PAN or Permanent Account Number is a unique identifier comprising 10 alpha-numeric characters issued by the Income Tax department of India under Section 139 of the Income Tax Act, 1961. The purpose of a PAN card is to track tax-related financial transactions of individuals as well as organisations. PAN is not proof of citizenship hence a valid PAN in India can be held by foreign nationals and companies that are liable to be taxed.
Know your PAN Number by Name and DOB
As of now, there’s no procedure by which you can check your PAN Card details using Name and Date of Birth, but you can check your PAN Card details like your PAN number by verifying your PAN and by entering name and date of birth. Follow the below-mentioned steps to verify your PAN Card:
Step 1: Visit the Income Tax Department’s e-filing home page.
Step 2: Under the section “Quick Links” you need to click on ‘Verify your PAN Details’
Step 3: Now, enter your PAN, full name, date of birth and mobile number
Step 4: Select the status i.e., whether individual, Hindu undivided family, the association of persons, body of individuals, company, government, artificial juridical person, local authority, and firm or trust
Step5: Enter the “Captcha Code” for verification from the given box
Step 6: Click on “Submit” option
Step 7: You will be redirected to a new page, and it will show “ Your PAN is Active and the details are matching with PAN Database”
Note: Earlier, there was “Know your PAN” service which has recently been discontinued by the Income Tax Department website. The earlier system has been replaced by the “Verify your PAN Details” service and the details for the same are mentioned above.
Get Free Credit Report with monthly updates. Check Now
Know your PAN Card Details from Income Tax Website
If anyone wants to know their PAN card details through Income Tax Website, they need to follow the steps mentioned below:
Step 1: Visit the official website here.
Step 2: Click on “Register Yourself” or “Registered User” if you have already registered.
Step 3: Select your user type as applicable and click on “Continue”.
Step 4: Fill up the Registration Form and click on “Submit”.
Step 6: An activation link will be sent to the email address provided by you. Click on this link to activate your account.
Step 7: Log in to your account on the e-Filing website.
Step 8: Select “Profile Settings” and “My Account”.
The following details will be displayed under “PAN details”:
- PAN number
- Name of Assessee
- Date of Birth
- Address of Assessee
- You can also view your address and contact details in separate tabs.
Get Free Credit Report with monthly updates. Check Now
How to Track PAN Card Status?
Once the application has been submitted, it usually takes 15 working days before you receive your PAN Card. However, until you get your PAN Card delivered, you can always track the application status of your PAN Card by providing the 15-digit acknowledgement number.
There are three ways in which you can track Pan Card status and the steps are as follows:
Track PAN Card Status via SMS facility
You can track the status of your PAN card via SMS facility
- Type NSDLPAN followed by your 15-digit acknowledgement number of PAN application
- Send the SMS to ‘57575’
- After this, the current status of your PAN card will be sent via an SMS
Track PAN Card Status through Call
This is the second method by which you can track your PAN card application status. In this method, you can make a call to the TIN call centre on 020-27218080 in order to get an update about the current application status of your PAN card. You will have to provide your 15-digit acknowledgement number of PAN application to know the PAN card application status through IVR
Track PAN Card Status Online
You can also choose the online facility for tracking your PAN application status through the TIN-NSDL website which is the official PAN Card website. Follow the below-mentioned steps to know how to track PAN Card Status Online:
Step 1: Visit the official website of PAN Card, i.e., TIN-NSDL or you can directly visit the official website here.
Step 2: Now, under guided tour, select “Status Track”
Step 3: You will be redirected to a new page, now click on “Track Status of your PAN / TAN application online”
Step 4: Select application type as ‘PAN – New/Change Request’ from the drop-down menu
Step 5: Enter “Acknowledgement Number” to proceed further
Step 6: Enter “Captcha Code” for verification
Step 7: Now, click on Submit and the status of the PAN Card application will appear on the screen
Your Credit Score Is Now Absolutely Free Check Now
When Should One Check the PAN Status
You should check the status of the PAN card application only after 5 days from the date of 15-digit numbered acknowledgement or 10-digit from UTI Coupon Generated.
What is Required to Check the PAN Status?
In order to check the PAN application status, you are required to possess the following two things:
- Acknowledgement number, if you have applied for the PAN card through NSDL
- Coupon number, if the applicant has applied for the PAN card through UTI
Who Can Check the PAN Status
A PAN applicant who has applied for a PAN card can check his/her PAN card status with the help of the 15-digit acknowledgement number. An acknowledgement number is a 15-digit number which is used for tracking PAN card through an online PAN status portal.
Can an Applicant Check His/Her PAN Status through Name?
As stated above, you cannot check your PAN Card status/details using your Name and Date of Birth. However, you can check your PAN Card details by verifying your PAN online and by entering your name and date of birth.
