Under the Aadhaar Act of 2016, UIDAI is responsible for Aadhar enrolment and authentication, including operation and management of all stages of Aadhaar life cycle – developing the policy, procedure and system for issuing Aadhar card numbers to individuals, performing authentication as well as ensuring the security of identity information and authentication records of individuals. It is a 12-digit random number issued to the residents of India after satisfying the verification process laid down by the UIDAI. Any individual, irrespective of age and gender, who is a resident of India, may voluntarily enrol to obtain the Aadhaar number and ID. Persons willing to enrol have to first book an Aadhar card online appointment for Enrolment and then provide some key demographic and their biometric information during the enrolment process at the Aadhaar Enrolment centre.
Steps to Book an Appointment for Aadhaar Enrolment Online
The first and foremost step that a person has to do to get his Aadhar number generated is by booking an appointment at one of the Aadhaar Enrolment Centres. The applicant can also go directly to one of the Enrolment Centres but he may have to wait in long queues and face inconvenience. To prevent this, applicants should book UIDAI appointment online for Aadhar card enrolment. Follow the steps below how to fill enrolment form for Aadhaar registration:
Step 1: Visit the https://wenrol.uidai.gov.in/enrolment_request/view/enrol/home.php website.
Step 2: Go through the Conditions for Enrolment Request Portal.
Step 3: You have to now click a box against the statement that says that you have not enrolled for Aadaar earlier.
Step 4: Now enter the security code displayed on the screen.
Step 5: Select the state or union territory where you live.
Step 6: Now click on the “verify and proceed” button that states that you agree to the terms and conditions mentioned above.
Step 7: You will be taken to the
Step 8: An Enrolment Request Application form will appear on your screen.
Step 9: Fill your personal demographic details in the form. Make sure none of the detail entered in the form is wrong.
Step 10: Click on “Save and Continue” button and save the data filled in the form.
Step 11: The form with your demographic details is displayed for final review.
Step 12: Go through the form and check whether any errors are there or not. This is the last step where you can make changes.
Step 13: After reviewing the form, click on the “Submit” button.
Step 14: Yu will be asked to choose an Enrolment centre.
Step 15: The Enrolment Centre you choose is the place where your appointment for Aadhaar will be booked.
Once the process is complete, you get a pre-enrolment slip which you have to furnish when you visit the Aadhaar enrolment centre for completing the enrolment process.
How to Get Enrolment for Aadhaar Card Online
Enrolment for Aadhar is the most important step involved when a person wants an Aadhaar. In this step, he has to submit all his biometric and demographic details. The process involved is as follows:
- In order to get Aadhar, a person has to first of all book an appointment online for Aadhar enrolment.
- Then he has to visit the Aadhaar Enrolment Centre where his appointment is fixed.
- He has to fill the form mentioning all the details to the best of his knowledge.
- He then has to submit his biometric data that include fingerprints of all 10 fingers and iris scan of both eyes.
Once submitted, an Aadhaar Enrolment Number is generated that is mentioned in the acknowledgement slip provided to the applicant.
Process of Aadhaar Card Enrolment
There are three approaches for enrolment, that is:
- On the basis of Document: Attach with the form one Proof of Identity (POI) document and one valid Proof of Address (POA) document.
- On the Basis of the Head of Family: Head of Family (HOF) may introduce family members by means of documents, which establish Proof of Relationship (POR).
- On the Basis of Introducer: In the absence of a valid Proof of Identity (POI) and Proof of Address (POA) document, an introducer’s service can be leveraged. An introducer is a person appointed by the Registrar and should have a valid Aadhar number.
UIDAI and Office of the Registrar General of India (RGI) covers all the Sates and Union Territories (UTs) for enrolment. RGI is exclusively engaged in carrying out the enrolment of Aadhar in Assam and Meghalaya. Every citizen has to go to Aadhaar camp or one of the Permanent Enrolment Centres for Aadhaar enrolment to complete the process.
Appointment for Aadhaar Card Acquisition
- Enrolment into Aadhar is a walk-in process but the UIDAI also provides the facility to book an appointment for entering into the Aadhaar Program.
