UPI (Unified Payments Interface) is an instant real-time payment system that facilitates inter-bank transactions nationwide. Presently, it is one of the most preferred methods for digital money transactions in India. After the shift towards digital payment methods, there are several banks that have integrated UPI in their mobile banking apps to offer customers a convenient banking experience with just a click of a button. UPI is also provided by different third-party platforms such as mobile wallets and payment aggregators active in India. Several UPI Apps for Android and iOS have been launched to cater to the digital transfer of funds.
Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM) is an app that allows you to make simple, easy, and quick payment transactions using Unified Payment Interface (UPI). This app allows you to make instant bank-to-bank payments and pay and collect money using mobile number or VPA.
BHIM App with UPI Features
Below mentioned are the features of BHIM UPI:
- Send Money: The user can send money by entering UPI ID, account number, Aadhaar, or by scanning a QR.
- Request Money:The user can request money from other UPI users by entering their UPI ID.
- Scan & Pay:You can make payments quicker by scanning the QR of the person you want to send money. Other people who want to make payments to you can scan your QR and send you money.
- Transactions:You can get your UPI passbook at your fingertips and you can check the transaction history. If you have a complaint regarding any transaction, you can report the same in the app.
- Profile:In the profile section of the BHIM UPI app, you can view your QR code and payment address created. The QR code can be downloaded and shared on various applications such as WhatsApp and email to receive payments.
- Bank Account:The user can check the details of his/her bank account at any time. It is easy to change your PIN or set a new PIN in the app. The account balance can be reviewed in the app and customers can change the bank account linked with the app by choosing the ‘Change Account’ option.
- Language:Currently, BHIM app is available in 20 languages namely Hindi, English, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Bengali, Odia, Kannada, Gujrati, Marathi, Assamese, Bengali, Haryanvi, Marwari, Konkani, Manipur, Khasi, Mizo and Urdu.
- UPI Autopay:The user can enable recurring e-mandates via any UPI-enabled app for recurring payments such as mobile bills, EMI payments, etc.
- Apply for IPO using BHIM:You can apply for any IPO by entering your BHIM UPI ID on the IPO application.
How to use BHIM to Send Money
Follow the steps mentioned below to send money through BHIM app:
- Download the BHIM android app from the Google Play Store and install it.
- Create your unique UPI id if you don’t have one already
- Tap on the send money option
- Select Beneficiary’s mobile number or UPI address or Aadhaar Number
- Enter the amount that you want to send
- Use default bank account mapped to BHIM App or use a different registered account
- Use your pre-set UPI PIN to complete the transaction and send money in seconds.
Alternately, you can also use the QR Code provided by the beneficiary to make the payment using the “Scan & Pay” option.
How to use BHIM UPI to Receive Money
To receive payment via BHIM, it is not necessary for the receiver to have a BHIM app. The only necessity for the receiver is to have a bank account. To receive money on BHIM app, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Click on the ‘Receive’ icon on the app.
- Add the payee’s mobile number or the VPA of the person you want to receive money from.
- In the next step, enter the amount, and remarks and click on submit.
- Upon submitting, the payer would get a notification, and he/she can accept or reject the payment.
How to use BHIM app to Pay at Store
As discussed earlier, the BHIM app has QR code support similar to many mobile payment platforms available in the country. Any BHIM app user can generate a unique QR code on their phone to receive payment. Two types of QR Code options are currently available QR Code for Specific Transaction and QR Code linked to the specific account.
QR Code for Specific Transaction
The QR Code can be easily generated on the BHIM UPI App to request a specific amount from another BHIM app user. The person expected to make the payment can scan this unique QR Code to see the amount payable and then make the payment easily and directly using the balance from the bank account.
The sender does not have to input the amount payable in this method because the details of the amount payable are encrypted and included in the QR Code itself. It is however mandatory for both the payee and the payer to have the UPI-based payments app installed and configured on their phones.
QR Code linked to Specific Account
The BHIM app for UPI-based payments is intended to ease the availability of cashless transactions and the inclusion of QR Code payment method with the UPI-based system of money transfer is intended to facilitate that.
A shopkeeper or any user of the BHIM android or iOS app can generate his/her own unique QR code to receive payment to their account which is linked with the app. Other digital payment users can easily scan this unique code, enter the amount payable and transfer the money instantly to the beneficiary’s account from their own.
Transaction Speed and Charges
As the BHIM money transfer app is based on the UPI system, it is ideal for sending money instantly to any account within India. In that way, the BHIM app scores over the traditional NEFT money transfer system.
There is currently no charge for sending money using the BHIM app to transfer money, however, the sender might incur IMPS/UPI charges levied by the bank in some cases.
BHIM Security Features
The BHIM app uses three level of authentication, which makes it more secure. These three levels of authentication include your device ID or mobile number, the bank account linked to the app and UPI PIN to complete the transaction.
Q. Is BHIM UPI free?
Ans. Yes, BHIM UPI is a free government-backed mobile application for online fund transfer.
Q. Is BHIM available for all handsets and operating systems?
Ans. BHIM can be currently accessed on handsets with iOS (version 13.0 and above) & Android OS (version 5.0 and above).
Q. Does BHIM app run without internet?
Ans. Yes. You can use BHIM app without the internet by dialing *99# to avail offline features of BHIM.
Q. My bank account got debited while making the bill payment via BHIM app. When will I get my money back?
Ans. As notified in BHIM, it may take up to three working days for you to get the deducted money back.
Q. What are the charges for using BHIM app?
Ans. There are no charges levied on transacting from BHIM app as UPI transactions are free of cost as of now.
Q. Is there a limit to the amount of money that can be sent using BHIM app?
Ans. You can send up to Rs. 10,00,000 from one bank account. This limit is available per bank account linked on BHIM.
Q. How many VPAs can I add to BHIM app?
Ans. You can add two VPAs as BHIM allows you to use two VPAs. First VPA is the default VPA (mobile number@upi). You can create the second VPA by going to the ‘My Profile’ page.