Aadhaar card for NRIs (Non Resident Indians) is available free of cost and can be availed by the person by physically visiting their nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre in India. It is particularly useful for NRIs having income sources in the country. It is also an important identification proof which can help NRIs get jobs in the government sector when they return, receive all the benefits of government subsidy schemes and social security schemes. Read further to find out more about the eligibility criteria, documentation requirement and application process of Aadhaar card for NRIs.
An NRI, either minor or adult, having a valid Indian Passport can apply for Aadhaar card by visiting any Aadhaar Seva Kendra in India.
Note: Earlier NRIs also had to be present in India for at least 182 days in a year before they could apply for an Aadhaar card. However, it is no longer mandatory to do so.
In order to apply for Aadhaar card for NRIs, an applicant needs to provide the following documents:
- A valid Indian Passport is mandatory a Proof of Identity (PoI) required from NRI applicants
- The following documents are also accepted by the UIDAI by NRI Aadhaar card applicants:
- Birth Certificate
- Photo ID Proof
- School Certificate
However, along with these documents, NRIs also have to present specific documents that present their proof of relationship to another country. All these documents are verified by government officials and competent authorities to determine if they are valid and eligible for an Aadhaar card.
Read more: Documents Required for Aadhar Card
Application Process for Aadhaar Card for NRIs
The NRI Aadhaar card enrolment process involves the following steps:
- Vist any Aadhaar Seva Kendra either after booking an appointment or without one.
- Carry your valid Indian passport along with other relevant documents that may be required.
- Fill out the enrolment form. Providing email id is a mandatory requirement for NRIs. Do remember to read and sign the declaration in your enrolment form.
- Ask the operator to enroll you as NRI.
- Provide your Passport as proof of identity. You may choose to use your Passport itself as address proof as well as date of birth proof or give some other valid document(s) acceptable to UIDAI.
- Complete the biometric capture process.
- Check and confirm all the details on screen (in English and local language) before you let the operator submit the information.
- Collect the enrolment/acknowledgement slip which has 14-digit enrolment ID and date and time stamp. You can use it to check your Aadhaar Card Status online.
Things to Keep in Mind about Aadhaar Card for NRIs
Here are a few key things to know if you wish to apply for an NRI Aadhaar card:
- Having an Aadhaar card can definitely fasten and simplify many procedures for NRIs in the country but is not a mandatory requirement.
- An NRI Aadhar card is not a proof of Indian citizenship and does not grant any foreigner the right to stay in the country in case they are non-compliant with other requirements.
- NRIs are not compelled by any mandate to link their bank accounts with Aadhaar if they do not wish to benefit under section 7 of the Aadhaar Act.
- In case you do not have your original Aadhaar card with you during any transaction/procedure, you can make use of your Aadhaar letter, e-Aadhaar or mAadhaar profile as ID proof. All of them have the same validity and serve the same purpose.
- Aadhaar card is a comprehensive document. However, you cannot solely depend on it to enjoy services. Authorities carry out additional verifications as well to prevent the slightest discrepancy.
FAQs on Aadhaar Card for NRIs
Q1. What is the significance of Aadhaar card for NRIs?
Ans. An Aadhar card is useful for NRIs if they plan to return to India and particularly for those who plan to stay here for some time. Given below are a few instances where an NRI Aadhaar card will come in handy:
- Having an Aadhaar card or e-Aadhaar can help fasten up the KYC procedures for all transactions within India.
- It is one of the most accepted identity proof for operations like opening a bank account or property-related paperwork.
- Aadhaar card for NRIs is also important for for getting a job in the country, particularly in the government sector.
- In case you want to file your ITR, is it is necessary to have an Aadhaar card according to Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act, 1961. This will help make the entire process Income Tax Return filing process a lot more convenient.
Q2. I am an NRI and I have an Aadhaar. Can my spouse be enrolled based on my Aadhaar & passport?
If spouse is NRI – valid Indian passport of the applicant is mandatory as Proof of Identity
If spouse is an Indian resident (not NRI) – any valid Proof of Relationship document acceptable to UIDAI including your Passport (having name of your spouse) can be used for enrolment under Head of Family (HoF)
Q3. What is the process for Aadhaar Enrolment for Children of NRIs?
If the child is below the age of 5 years:
- One of the parents/ guardian has to authenticate on behalf of the child. He/she also has to give consent for minor’s enrolment by signing the enrolment form.
- In case the child is an NRI – valid Indian passport of the child is mandatory as Proof of Identity
- In case the child is an Indian resident (not NRI) – any valid Proof of Relationship document like Birth Certificate, along with Aadhaar of the parent/ guardian, can be used for enrolment
If the child is aged between 5 to 18 years:
- One of the parents/ guardian has to give consent for the minor’s enrolment by signing the enrolment form
- In case the minor is an NRI – valid Indian passport of the child is mandatory as Proof of Identity
- In case the minor is an Indian resident (not NRI) –
- Minor does not have a document in his name:any valid Proof of Relationship such as Birth certificate can be used for enrolment under Head of Family
- Minor has a document:any valid Proof of Identity and Proof of Address document (like School ID card) in the child’s name can be used for enrolment
Q4. Can I give an international mobile number in my Aadhaar details?
Ans. No, as of now International mobile numbers are not supported. Hence, you cannot provide it in your Aadhaar details.
Q5. The address in my passport is not updated. I want to give my present address for my Aadhaar application. Is this possible?
Ans. Yes. A valid Indian Passport is mandatory as a Proof of Identity for NRI applicants. However, in case your address is not updated in your passport and you want to give your present address for your Aadhaar application, you can give any supporting documents acceptable to UIDAI as a proof of address.
Q6. I am an NRI. Do I have to wait for 182 days to apply for Aadhaar card?
Ans. No. You are no longer required to wait for 182 days to apply for Aadhaar card. If you have a valid Indian passport, you may apply for Aadhaar on arrival.
Q7. How long does it take to get Aadhaar card for NRIs?
Ans. It takes about 90 days for an Aadhaar card to be delivered by post at the resident’s registered address.
Q8. Can NRI apply for Aadhaar card from USA?
Ans. NRIs have to be physically present in India to apply for an Aadhaar card.