RuPay debit cards are very similar to other debit cards you have. They can be used to gain access to your savings account funds in over 1.45 lakh ATMs and 8.75 lakh POS terminals across the country. Payments made through RuPay debit cards are accepted on 10,000 e-commerce websites. All the major public and private sector banks in India including SBI, HDFC, Axis, etc. have started issuing these cards to all their customers seeing its growth in the Indian banking market. RuPay debit cards come with added security, i.e. high-end technology chip named EMV (Europay, MasterCard and Visa) which helps in detecting any unauthorised transactions. To enable safe and secure transactions, RuPay debit cards are enabled with RuPay PaySecure which provides an additional security for all the online transactions made through RuPay debit cards. It includes a combination of image, phrase and PIN entry to confirm your online transaction. The registered information is not shared with merchant or provider bank.
What is RuPay?
RuPay is an Indian domestic card scheme launched by National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to consolidate and integrate various payments. The aim of RuPay is to fulfil the desire of having an open loop, domestic and multilateral payments in India. Launched on 26 March 2012, RuPay cards have seen a colossal growth and have emerged as a strong competition to VISA and MasterCard. RuPay is an amalgamation of two words- Rupee and Payment and its logo is an allusion to the tricolour national flag. NPCI has partnered with Discover Financial Services (DFS) to enable RuPay card scheme gain acceptance internationally on Discover’s global payment network.
Why Choose RuPay Debit Card
- Lower transaction cost: international transactions made using debit or credit cards are usually a very costly affair, however, these can be significantly reduced by using RuPay debit cards. This is so because the transaction will be processed within the country and will be, therefore, carried out much faster as compared to transactions made via other debit cards.
- RuPay debit cards are easily available to those people who have limited or no access to banking services. RuPay debit cards can also be used in rural areas.
- These debit cards can be used for shopping, dining, booking movie tickets, booking train tickets, paying utility bills and much more.
- You get higher transaction and withdrawal limits with exclusive privileges and discount offers.
- Enjoy reduced processing fee as compared to other Visa and MasterCard debit cards.
- Get itemised bill for your transactions and spends. Also get SMS alerts for every transaction you make using your RuPay debit card.
Top Banks offering RuPay Debit Cards
HDFC Bank1. HDFC Bank RuPay Premium Debit Card
Pay for anything from dining out to vacationing abroad. Enjoy unlimited cashbacks and spoil yourself with 24*7 concierge services. This card has everything you can expect from a debit card!
- Enjoy 5% cashback on utility bill payments, avail Rs.5 cashback on every Rs.100 spent on utility bill payments using your RuPay Premium Debit Card (Cashback will be received after 90 days of transaction)
- Spend more and get rewarded, HDFC’s Hi Flier program offers an Indigo Airline Voucher worth Rs.15,000 top 25 spenders of RuPay Premium Debit Card.
- Get amazing one-time usage welcome gift vouchers from Café Coffee Day (Buy one cappuccino, get one cappuccino free, 15% off on bill above Rs.300), IRCTC (Rs.25 cashback on train and bus bookings through IRCTC) and Ola Cabs( get Rs.25 cashback on every Rs.250 recharge of Ola Money)
- Get entitled to concierge services which are available 24*7. These services include flower and gift deliver assistance, restaurant referral assistance, courier service assistance, golf reservations, car rental and sight-seeing assistance, movie ticket sourcing assistance, limousine referral and reservations assistance, insurance consultancy, investment consultancy, IT return filing assistance, restaurant referral and reservation assistance and much more. (RuPay Premium Debit Card concierge services can be availed in Hindi or English)
Axis Bank1. Axis Bank RuPay Platinum Debit Card
This debit card is designed to give you benefits on every transaction you make. Enjoy higher withdrawal and transaction limits with huge savings.
- Swipe your card for paying utility bills and avail 5% cashback on your transactions. Also get cashback on booking train tickets through IRCTC.
- Enjoy no fuel surcharge on your fuel spends across all petrol pumps in India. Also enjoy 1% cashback on every transaction made on fuel stations.
- Get complimentary airport lounge access across selected airports across India. The lounge access is restricted to only 2 visits per quarter. You can check the list of airports where you have complimentary access on Axis Bank official website.
- Get free personal accident insurance cover worth Rs.2 lakhs, Zero Card liability feature and purchase protection insurance of up to Rs.50000. (valid on products purchased using Axis Bank RuPay Platinum Debit Card, valid only till 90 days from the date of purchase)
State Bank of India1. State Bank RuPay Platinum Debit Card
This debit card is designed to target the affluent segments of the society as it offers a range of exclusive benefits and privileges. Experience hassle-free shopping, dining and travelling on your State Bank RuPay Platinum Debit Card.
- Pay your utility bills using State Bank RuPay Platinum Debit Card and enjoy 5% cashback on your transactions.
- Enjoy up to 1% fuel surcharge waiver on all your fuel spends across all fuel stations across India
- Avail complimentary airport lounge access and welcome discount vouchers from various online as well as offline merchants.
- Get personal accidental death and permanent disability insurance cover worth Rs.2 lakhs
- Enjoy 24*7 concierge services such as , golf reservations flower and gift deliver assistance, restaurant referral and reservation assistance restaurant referral assistance, courier service assistance, car rental and sight-seeing assistance, limousine referral and reservations assistance, insurance consultancy, investment consultancy, movie ticket sourcing assistance, IT return filing assistance and much more.
