Since the government has made it necessary for all Indian citizens to enrol in the Aadhaar Yojna, non-resident Indians who are Indian citizens also need to register. This concerns the NRIs having income sources in the country as well. However, NRIs from selected countries such as Abu Dhabi are exempted from the requirement of Aadhaar card while filing income tax returns from home.
Aadhaar Card for Non-Resident Indian:
Aadhaar card is available free of cost for all Indian citizens (residents/non-residents) and resident foreign nationals regardless of their nationality and/or citizenship. The procedure and requirement of documents are same for everyone. In addition, the person has to be physically present at the time of enrolment at any of the Aadhaar card centres in the country. Individuals can visit their nearest Aadhaar centre and book an appointment for enrolment.
This is a strong identification proof which can help NRIs to get jobs in the government sector when they return. NRIs can receive all the benefits of government study schemes and social security schemes as well.
Application Process for Aadhaar Card for NRIs:
Any person residing in India can apply for an Aadhaar card. The process is simple and does not involve complicated paperwork. The eligibility criteria for Aadhaar card is as follows:
- The person has to be above the age of 3 years.
- The person has to be an Indian resident.
- Foreigners are also eligible for enrolment.
- Foreigners residing in the country along with NRIs are eligible for Aadhaar card.
Documents Required for NRIs for Aadhaar Card:
NRIs willing to enrol in the Aadhaar Yojna must have a few basic documents with them. The following documents are accepted by the UIDAI for apply NRIs Aadhar card:
- Birth Certificate
- Photo ID Proof
- School Certificate.
However, along with these documents, NRIs also have to present specific documents that present their proof of relationship to another country. All these documents are verified by government officials and competent authorities to determine if they are valid and eligible for an Aadhaar card.
After collecting and verifying all the documents, the applicants are requested to provide the biometric information. The process of Aadhaar card enrolment also requires biometric identification which is then linked to the information collected through the documents. The biometric identification process involves four steps.
- Scanning the Fingerprints: Applicants have to provide the fingerprints of all 10 fingers. The prints are stored in the government database. This is the first and most important step in creating a unique ID.
- IRIS Scanning: This is another step towards creating a unique and perfect ID for an individual. This process is conducted at the Aadhaar centre just after the fingerprint scanning.
- Photograph: Government officials do not accept stored photographs. They will take a passport size photo of the applicant through a webcam. This photo is then printed on the card.
- Processing: This is the time taken in collecting and linking all the biometric and physical data to each other. It takes around 90 days to create and dispatch an Aadhaar card. Applicants can also track their card status on the UIDAI website. This can be done through the enrolment number provided by the Aadhaar centre.
FAQs on Aadhar Card for Non-Resident Indian
Q1. I am an NRI and I have an Aadhaar. Can my spouse be enrolled based on my Aadhaar & passport?
Yes, your spouse can be enrolled based on your Aadhaar and passport. If the spouse is a Non-Resident Indian (NRI), he/she has to submit a valid Indian passport as Proof of Identity (PoI).
Q2. What is the process for Aadhaar Enrolment for Children of NRIs?
The process of Aadhaar Enrolment for Children of NIRs is as follows:
- One of the parents has to verify the details of the child by signing the Aadhaar Enrolment form on behalf of the child
- In case the child is an NRI, his Indian passport will be considered as a mandatory proof of Identity (POI)
Note: It is mandatory for the parents to provide consent for the Aadhaar enrolment of the child.
Q3. Can I give an international mobile number in my Aadhaar Details?
No, as of now International mobile numbers are not supported. Hence, you cannot provide it in your Aadhaar details.
Q4. The address in my passport is not updated. I want to give my present address for my Aadhaar application. Is this possible?
Yes, in case your address is not updated in your passport and you want to give your present address for your Aadhaar application, you can give any supporting documents as a proof of address. However, a passport is considered to be a mandatory proof of address for NRI applicants.