Read in: HindiUpdated: 21-01-2019 08:26:34 AM
EPF withdrawal claim is made by an employee if he is unemployed or at the time of retirement. 75% of the EPF balance can be withdrawn after one month of unemployment and the balance 25% can be withdrawn after two months of unemployment. You can make a withdrawal claim by filling the EPF withdrawal form online. Note that you can use the online withdrawal claim facility only if your Aadhaar is linked with your UAN.
EPF Withdrawal Online Procedure
Follow the steps given below to fill the EPF withdrawal form and initiate a claim online:-
Step 1- Sign in to the UAN Member Portal with your UAN and Password.
Step 2- From the top menu bar, click on the ‘Online Services’ tab and select ‘Claim (Form-31, 19 & 10C)’ from the drop-down menu.
Step 3- Member Details will be displayed on the screen. Enter the last 4 digits of your bank account and click on “Verify”
Step 4- Click on “Yes” to sign the certificate of undertaking and proceed further
Step 5- Now click on the “Proceed for Online Claim” option
Step 6- Select “PF Advance (Form 31)” to withdraw your funds online
Step 7 – A fresh section of the form will be opened from where you have to select the “Purpose for which advance is required”, the amount required and the employee’s address
It is worth noting that all options for which the employee is not eligible for withdrawal will be mentioned in red.
Step 8 – Tick on the certification and submit your application
Step 9 – You may have to submit scanned documents depending on the purpose for which you have filled the form
Step 10 – Your employer has to approve your withdrawal request after which the money will be withdrawn from your EPF account and deposited in the bank account mentioned at the time of filling the withdrawal form.
An SMS notification will be sent to your mobile number registered with EPFO. Once the claim is processed, the amount will be transferred into your bank account. The money usually gets credited within 15-20 days, although no formal time limit has been provided by the EPFO.
EPF Withdrawal Forms
At the time of filing an online withdrawal claim, you will find three EPF withdrawal forms –
- PF Advance (Form – 31)
- Only PF Withdrawal- Form 19
- Only Pension Withdrawal- Form 10C
EPF Advance/Partial Withdrawal – Form 31
A member can withdraw a part of his EPF corpus to meet emergency requirements during the employment period by filling the Form 31. If you are withdrawing on the ground of unemployment, you have to fill Form 31. The purpose for withdrawal has to be mentioned in the form. The approval of amount claimed depends on the allowable limit and the fund accumulated in the member’s EPF account. Reasons for withdrawal can be medical reasons, wedding, higher education, etc.
EPF Complete Withdrawal/Final Settlement – Form 19
This form is filled to withdraw the entire accumulated PF amount at the time of retirement. This is also known as ‘Final Settlement’. You need to fill your personal details and employment details such as your date of leaving, the reason of leaving services, date of joining services, PAN, UAN and Aadhaar Number, bank account details, full postal address, etc.
Pension Withdrawal – Form 10C
If you want to withdraw the pension amount, Form – 10C should be filled. Thus if you are withdrawing your PF on the ground of unemployment you have to fill Form 31 and Form 10 C. The fields in this form are similar to that in Form 19. The pension amount is regulated by the Employees’ Pension Scheme, 1950 whereas the PF amount is regulated by the Employees’ Provident Fund Scheme, 1952. So if you want to withdraw both the PF and pension amounts, you will have to fill the two forms separately.
Composite Claim Form
When applying for the withdrawal offline, you are required to fill out the Composite Claim Form which serves the purpose of three forms – Form 19 (For Final PF Settlement), Form 10C (For Pension Withdrawal) and Form 31 (For Part-withdrawal of PF amount).
Points to Remember before Making PF Withdrawal Claim Online
You can claim your PF online only if you meet the following conditions :
- You must be allotted a UAN number and it should be activated
- Your mobile number must be registered with the UAN
- Your bank details must be seeded into the UAN
- Your PAN and Aadhaar should be seeded into the EPFO database
EPF Withdrawal Portal
EPF withdrawal can be done through the UAN member portal. The member has to first activate his UAN and then login to the portal for online withdrawal. The portal can also be used to transfer funds from his old PF account to a new account. Other online services such as eKYC, contact details update, etc. can also be performed through this portal.
