PAN (Permanent Account Number) is a unique 10 digit alphanumeric code assigned to all taxpaying entities in India. It is also issued to foreign nationals who are entitled to pay taxes to the Indian Government. The government has now made it mandatory for people to link their PAN Card number with bank accounts to do transactions through them.
Linking PAN Card with Bank Account through Internet Banking
If you have not linked your bank account with your PAN and also do not have time to visit the bank, you can do it online from the comfort of your home or office. Here is the process that you need to follow:
- Open the website of your bank and go to the internet banking login page.
- Enter your user id and password and login to your internet banking account.
- Click on the “Service Requests” option from the range of options on the website.
- Select the “PAN Card Updation” option.
- Now enter your PAN, date of birth as mentioned on your PAN card and your registered e-mail address with the bank.
- Click the submit button after rechecking the details that you have entered.
- Your PAN will be linked with your bank account in a couple of days.
Get Your Free Credit Report with Monthly Updates Check Now
Linking PAN Card with Bank Account through Phone
PAN card can also be linked with your bank account even if you do not have any internet access at home. You will have to call the customer care of the bank and follow the IVR step by step.
- Call the toll-free customer care number of your bank. You can get it on the bank’s passbook, chequebook, pamphlets and other documents.
- Go through the IVR options and connect with the PAN card customer care executive.
- Inform the executive that you want to get your PAN linked with your account.
- You will be asked various questions such as your account number, address, debit card number, etc. to verify your credentials.
- Tell your PAN to the executive and confirm whether he has marked correct PAN.
- Once registered, your request will take another two days to process and the bank will link your PAN with the bank account.
Linking PAN Card with Bank Account Offline
For all those who are not familiar with internet banking or mobile banking, they can visit the bank to get their bank account linked with their PAN. If you fall in this category, you will have to follow a few simple steps.
- Visit the home branch where your account is being operated.
- Ask for the PAN updation form (KYC) and fill it completely. Ensure that you do not overwrite or make mistakes in the form.
- Submit the following documents:
- PAN updation form (KYC)
- Self –attested copy of your PAN card.
- A letter addressing the Branch Manager regarding linking PAN with your bank account.
- Once submitted, your PAN would be linked with your operational bank account.
A Good Credit Score ensures you manage Your Finances Well Check Now
FAQs on Linking PAN with Bank Account Number
Q. Can we link a PAN card to the bank account online?
Ans. Yes, you can link your PAN Card to the bank account online by using your bank’s mobile app or through internet banking.
Q. What happens if the PAN card is not linked with a bank account?
Ans. In case your PAN Card is not linked with a bank account, opening a fixed deposit account, depositing cash more than Rs. 50,000 will not be possible. Moreover, it will also result in TDS getting deducted at 20% if the interest amount of the FD account exceeds Rs. 40,000 which is higher than the current 10%.
Q. Is a PAN card necessary for a bank account?
Ans. Yes, in case you want to open a bank account, you mandatorily have to provide a PAN Card.
Q. How can one know how many accounts he has with his PAN number?
Ans. To know how many accounts are linked to your PAN number, you can log in to the official portal of income tax e-filing and enter your user ID and password and can find the option to verify your bank account details.