Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a 10-digit alphanumeric number issued to all income-earning individuals or non-individual entities regarding income tax payment and availing government subsidies. PAN Card Form 49AA is basically an application form used by the individuals, who are not the citizens of India or any non-individual entities incorporated outside India. This form requires the KYC details of the applicant and should be duly filled by a Foreign Institutional Investor or a Qualified Foreign Investor as prescribed under regulations provided by the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
To Download PAN Form 49AA – Click Here
Get Your Free Credit Report with Monthly Updates Check Now
Structure of Form 49AA
The structure of Form 49AA and Form 49A is quite similar. Individuals filling Form 49AA only need to provide their basic details which is required for the process of KYC . This form should be duly filled by the Foreign Institutional Investor or a Qualified Foreign Investor under a regulation issued by SEBI.
For Individuals –
- Marital status
- Citizenship Status
- Occupation details- Private sector service, Public sector/Govt. service, Business
- Professional, Agriculturist, Retired, Housewife, Student, or Other
For Non-Individuals –
- Type of company- Private Company, Public Company, Body Corporate, Financial Institution, Non-Government Organization or Charitable Organization
- Gross Annual Income in INR
- Net-worth (Assets less liabilities) in INR
- Does it have few persons or persons of the same family holding beneficial ownership and control
- Is the entity involved/providing any of the following services- Foreign Exchange, Money Changer Services, Gaming/Gambling/Lottery services (Casinos and Betting Syndicates) or Money Lending, Pawning
- Whether the applicant or the applicant’s authorized signatories/trustees/office bearers are politically exposed or related to a politically exposed person
- Taxpayer Identification Number in the country of residence
Note: Form 49AA is available online and can be downloaded from the official website of NSDL e-governance or UTIITSL
The procedure of filling Form 49AA
Form 49AA consists of 17 sections and various sub-sections to provide ease to the applicant in filling up the PAN form. Given below are the components that Form 49AA serves to be duly filled:
- Assessing Officer Code: The first field that the applicant needs to fill is of Assessing Officer (AO Code). It consists of AO Type, Range number, or AO number. You can find information regarding this on the NSDL website
- Full Name: Fill in your title such as Mr./Mrs./Ms./ with your surname, full name, and middle name. (Full expanded name to be mentioned as appearing in proof of identity/address documents: initials are not permitted)
- Other Name: If you have been known by other names, then mention it in the given space of the form
- Gender: Tick mark for your gender. It is applicable only for the individual applicants
- Date of Birth: Enter your Date of Birth/Incorporation/Agreement/ Partnership/Association of Person in the next field
- Details of Parents: Enter the details of your parents in the given space. It is applicable only for individual applicants:
- Father’s Name (mandatory)
- Mother’s (optional)
- Tick Mark the name of either father or mother which you may like to be printed on PAN card (in case no option is provided then PAN card will be issued with father’s name)
- Address: Enter your residence address and office address in the given space with all the necessary details such as name of the premises/building, area, town, city, district, PIN Code, etc.
- Address for Communication: Tick mark the address for communication i.e. either residence or office
- Telephone Number and Email Address Details: Fill in your mobile number and a valid e-mail address to receive regular updates regarding your PAN application
- Status of the Applicant: Status of the applicant such as Individual/ HUF/Company/Partnership Firm and others mentioned in the form needs to be tick marked as applicable
- Registration Number: It is mandatory to provide the registration number if you are a company, firms, etc.
- Country of Citizenship and ISD Code: Mention your country of citizenship and ISD code of the country of citizenship
- Source of Income: Fill in the source of income i.e.
- Income from Business or Profession
- Income from House Property
- Capital Gains
- Income from other Sources
- No Income
Also, fill in the Business or Profession Code in case you have selected the Income from Business or Profession as the source of income.
- Representative or Agent of the Application in India: Mention the full name and address of the representative or agent of the applicant in India. The name should not be in abbreviations . Moreover, the address should include the details such as the name of the building/premises, area, locality, city, state, PIN Code, etc.
- Documents Required: After that, you need to enter the name of the document submitted as Proof of Identity(POI) and Proof of Address(POA). In the end, you need to fill the name, with date, and place, and duly sign on the form. Submit the duly filled form to NSDL e-Govt. or UTIITSL office along with other required documents and fee’s demand draft
- KYC Details: The KYC details are supposed to be filled in by Foreign Institutional Investor or a Qualified Foreign Investor as prescribed under the regulations, 1997 issued by SEBI. Details like that of individuals or non-individuals, Gross Annual Income, in case of a Public Company, whether listed on a stock exchange, etc.
- Declaration: In this last section, the applicant has to sign the declaration with details like mentioning the name of the place, date of birth (in DD/MM/YY) format and signature/left thumb impression
Documents Required along with the Form 49AA
Citizens outside the country are supposed to submit necessary documents along with Form 49AA for Proof of Identity and Proof of Address. Below mentioned are the documents required to submit with the application form:
Documents for Proof of Identity:
- Driving licence
- Arm’s licence
- Aadhaar Card
- Any photo identity card issued by a government body
- Pensioner card with a photograph of the applicant
- Bank certificate
Documents for Proof of Address:
- Electricity bill
- Landline bill
- Broadband connection bill
- Water bill
- Consumer gas connection
- Bank account statement
- Depository account statement
- Post office passbook
- Passport of the spouse
- A domicile certificate that is issued by the government
- Aadhaar card
FAQs for PAN Card Form 49AA
Q. Can I fill up Form 49AA in my regional/native language?
Ans. Form 49AA has to be filled in English only. If the form is filled in any other language, the application is not accepted.
Q. What are the various payment channels that are available for making a payment for your PAN?
Q. In the case of disability, can I use my left thumb for signing a PAN application form?
Ans. In case an applicant fills the form offline and he is disabled, he can use the left thumb impression for verification.
Q. Is it mandatory to mention the name of the mother under the parents details section?
Ans. No, the applicant’s mother’s name is optional and the applicant can skip mentioning her name while filling form 49AA of PAN Card.