Aadhaar card is one of the most important proofs of identity and address these days. It can easily be downloaded, carried in the digital form and shared instantly for authentication/verification. Aadhaar card contains both biometric as well as the demographic details of the user making it better than any other identity proof. It contains demographic details such as name, date of birth, gender, address, etc. One can get these details updated as and when wanted. In case of women, they can get their name changed in Aadhaar card after marriage quite easily.
How can women change name in Aadhaar card after marriage?
A woman generally adds her husband’s title to her name after marriage. Even though it is not mandatory, but the addition of title to the name is quite prevalent. However, if you want to add the title to the name legally, you will have to get it updated in your document proofs as well.
Updating your name in the Aadhaar card is not a tough task. You can follow the steps mentioned below to update your name in Aadhaar card after marriage:
- Visit a nearby Aadhaar Enrolment Centre (Click here to locate one)
- Provide your Aadhaar number to the executive
- Fill the Aadhaar Enrolment Form and submit it with the required document proof to the executive
- The executive takes your biometric data for authentication and feeds the details
- The document proof is scanned and the original document is returned back
- Once the application process is complete, the executive gives an acknowledgement slip that contains the acknowledgement number
- This acknowledgement number can be used to track the status of Aadhaar update
- Finally, make the payment of a fee of Rs. 50 (including taxes)
What are the documents required for updating the name in Aadhaar card?
A woman who wants to get her name changed in Aadhaar card after marriage has to provide certain documents at the time of updating details at the Aadhaar Enrolment Centre. The applicant has to submit the Marriage Certificate containing address issued by the Government.
It is worth mentioning that the applicant has to take the original Marriage Certificate with her. The executive scans the copy and returns the original certificate. In case the applicant provides a photocopy of the original, the application may be rejected at the time of approval.
Alternatively, the applicant can furnish any of the following documents to get the name changed in Aadhaar after marriage:
- A document containing a proof of the marriage of the applicant issued originally by the Marriage Registrar
- Legally approved name change certificate
- Identity Certificate containing the photo of the applicant on a proper letterhead issued by either a Gazetted Officer or a Tehsildar
What is the fee charged for updating name in Aadhaar card after marriage?
An applicant has to pay a fee of Rs. 50 (inclusive of all taxes) to the executive once the update request is submitted and he gets the acknowledgement slip. The executive cannot ask for a fee more than the prescribed limit by the UIDAI. In case an executive does so, you can file a complaint online through the Grievance Redressal Mechanism.
In how many days will the name in Aadhaar card get updated?
It may take up to 90 days for updates to reflect in the Aadhaar card. However, you can check the details in your Aadhaar online and if updated, it will reflect in your Aadhaar card. The acknowledgement slip contains the URN (Update Request Number) which can be used to check the status of the Aadhaar card.
Will UIDAI send me the updated Aadhaar card? If not, what should I do?
UIDAI send an updated Aadhaar card to the address mentioned in the Aadhaar card through India Post. In case you do not receive the updated Aadhaar card, you can also order Reprint of Aadhaar online. A fee of Rs. 50 (taxes included) has to be paid online and the Aadhaar copy is sent to the cardholder’s address.
Can my application for name change in Aadhaar after marriage be rejected?
Yes, the application for updating the name in Aadhaar card can be rejected on grounds of incorrect or unverifiable document proof attached at the time of application. It is thus recommended that you carry the original marriage certificate at the time of updating your name in Aadhaar.