The government has been urging people to link Aadhaar Card with all their major documents like PAN, bank accounts, etc. A recent addition to this is the linking of Aadhaar with Ration Card. Since ration card has been the oldest proof of residence in the country, it is important to connect it with Aadhaar so that the benefits received by the holder can be streamlined and the cases of fraud can be prevented. Follow the steps given below how to link Aadhaar with Ration Card online & offline:
How to Link Aadhaar with Ration Card?
Your ration card can be linked with Aadhaar by visiting the nearest PDS shop or ration shop. Follow the steps given below to link Aadhaar and Ration Card offline –
Step 1: Visit the nearest PDS centre or Ration Shop.
Step 2: Carry photocopies of your Ration Card along with the copies of Aadhaar Cards of all your family members. Also carry a passport size photograph of the head of the family.
Step 3: In case your bank account is not linked with Aadhaar, you should also submit a copy of your bank passbook.
Step 4: Submit all these documents at the PDS shop along with a copy of your Aadhaar.
Step 5: The representative available at the Ration shop might ask you to put your finger on the biometric machine for first-time Aadhar authentication.
Once the documents are submitted, an SMS notification will be sent to your registered mobile number. You will receive another SMS notification when the two documents are successfully linked.
Also Read : How To Link Aadhaar with Bank Account
About Ration Card
Ration Card is an important official document that entitles its user to avail food grains and fuel offered by the government at subsidized rate. The card was launched about five decades ago and it has still not lost its prominence in India. Apart from offering necessary food grains at lower rate, it allows the poor to have a proof of identity in the country and establish a connection to the government database. It is of three types- Antyodaya, BPL (Below Poverty Line) and APL (Above Poverty Line). Eligibility depends on the economic status of the family.
Documents Required for Linking Ration Card with Aadhaar
Given below is the list of documents needed for linking the two documents –
- Photocopy of your Ration Card along with original card for on-site verification.
- Copies of Aadhaar of all family members.
- Photocopy of Aadhaar of the head of the family.
- Passport size photograph of the head of the family.
- Copy of bank passbook, in case bank account is not linked with Aadhaar.
Benefits of Linking Aadhaar with Ration Card
The linking of Aadhaar and Ration Card can be beneficial in the following ways –
- It will reduce the number of fake Ration Card holders who are enjoying subsidies which are otherwise meant for the below poverty line (BPL) families.
- Once Aadhaar is linked with Ration Card, families will not be able to possess more than one ration card on the basis of fake details.
- Fraudulent activities can be prevented after Aadhaar is linked with Ration Card.
- The biometric enabled distribution system would help PDS shops identify the genuine beneficiaries and streamline the benefits accordingly.
- Diversion and leakage of PDS ration can also be controlled.
- Aadhaar creates an audit trail in the Public Distribution System, thus identifying and eliminating corrupt middlemen and adding efficiency in the framework.