Aadhaar has been projected as the most important and the most reliable proof of identity and address for Indian residents. It not only contains the demographic details but also contains the biometric data of the card holder which makes it very hard to forge. The Aadhaar issuing authority, UIDAI, has made provisions to include all residents living in India under this scheme, irrespective of their age. Aadhar card for children is issued as well by UIDAI. Even new-borns are eligible for Aadhaar card. Many hospitals have started to get babies enrolled for Aadhaar and they provide the Aadhaar acknowledgement slips along with birth certificates these days.
Aadhar Card for Children below 5 years of Age
Before parents go for enrolling their children for Aadhaar, they should read some of the salient features of Aadhar card for children below 5 years of age:
- Aadhaar card can be generated for all children below 5 years including new-borns.
- No biometrics of the child is taken in this case.
- Only the child’s photograph is taken for Aadhaar
- It is compulsory to provide Aadhaar of any one of the parents.
- In case both parents don’t have Aadhaar, they have to get enrolled for Aadhaar first.
- Once the child is five years old, he has to provide the biometric data of all 10 fingers and iris scan.
- The photograph is also taken during the process.
- The same process has to be repeated when the child attains the age of 15 years.
Get Your Free Credit Report with Monthly Updates Check Now
Aadhaar for Children between 5 and 15 Years of Age
Aadhar card for children between 5 years and 15 years is issued in a similar manner as that of adults. UIDAI has not differentiated between Aadhaar for children and adults. However, there are some salient features of Aadhaar for children between 5 to 15 years of age:
- The process of enrolment is similar to that of adults
- The only difference is the type of documents needed to be submitted
- The child has to get the biometric data (all 10 fingerprints, iris scan and photograph) updated when he turns 15 years of age
- The birth certificate has to be provided in all cases
- The biometric data can be updated again in the later stages of life in case biometrics do not match in future