- This facility is useful in the sense that it saves an individual the hassle of standing in long lines and wasting time in waiting, rather this appointment facility streamlines the whole enrolment procedure bring it down to a day.
- The cherry on top is that the UIDAI has provided, on its portal, a lot of resources enabling citizens to book new aadhar card appointment without any hassle.
- Procedure for making online appointment:
- An online registration form available on the UIDAI website (https://uidai.gov.in/) needs to be filled detailing the citizens’ e-mail id, contact number, state, city, whether living in rural or urban area, the nearest enrolment centre to your place, suitable date and time you wish for the enrolment.
- Once all the details have been filled out, click on “Fix Appointment” button to confirm appointment.
- After the Aadhar appointment has been fixed one can start preparing for the registration process.
The List of Documents accepted for Aadhaar Enrolment include the following:
|S.No.||Proof of Identity||Proof of Address||Proof of Relationship||Proof of Date of Birth|
|2||PAN Card||PAN Card||—–||PAN Card|
|3||Photo ration card||Photo ration card||Photo ration card||Birth Certificate|
|4||Driving License||Driving License||—–||SSC Mark Sheet|
|5||Government Photo ID||Government Photo ID||—–||Government Photo ID|
|6||Voter ID||Voter ID|
|7||MNREGA Job Card||MNREGA Job Card||MNREGA Job Card|
|8||Arms License||Arms License||—–|
|9||Bank Photo Debit/Credit Card||Bank Statement/Post office Pass book||—–|
|10||CGHS/ECHS Photo card||CGHS/ECHS Photo card||CGHS/ECHS Photo card|
|12||Kissan Photo Card||—–||—–|
|13||Pensioner Photo Card||—–||Pensioner Photo Card|
|14||Freedom Fighter Photo ID||—–||—–|
|15||Disability Photo ID with Address Card||Disability Photo ID with Address Card||—–|
|16||Certificate of Photo ID with Address MP or PLA or from Gazette Officer or Tehsildar or Village Panchayat head on letterhead||Certificate of Photo ID with Address MP or PLA or from Gazette Officer or Tehsildar or Village Panchayat head on letterhead||—–||Certificate of Birth issued by MP or PLA or from Gazette Officer or Tehsildar or Village Panchayat head on letterhead|
|18||—–||Housing Society Maintenance Bill||—–|
|20||—–||Property Tax receipt||—–|
|21||—–||Income Tax Assessment Order||—–|
|22||—-||Vehicle Registration Certificate||—-|
|23||—–||Rent or Lease Agreement||—–|
|24||—–||Registered Agreement of Sale||—–|
|25||—–||Caste and Domicile Certificate||—–|
|26||—–||Passport of Spouse||—–|
|27||—–||Passport of Parents||—–|
|28||—–||Marriage Certificate with Address||Marriage Certificate with Address|
Uses of Aadhaar Card
Aadhaar is a Unique Identification Number (UID) that is to be issued to all residents of India that contains their biometric and demographic information. It is issued by the statutory authority known as Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). Initially, UIDAI was functioning under the then Planning Commission (now NITI Aayog) vide a Gazette Notification dated 28thJanuary, 2009.Later on, on 12th of September 2015, the Government revised the Allocation of Business Rules to attach the UIDAI to the Department of Electronics & Information Technology (DeitY) of the then Ministry of Communications and Information Technology.
On 12th July, 2016, the Government of India again revised the rules making the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) into a statutory authority established under the provisions of the Aadhar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016 – “Aadhar Act 2016”, under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY).
- Aadhar can be used to get subsidy on LPG Gas from Government of India directly into the linked Bank Account.
- Aadhaar card is the only document accepted under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna (PMJDY) Scheme for opening a bank account.
- An Aadhar Card holder can get his/her passport made in 10 days, this is possible because under this scheme police verification is done at a later date as opposed to earlier rule when the verification was required to be done before issuance of the passport.
Earlier, SEBI accepted Aadhar only as identity proof for investing in the stock market but now SEBI has started accepting Aadhaar as both identity and address proof.