PAN Transaction Status
There are many facilities available to all the individuals who apply for a PAN card. You can pay via internet banking, demand draft or credit/debit card. The transaction status is only meant for those who have paid via credit/debit card or internet banking. Such applications can be tracked using the online mode.
Need and Advantages of PAN
The Government of India has made it compulsory for all the citizens to have a PAN card because of its varied uses and benefits.. Following are the widespread needs and uses of the PAN card:
- PAN is required if the taxpayer wishes to pay direct taxes
- If a taxpayer is starting a new business venture and it needs to be registered, then PAN details are compulsorily required
- PAN Card is required by taxpayers for the payment of income tax
If the taxpayer is undertaking different financial transactions, PAN card details are required. The financial transactions can be anything like sale or purchase of a vehicle, buying a property, etc. The different financial transactions are as follows:
- Fund transfer from NRE to NRO account
- Global remittance of money
- Buying insurance policy of Rs 50,000 or more
- Purchasing shares for Rs 50,000 or more
- Sale or purchase of immovable property of Rs 5 lakhs or more
- Sale or purchase of a vehicle other than a two-wheeler
- Hotel or restaurant bill payment of value Rs 25,000 or more
- Buying schemes related to mutual funds
- Making bank deposits of Rs 50,000 or more
- A PAN card can also alternatively be used as the identity proof of the taxpayer
- Through PAN, the taxpayer can also keep a check on the tax payment
- If the taxpayer wishes to opt for different connections like the internet, telephone, etc., the PAN card number can be used for the same
- Again, various financial transactions can also be tracked by the taxpayer with the help of the PAN number
Application of PAN Card
The PAN card procedure is compulsory for every taxpayer in the country. Various centres and agencies are present even in the rural parts of India so that the taxpayers can easily apply for PAN card. The PAN card application process is very easy and convenient and can be done both via online and offline modes.
The online PAN card application process takes place on its official website or NSDL website and the offline application process takes place at the various PAN agencies and centres that are present at the district level. For both online as well as offline PAN application, a special form called form 49A needs to be filled properly and submitted by the taxpayer.
Documents Required for PAN Card Application
For a successful application of a PAN card, the taxpayer is supposed to submit a host of supporting documents for PAN along with the form 49A to the NSDL agencies. These documents are:
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Address
- Birth Certificate
Your Credit Score Is Now Absolutely Free Check Now
Things to Remember for a PAN Card Application
Though the process of PAN card application is very easy and trouble-free, a slight mistake on the part of the taxpayer can create many problems. The applicant must always remember certain pointers that are to be thoroughly followed for a proper PAN card application process. These pointers are as follows:
- The details filled in the PAN card form should coincide with the details mentioned in the supporting documents like identity proof and address proof provided by the taxpayer
- To avoid PAN card disqualification, the thumb impression of the applicant should be attested by the Notary or the Magistrate before form submission
- The address mentioned in the form should be full and other contact details should also be accurate and proper
- The application form 49A should be filled in capital letters
- No form of corrections or overwriting should be done in the application form
- In the columns of first name and last name, initials should not be used
- A new PAN card should not be applied if the previous one is lost or stolen
PAN Card Forms
Different categories of applicants are required to fill different types of forms for a new PAN card. These forms are as follows:
- Form 49A– All Indian citizens, companies, firms, trusts, NGOs, minors and students have to submit this form
- Form 49AA– This form is mainly submitted by nationals residing outside India but paying taxes in India
- Form 60 – If you do not have a PAN Card and are below the 60-year-old mark, fill this form
- Form 61 – If you are 60 years old or above and do not have a PAN Card, this form is for you
Know Your PAN FAQs
Q. How can I know about my PAN Card?
Ans. You can visit the Income Tax E-filing website or TIN-NSDL or UTIITSL to know about your PAN card.
Q. Are there any charges for tracking the status of the PAN application?
Ans. No, there is no charge for tracking the status of the PAN application. You can check the PAN status free of cost innumerably.
Q. How can I check the status of my PAN Card Application?
Ans. You can easily check the status of PAN card application by visiting https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pantan/StatusTrack.html or http://www.trackpan.utiitsl.com/PANONLINE/#forward
Q. Is it compulsory to quote PAN when filing ITR?
Ans. Yes, it is necessary to quote PAN in the ITR application. You will be liable to pay a penalty of a maximum of Rs. 10,000 in case of any default.
Q. Is there a Tatkal facility for allotment of PAN?
Ans. No, there is no such provision for the allotment of PAN.
Q. How can I make a “Correction or Request for New PAN Card”?
Ans. You may obtain a “Request for New Card or Correction/updates in PAN card” through a format prescribed by the Income Tax Department. Also, you can download it from the Income Tax Department website (www.incometaxindia.gov.in)/ UTIITSL website (www.utiitsl.com)/ NSDL website (www.tin-nsdl.com).
Q. Where should I submit the PAN application form?
Ans. The PAN card application form should be sent to:
Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341,
Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony,
Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016