in the Aadhar details. Only when these criteria are fulfilled, UIDAI updates the details on its system. The following conditions should be fulfilled before corrections are made in the Aadhaar details:
- Adequate documents should be sent along with the form for verification. In absence of such documents, updating or correcting requests would not be processed.
- All documents sent to UIDAI should be self-attested.
- If the details mentioned in the form do not match with the document attached for verification, details of Aadhar will not be updated.
- Aadhar card updation may also be rejected, if you do not submit adequate documents along with the form.
In case the updation request of details in the Aadhaar card is rejected due to some reason, you can send a new request by making appropriate corrections in the form and submitting appropriate self-attested documents.
Get a Low Annual Fee Credit Card in Just 7 Days*
FAQs on Updating Aadhaar Card
Q. Can I update my Aadhar card details online?
A. As per the latest developments, people can update only their address in Aadhaar card online. However, they can update all other details by visiting the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre.
Q. What are the details which can be updated online?
A. After the recent modification, Aadhaar cardholders can update only their Address online. For updating all other details, they have to visit Aadhaar Enrolment Centre.
Q. What Fields can I update through Self Service Update Portal (SSUP)?
A. People can update all details mentioned in their Aadhar card by visiting one of the Aadhaar Enrolment Centres. You can update Demographic details (Name, Address, DoB, Gender, Mobile Number, Email) as well as Biometrics (Finger Prints, Iris & Photograph) in Aadhaar.
Q. Are there any criteria to be met in order to request for changes online?
A. In order to change your address online, you have to submit the scanned copy of the proof of address. In case your document is not accepted by UIDAI, the update request will be rejected.
Q. Can one use Aadhaar card as a proof for Home Loan, credit card and personal loan application?
A. Yes, Aadhaar card acts as a valid identity and residential proof. So, one can use it for Home loan, credit card and personal loan applications.
Q. Should I submit my update request in a local language as well?
A. You can submit the update request in any language you feel comfortable with. The language is not an issue while updating the details in Aadhar.
Q. What happens if my mobile number is not registered with Aadhaar authorities?
A. In case your mobile is not registered with UIDAI, you will not be able to avail any of the online facilities related to Aadhaar. You can get your mobile number linked with Aadhaar by visiting the Aadhaar Enrolment Centre.
Q. My mobile number is not registered with my Aadhaar card. So, how can I correct my Aadhar card details online?
A.You can select the option of verification using OTP through an unregistered mobile number. However, this facility is available online if you have not registered your mobile number with Aadhaar already.
Q. How do I register my mobile number in order to make changes online?
A. In order to register your mobile number with UIDAI, visit a nearby Aadhaar Enrolment Centre and submit the Aadhaar Enrolment/Correction form mentioning your mobile number in the form. You do not have to provide any proof for registering your mobile number with Aadhaar.
Q. Do I have to provide any documents in order to update/change my mobile details?
A. You do not have to provide any documents to update/change your mobile number. Just fill the Aadhar Enrolment/Correction Form and submit it along with the updation charge of Rs 25.
Q. Is it possible to request for a change in information through offline modes?
A. Only residential address can be updated online as well as offline through post. However, you can update all your biometric and demographic details by visiting a nearby Aadhaar Enrolment Centre.
Q. Where should I send the post/letter?
A. The Aadhar Enrolment/Update Form is to be sent to the following address along with necessary documents:
Post Box Number 10,
Madhya Pradesh – 480001
UIDAI, Post Box No. 99, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad-500034, India.
Q. Can I update information pertaining to my child/ward?
A. One of the parents has to mention their Aadhaar details for the child. In case changes are done in their cards, they have to get it updated in their child’s Aadhar as well.
Q. My child’s address needs to be updated in his/her Aadhaar card. Can it be done?
A. You can get your Aadhar updated with the new address and furnish your Aadhaar card as the proof of address for updating address in your child’s Aadhaar.
Q. I do not have a proof of address with me. Is it still possible to request for a change in the address in my child’s Aadhaar?
A. You can get the address updated in your child’s Aadhaar by furnishing your Aadhaar card as the proof of address. You do not have to provide an additional proof of address for your child.
Q. Do I have to provide my old information while requesting for change/correction/modification of information?
A. You do not have to provide any of the previous data. You have to mention only the new data that has to be updated in your Aadhaar. Also, provide a proof for the suggested update.
Q. Do I have to mention the salutation if I am requesting for a correction in my name via post?
A. No salutation is needed while applying for making corrections in your Aadhaar. You have to only mention your correct name to update your name in Aadhar card.
Q. Can I change/modify the information after I submit the request for correction online?
A. No, the request once submitted online cannot be modified. Please make sure you enter correct information in the form before finally submitting it.
Q. Will I be provided with an updated Aadhaar letter once the details are corrected?
A. You can download the updated e-Aadhaar from UIDAI’s website. Also, you can refresh your Aadhaar details in the mAadhaar app once the data in your Aadhar is updated.
Q. I have changed my email ID and need to update the same in my Aadhaar. How do I do this?
A. You have to visit one of the Aadhaar Enrolment Centres and fill the Aadhaar Enrolment/Correction Form mentioning the new email id. A fee of Rs 25 is charged from the applicant for updating the Aadhaar details.
Q. Can my request application be rejected?
A. Yes, the update request of a person can be rejected on grounds that the documents validating the change are not submitted or are not accepted by UIDAI.
Q. Can we change the name & date of birth in an Aadhaar card online?
A. No, you cannot change your name and date of birth in an Aadhaar Card online. You need to visit Aadhaar Enrolment Centre to update the same.
Q. Is it mandatory to provide C/o Details in Address?
A. To provide C/o details in address is not mandatory. It is only required for letter details purposes which is a part of address.
Q. Explain why my Update request was rejected?
A. There are various reasons due to which your update request can not be processed or rejected. They are:
- If you upload a wrong PoA/PoI document uploaded –
- If self-attested PoA/PoI document is not submitted
- Due to transliteration error
- When a resident fails to self-attest supporting documents
- If documents uploaded by you via online SSUP portal are not found to be scanned copies of original documents
- Wrong format of mobile and Aadhaar is shared
- In case, you do not submit supporting documents in your name
Q. Is a certificate from a local MP/MLA/local body official accepted as a proof document?
A. In case a local MP/MLA/Local body official issues a certificate of Address along with a photo on the letter, it is accepted as a POA.
Q. What happens if my Aadhaar is suspended?
A. Those people who are not able to provide correct details at the time of enrolment, have a chance of getting their Aadhaar suspended. Also, if a person has an Aadhaar but he applies again, his Aadhaar card will not be generated. This may happen even at the later stages of verification (after enrolment).
Q. Do I have to provide c/o information in the address?
A. It is not necessary to provide C/O information in the address. You can also mention S/O, W/O or D/O in your address. However, if a person mentions it in his address, his address will be updated as it is written in the form.
Q. How much time does it take to update address in the Aadhar card?
A. Your address is updated in your Aadhaar and the new Aadhaar card is sent to you within 90 days of application. However, you can check the status online and once it is updated, you can download your e-Aadhaar online.