Bank of Baroda 1. Bank of Baroda RuPay Platinum Debit Card
Get more savings on your transactions with Bank of Baroda RuPay EMV Chip debit card. It is designed for people who prefer using their debit cards for daily expenditures.
- This card adds more security to your online transactions as it is secured with PIN and CVD2
- Enjoy higher cash withdrawal and transaction limit
- Avail exciting offers and huge benefits upon debit card activation and usage.
- Get Rs.25 cashback on train ticket booking, 5% cashback on utility bill payments, zero fuel surcharges on all your fuel spends and much more.
- For international usage, this card can be easily used at ATMs, POS terminals displaying Discover, Pulse or Diners club International logos
- Get complimentary airport lounge access at selected airports across India and complimentary insurance cover worth Rs.2 lakhs
Yes Bank1. Yes Prosperity RuPay Platinum Debit Card
This debit card caters to all your spending needs with widespread acceptance. Enjoy great features and benefits with a delightful banking experience.
- Enjoy enhanced daily cash withdrawal and daily transaction limits
- Earn complimentary reward points on every transaction you make. Accumulated reward points can be used for a wide array of exciting gifts and services.
- Get fuel surcharge cashback on fuel transactions worth Rs.300 or more. (fuel surcharge cashback is capped at Rs.75 per month)
- Use your Yes Prosperity RuPay Platinum Debit card anywhere for making transactions. Get safe and secured transactions and in cases of fraudulent or unauthorised transactions, avail fraud protection insurance worth Rs.25,000.
Fees and Charges of Top 5 RuPay Debit Cards
|RuPay Debit cards||Annual Fee||Replacement/ Reissuance charges of Debit card||Daily ATM withdrawal limit||Daily transaction limit at POS terminals (spending limit)||Insurance Cover|
|HDFC Bank RuPay Premium Debit Card||Rs. 150||Rs. 200||Rs. 25,000||Rs. 1.25 lakhs||Personal accidental death and permanent disability insurance cover worth Rs.2 lakhs|
|Axis Bank RuPay Platinum Debit Card||Rs. 200||Rs. 200||Rs. 40,000||Rs. 1 lakh||Personal accident insurance cover worth Rs.2 lakhs, Zero Card liability feature and purchase protection insurance of up to Rs.50000|
|State Bank RuPay Platinum Debit Card||Rs. 200||
|personal accidental death and permanent disability insurance cover worth Rs.2 lakhs|
|Bank of Baroda RuPay Platinum debit card||Rs. 100||Rs. 200||Rs. 50,000||Rs. 1 lakh||Personal accidental death (by air, road or rail) insurance cover worth Rs. 2 lakhs|
|Yes Prosperity RuPay Platinum Debit card||Rs. 99||Rs. 99||
|Fraud protection insurance worth Rs.25,000|
Eligibility Criteria for RuPay Debit Cards
- RuPay debit cards are issued by every public, private, regional and co-operative bank across India. You can open a savings account in any of these banks to get a RuPay debit card. Some of the examples of banks which offer RuPay debit cards are Dena Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, Bank Of Maharashtra, Punjab National Bank, IDBI Bank Ltd, HDFC Bank ,IndusInd Bank, Indian Bank, Central Bank Of India, Bank Of India, ICICI Bank, State Bank Of India, Union Bank Of India, etc. offer RuPay cards.
- Anyone who wants to get a RuPay debit card can get a no-frills savings account. Customers who have opened their accounts under PMJDY scheme (Prime Minister Jan Dhan Yojana) are also eligible to get RuPay debit cards.
- In order to get a RuPay debit card, customers need to submit their basic KYC documents such as Identity Proof and address proof to their respective bank account.
RuPay Debit Cards FAQs
A. Yes, agriculrists and farmers can get a RuPay Kisan debit card which offers special privileges and helps them in making digital transactions.
A. RuPay debit cards are valid for a period of 10 years.
A. Yes, customers who want to open a PMJDY savings account with a bank can also get a RuPay debit card by surrendering their existing debit card and requesting a new RuPay debit card.
A. Swipe your card at selected online as well as offline merchant outlets to get cashback and discount benefits:
- Get Rs.750 ecash on one way flight tickets and Rs.1500 ecash on round trip and international flight ticket booking at Yatra.com
- Avail 20% discount on swiping your card at FernsNPetals outlets
- Get flat Rs.150 off on purchase worth Rs.699 and flat Rs.350 off on purchase worth Rs.1499 at HappilyUnmarried stores
- Recharge your Ola money account with Rs.250 or more and get Rs.25 cashback
Note: above mentioned offers are subject to change
5. How are IRCTC RuPay prepaid card help in booking train tickets?
A. IRCTC RuPay Prepaid debit cards are very useful for booking railway tickets through IRCTC. The ticket amount is preloaded and the prepaid card can be recharged from anywhere anytime. Customers can either opt for a physical debit card or a virtual card. It can also be used for making payments at merchant outlets established in India.
A. CVD (Card Validation Data) is a three-digit number printed at the back of the card. It is also known as CVV number.
A. No, if your mobile number is not registered with the bank then you cannot make any online transaction. Online transactions can be completed only when you enter the one-time password (OTP) which is generated on your registered mobile number. You can contact your bank representative to get your phone number synced with your bank account. If your number has been changed then do not forget to update it.
A. Sometimes you may not receive OTP when there is poor connectivity or signal problem. If you don’t receive OTP even after waiting for a considerable time, then you should click “resend OTP”. If you still have problems in completing your transaction then immediately report this issue to your bank.