Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a mandatory requirement for almost all Indian citizens and commercial entities, especially those who pay income tax and are identifiable under the Income Tax Act, 1961. It’s a 10-digit unique alphanumeric identification code through which all the monetary transactions are tracked. Hence, it helps to reduce tax evasion by keeping a record of all financial transactions. PAN card is also issued to foreign nationals (such as foreign investors) who are permitted with a valid visa.
The Income Tax Department of India offers three types of PAN Card application forms. They are:
|Download PAN Application Form||Description|
Let us now understand all the types of forms in detail.
Form 49A – Application for PAN Allotment
In case you have never applied for a PAN Card and want to apply for a new PAN Card, you need to fill the form 49A for the allotment of PAN.
Know more on PAN card Form 49A
Form 49AA – Application for PAN Allotment applicable for foreign citizens
This form is basically for the foreign citizens who have never applied for a PAN Card and want to apply for a new PAN Card.
For all three forms, you need to visit the official website of TIN-NSDL and choose your application type and fill the form as required.
Read more on PAN card Form 49AA
Documents Required for Form 49 A and Form 49 AA
You need to attach documents for PAN Card along with the Form 49A a Proof of Address (POA), Proof of Identity (POI) as well as Proof of Date of Birth for the PAN application such as:
- Aadhaar Card issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India; or
- Elector’s photo identity card; or
- Driving License; or
- Passport; or
- Ration card having a photograph of the applicant; or
- Arm’s license; or
- Photo identity card issued by the Central Government or State Government or Public Sector Undertaking; or
- Pensioner card having a photograph of the applicant; or
- Central Government Health Service Scheme Card or Ex-Servicemen Contributory Health Scheme photo card; or
- Certificate of identity in Original signed by a Member of Parliament or Member of Legislative Assembly or Municipal Councilor or a Gazetted officer, as the case may be; or
- Bank certificate in Original on letterhead from the branch(along with name and stamp of the issuing officer) containing a duly attested photograph and bank account number of the applicant
Citizens outside the country are supposed to submit necessary documents along with Form 49AA for Proof of Identity and Proof of Address. Below mentioned are the documents required to submit with the application form:
Documents for Proof of Identity:
- Driving licence
- Arm’s licence
- Aadhaar Card
- Any photo identity card issued by a government body
- Pensioner card with a photograph of the applicant
- Bank certificate
Documents for Proof of Address:
- Electricity bill
- Landline bill
- Broadband connection bill
- Water bill
- Consumer gas connection
- Bank account statement
- Depository account statement
- Post office passbook
- Passport of the spouse
- A domicile certificate that is issued by the government
- Aadhaar card
Also Read: How to Apply for a PAN Card Online?
Steps to Apply for PAN Card Online
For instance, if you wish to apply for a new PAN Card, you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
Step 1: Visit the official website of NSDL i.e. https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html
Step 2: Select the ‘Application Type’ i.e. New PAN – Indian Citizen (Form 49A)
Step 3: Select the ‘Category’ as applicable
Step 4: Now, you need to fill in all the mandatory details like your name, date of birth, mobile number, etc.
Step 5: Once you successfully fill the form, you will get a notification regarding your registration along with your token number
Step 6: You need to click on the ‘Continue with the PAN Application Form’ button
Step 7: You have to enter details such as your contact details, etc.
Step 8: Enter your Area Code, AO Type, and other details
Step 9: You don’t have to attach the documents along with the form as all the details will be taken from your Aadhaar Card automatically. Tick mark the declaration to proceed further
Step 10: In case there are any errors in the form, it will appear on the screen. If no changes, click on the ‘Proceed’ button
Step 11: You will be redirected to the payment section where you have to make payment through payment options like demand draft/net banking/debit/credit card
Step 12: After the payment is successfully done, an acknowledge form will be sent along with the 15-digit acknowledgment slip to track the status of your PAN Card
Note: The digital submission of the form i.e. the paperless online application for updating PAN Card, the facility of e-KYC and e-Sign (i.e. Aadhaar based e-Signature) and Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) has been provided to enable PAN applicants to furnish the application for PAN online. (Please refer to step 6)
As per provisions of Section 272B of the Income Tax Act., 1961, a penalty of Rs. 10,000 can be levied on possession of more than one PAN.
Once the Aadhaar authentication is successfully completed, a One Time Password (OTP) will be sent on your registered mobile number/email ID linked with Aadhaar Card to generate the Aadhaar-based e-Sign.
Also Read: How to track the status of PAN Card?
Things to keep in mind while Filling various Types of PAN Card Forms
- Form 49A has to be submitted only after filling all mandatory fields otherwise the application will not be processed further
- An individual has to provide the following information at the time of filling the Form 49A:
- Personal details such as name, DoB, address, photograph, etc.
- Source of income
- Documents to validate the data
- Fee for applying for PAN
- The charges for applying for PAN is Rs. 107 (including taxes) for Indian communication address and Rs. 1017 (including taxes) for foreign communication address. The payment can be made through credit/debit card, demand draft, or net-banking. These charges are applicable when you apply for PAN by visiting a PAN centre or when you apply online but submit the PAN documents physically. To know the complete list of PAN card fees and charges, click here.
- Form 49AA must be filled in English only. If the form is filled in any other language, the application is not accepted
- The applicant’s mother’s name is optional and the applicant can skip mentioning her name while filling form 49AA of PAN Card
- It is mandatory to provide the registration number if you are a company, firm, etc.