PF Withdrawal or EPF Claim Status
EPF withdrawal status can be checked online at the EPF member portal. You have to login to the portal online and select the “Track Claim Status” in the “Online Services” section. You do not have to enter any reference number to check the status. The status will be displayed on the screen automatically.
Benefits of EPF Withdrawal Online
Making an online EPF withdrawal claim has a number of benefits, such as –
- Hassle-free Withdrawal- Online claim saves you from the hassle of visiting the PF office in person and standing in long queues. You just need to fill the forms online from the comfort of your home.
- Reduced Processing Time- With online claims, the amount will be processed and credited into your bank account within 15-20 days of the application. The government plans to further reduce the processing time.
- No need to visit the previous employer for verification- Unlike offline claim wherein you have to get your documents attested by the employer, online claims verification is done automatically. This is especially helpful for people who have moved to a new city as it will save them from the trouble of mailing the documents or travelling long distances.
FAQs Related to EPF Withdrawal
1) Is Form 15G/H required while filling EPF withdrawal form?
A. EPF withdrawal is exempted from tax if withdrawn after a service period of 5 years. However, if the withdrawal is made before the completion of 5 years, the member has to pay tax on the withdrawn amount. If the member furnishes Form 15G/H, no TDS is deducted at the time of withdrawal.
2) How much tax will I have to pay during withdrawal if I have not completed 5 years of service?
A. An EPF withdrawal made within 5 years of service is taxable at your slab rate. Any deduction you may have claimed on your EPF contribution in the previous five years is also reversed at the time of withdrawal (if withdrawal is made within 5 years of service). If an EPF withdrawal is made after 5 years of service, the same is not taxable. TDS will be deducted at a rate of 10% on EPF withdrawal of amount above ₹ 50,000. There is no TDS deduction if the withdrawal amount is below ₹ 50,000. However, if PAN is not furnished and the withdrawal amount is more than ₹ 50,000, the TDS will be deducted at a rate of 34.608%.
3) What is the EPF withdrawal limit?
A. EPF withdrawal limit depends on the purpose for which the withdrawal is claimed.
|EPF Withdrawal Purpose||Withdrawal Limit|
|Medical Purpose||Lower of the total corpus or six times the monthly salary|
|Wedding||50% of PF contribution|
|Home Loan Repayment||Up to 90% of the EPF corpus|
|Home Renovation||12 times the monthly salary|
|Retirement||Total EPF Balance|
|Unemployment||75% after 1st month and 25% after 2nd month of unemployment|
4) What are the requirements for EPF withdrawal for home loan repayment?
A. The primary requirement for the member to withdraw EPF for home loan repayment is that the member should have completed three years of continuous service. Also, the maximum amount that can be withdrawn for the purpose is 90% of the EPF corpus.
5) Can I claim EPF without logging in to the EPF portal?
A. You can fill EPF withdrawal form offline if you do not wish to use the online platform. In case you want to use the online method, you will have to login to the EPF member portal using your UAN and password.
6) What is the online procedure of EPF withdrawal of previous organizations, if the current organization’s PF number is also linked with the same UAN number?
A. If you are currently employed and you have opened a new PF account linked with the same UAN then you are not eligible to withdraw your last EPF balance. It is advisable to transfer the balance to the new PF account by logging in to the EPF Member e-Sewa Portal and opting for the “One Member-One EPF Account (Transfer Request)” option in the “Online Services” drop-down menu.
However, if you are currently unemployed for more than two months then you can claim for the total withdrawal of your EPF funds by filling in Form 19.
7) Is PAN mandatory for EPF withdrawal?
A. PAN is required during EPF withdrawal/settlement if you do not want some excess tax to be deducted from your EPF account. If you fail to submit PAN, the tax deducted at source (TDS) can be as high as 34.6%.
8) How many times can I withdraw the PF money in advance online?
A. PF advance can be claimed on various but pre-specified grounds. Please read Situations when you can make a pre-retirement withdrawal from EPF to check if you are eligible to make PF advance claim.
The frequency of withdrawal varies from ground to ground. As per the latest rules,
- You can make PF withdrawal for marriage not more than three times.
- Similarly, for post-matriculation education, you can claim for withdrawal of your PF fund for a maximum of three times.
- If you are purchasing a house/plot or constructing a house then you can claim for PF advance only once.
- On critical illness/ medical emergency grounds, there is no explicit limit on number of times you can raise a claim for PF withdrawal before retirement.