UIDAI is a statutory authority established under the provisions of the Aadhaar Act 2016. UIDAI is headquartered in New Delhi and has 8 regional offices in India. It was created to issue UIDs (Unique Identification numbers) or Aadhaar to all residents of India. The full form of UIDAI is Unique Identification Authority of India and it is responsible for Aadhaar enrolment, authentication, operation and management of all stages of the Aadhaar card life cycle.
Get FREE Credit Report from Multiple Credit Bureaus Check Now
Objectives of UIDAI
UIDAI issues a 12-digit unique identification number (UID) to the residents of India with the following objectives:
- To provide a unique identity to all the citizens and eliminate fake and duplicate identities
- To verify and authenticate identity in an easy and cost-effective manner
Vision and Mission
|Vision||The key vision of UIDAI is to “empower residents of India with a unique identity and a digital platform to authenticate anytime, anywhere”|
|Mission||The UIDAI was established with a mission to:
● Provide good governance, transparent, efficient and targeted delivery of benefits, subsidies and services. The expenditure for the same is incurred from the Consolidated Fund of India/the Consolidated Fund of State to residents of India by assigning unique identity numbers.
● Develop policy, procedure and system for issuing Aadhaar number to Indian residents, who request for same by submitting their demographic and biometric information and undergo the process of enrolment.
● Develop policy, procedure and systems for Aadhaar card holders for updating and authenticating their digital identity.
● Ensure that the technological infrastructure is available, scalable and resilient
● Carry forward the vision and values of UIDAI by building a long-term sustainable organization
● Ensure confidentiality and security of identity information and authentication records of individuals
● Ensure all individuals and agencies comply by the Aadhaar Act in letter and spirit
● Ensure that rules and regulations are consistent with the Aadhaar Act, for carrying out the provisions of the act
Functions of UIDAI
As notified, UIDAI plans and implements various Unique Identification (UID) schemes and policies. Some of these are mentioned below:
- Generate and assign UID to the people
- Define mechanisms and processes for interlinking UID with the databases of partners continuously
- Frame the policies and administrative procedures relating to updation mechanism and maintenance of UID database on an ongoing basis
- Coordinate with the implementation partners and user agencies as also define conflict resolution mechanism
- Define the use and applicability of UID for delivery of different services
- Operate and manage all the different stages of UID lifecycle
- Embrace a phased approach for implementation of UID particularly in reference to approved timelines
- Ensure collation of NPR with UID (as per approved strategy) by taking the necessary steps
- Ensure means to leverage field level institutions appropriately like PRls in establishing linkages across partner agencies as well as its validation by cross linking with other designated agencies
- Develop strategy for awareness and communication of UID and its usage
- ldentify new user agencies/partner
- lssue instructions to agencies involved in the creation of databases, to ensure standardization of data elements that are collected and digitized and allow collation and correlation with UID and its partner databases
- Frame administrative procedures and policies related to hiring/retention/mobilization of resources, outsourcing of different tasks and budgeting and planning for UIDAI and all State units under UlDAl
Services Offered by UIDAI
Given below are some of the key services offered by UIDAI:
Read more about UIDAI Aadhaar Card
Get Credit Score from Multiple Credit Bureaus for FREE Check Now
UIDAI Organisational Structure
UIDAI has its headquarters in New Delhi and 8 Regional Offices (ROs) across the country. It also has 2 data centres, one in Hebbal (Bengaluru) and another in Manesar (Gurugram).
Composition of the Authority
Members of the UIDAI include:
- The authority consists of a Chairperson, 2 part-time Members and a Chief Executive Officer who is also the Member-Secretary of the Authority.
- Sh Rupinder Singh (1996, Maharashtra cadre), the CEO, is the legal representative and administrative head of the Authority
- The headquarters (HQ) has a total sanctioned strength of 134 officers and staff members, including the IT and Accounts branches. Here, the CEO is assisted by 8 Deputy Directors General (DDGs), Joint Secretary Level Officers of the Government of India, as in-charge of various wings of UIDAI. The DDGs are supported by Directors, Assistant Directors General (ADGs), Deputy Directors, Section Officers, Assistant Section Officers/ATO, Accountant, Jr. Translator, Hindi Typist and Driver.
UIDAI Regional Offices
All UIDAI Regional Offices (ROs) are headed by a Deputy Director General (DDG). The support structure consists of Directors/ Assistant Directors General, Deputy Directors/ Sr. AO/ AD, Section Officers/ AAO/ TO/ PS, Assistant Section Officers / ATO and Accountant.
Listed below are the UIDAI Regional Offices along with the states and union territories that they cover under their jurisdiction:
|Regional Office||States and Union Territories Covered|
|Delhi||Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Rajasthan|
|Mumbai||Maharashtra, Gujarat, Goa, Daman & Diu, Dadar & Nagar Haveli|
|Chandigarh||UT of Chandigarh, Punjab, Jammu & Kashmir, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Ladakh|
|Bengaluru||Kerala, Tamil Naidu, Puducherry, Karnataka and Lakshadweep|
|Hyderabad||Andaman and Nicobar, Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh|
|Guwahati||Tripura, Mizoram, Sikkim, Nagaland, Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya and Assam|
|Ranchi||West Bengal, Bihar and Jharkhand|
Q1. Is my data safe with UIDAI when enroll for an Aadhaar card?
Ans. Yes, any data that you provide during enrolment or update including your biometrics, PAN, bank account details, etc. is completely confidential and safe with UIDAI. In fact, as per Section 32(3) of the Aadhaar Act 2016 UIDAI is specifically prohibited from controlling, collecting, keeping or maintaining any information relating to the purpose of authentication either by itself or through any entity.
Q2. What is ASK or Aadhaar Seva Kendra?
Ans. Aadhaar Seva Kendras or ASKs are a one stop destination to avail all Aadhaar related services. Aadhaar Seva Kendras provide Aadhaar enrolment and update services to UIDAI residents in a state-of-the-art enrvironment.
Q3. How can I locate the nearest UIDAI ASK?
Ans. To locate the nearest Aadhaar Seva Kendra, you can visit the UIDAI website/UIDAI portal or click here.
Q4. What are the services available at the UIDAI run Aadhaar Seva Kendras?
Ans. Residents can avail the following services at any of the UIDAI Aadhaar Seva Kendras:
- Aadhaar enrolment
- Aadhaar update including biometric and demographic updates
- UIDAI Aadhar download and colour print
Q5. What are the different forms of Aadhaar issued by UIDAI? Are they equally valid?
Ans. UIDAI has introduced the following different forms of Aadhaar from time to time for the convenience of residents:
- Aadhaar Letter
- Aadhaar PVC Card
Know more about Aadhaar PVC Card/UIDAI PVC Card
All forms of UIDAI Aadhar are equally valid and residents can choose any one form of Aadhaar as per their convenience.
Q6. What is the UIDAI helpline number or UIDAI customer care number?
The 24×7 UIDAI toll-free number is 1947.