Atul opened an HDFC Savings Account and received his very first Credit Card. Since he has never owned a credit card, he is overwhelmed by the numerous processes associated with card usage. How to activate an HDFC credit card? How to set credit card PIN? How to pay the HDFC credit card bill? How are the reward points accrued and how to redeem them? Perhaps, a quick HDFC credit card usage guide would have been a great help for Atul.
If you are also using an HDFC credit card for the first time like Atul, here is a walkthrough of all the common processes related to your HDFC credit card.
Before we understand more about using your HDFC card, here are a few general terms and conditions you must know about a credit card.
Credit Card Terms and Conditions You should be aware of
Basically, you can borrow money (up to the given credit limit) using your credit card and pay it back as and when due. Your credit card can be used to make bill payments, shopping, travel bookings, and many more transactions. When you use your credit card for a certain transaction, the amount gets deducted from your credit limit and is added back to it when you pay the amount back.
Here are some terms associated with the credit card that you should know:
- Interest: When you fail to pay your credit card bill in full by the due date, certain interest is levied on outstanding credit card bills, compounded daily. Also, any new transactions you make on your card (while having unpaid dues) will carry interest right from the day of the transaction. Thereby, it is very important to make your credit card bill payments on time and avoid such interest charges.
- Credit Limit: Every credit card comes with a pre-set credit limit beyond which you cannot spend. Transactions beyond your credit limit may get rejected by the credit card issuing company or carry hefty over-limit charges. With time, banks usually offer increased limit to the users based on their usage history
- Billing Cycle: Credit cards have a one-month billing cycle It is the period between two billing dates. Your credit card statement will be generated on the last day of your billing cycle. Both debits and credits during this time will be included on the credit card statement. Any transactions made after statement generation will be included in the next billing cycle.
- Due Date: Though a credit card statement is generated on the last day of your billing cycle, the due date is usually 15-20 days after the statement date. For example, if your statement date is the 20th of every month, your due date may be the 5th of the next month. This gives you 15 additional interest-free days.
To learn more about credit card billing cycle, click here.
Now that you have a fair idea about how a credit card works, let us help you with your new HDFC credit card.
How to activate HDFC Credit Card?
You need to activate your HDFC card before it can be used for transactions that require a PIN. HDFC Credit Cards can be activated online via internet banking or through an ATM.
To activate your credit card via NetBanking, you need to login to the HDFC Net Banking portal with the help of your User-ID and password. After that, go to the ‘Credit Cards’ section and select the ‘Register New Card’ option. If you do not have a savings account with HDFC Bank, you can still register your card and use the HDFC credit card net banking feature.
If you want to activate your credit card from an ATM, you will need to call HDFC Phone Banking number and select the ‘Generate Credit Card PIN’ option. After that, you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number. Now you can head to the nearest HDFC ATM, select the ‘Create new ATM PIN using OTP’ option and enter the OTP received. Create a New PIN and then your card will be ready for use.
Related Article: How To Activate HDFC Credit Card?
How to make payments using your HDFC credit card?
Your HDFC Credit Card can be used for offline as well as offline transactions. After you have made your purchases, you can choose a Credit Card as your payment method (online) or give your credit card to be swiped at the POS machine (offline)
How to complete an online transaction with HDFC Credit Card?
When you use your HDFC Credit Card for a transaction online, you will be required to provide your card details such as your credit card number, expiration date, CVV and the name on your card. After you have entered all the details, you will be required to validate the transaction using an OTP sent to your registered mobile number. The transaction can be completed successfully after entering the OTP correctly
How to Check HDFC Credit Card Balance?
HDFC Credit Cardholders can check their card balance via mobile app, SMS banking, net-banking, ATM, or by contacting the customer service number. You can log-in to HDFC MobileBanking or net-banking and go to the ‘Cards’ section to view your credit card balance.
To check HDFC Credit Card balance via SMS, you can send CCBAL<space>XXXX (last 4-digits of your credit card) to 5676712. You can also dial the HDFC customer care helpline number (Local/STD Code) 6160 6161 to know your card balance.
To view all the ways to check HDFC Credit Card balance, click here.
How to Redeem HDFC Credit Card Reward Points?
HDFC Credit Card reward points can be redeemed online via net-banking and/or offline by submitting the reward redemption form.
Via HDFC Net-banking
You can log in to HDFC Netbanking by using your customer ID and password. Now, go to the ‘Credit Cards’ section and choose ‘Redeem Reward Points’. After that, you can choose your points range and item category to find the rewards catalogue. Agree to the terms and conditions to redeem points.
Via Reward Redemption Form
Download the reward redemption form, fill it and mail at the customer care address of HDFC Bank.
How to get HDFC credit card statement?
At the end of a billing cycle, you will receive an official statement containing a proper record of all the transactions carried out via HDFC Credit Card on your registered email ID. You can get access to your HDFC Credit Card Statement via NetBanking, Mobile Application, or by visiting an HDFC branch.
To view your Credit Card statement via NetBanking, you need to register your credit card with HDFC net banking. Once you have registered, you can log in to HDFC NetBanking Portal and navigate to the ‘View Credit Card Statement’ option under the ‘Enquire’ tab on the menu
You can also view and download your HDFC credit card statement via mobile banking application. For that, you can log-in to your mobile app and select the ‘Download Billed Statement’ option under the ‘Cards’ option
Besides, you can also request for a copy of the HDFC credit card statement by directly visiting the HDFC Bank branch.
For detailed steps regarding HDFC Credit Card Statement, Click Here.
How to pay the HDFC credit card bill?
- For HDFC Bank account-holders:
HDFC Bank account-holders can make credit card payments via:
- NetBanking: Register with the HDFC Bank NetBanking Service and make credit card payments online.
- Standing Instructions: You can set up the auto-pay feature for HDFC credit card bill payment on your HDFC savings/current account. Each month, the amount you have selected (total due or minimum due) will be deducted from your account to pay off the bill.
- Mobile Application: The process is the same as net banking. Login to the HDFC Mobile App, go to the ‘Cards’ section and pay the bill directly using your account balance.
- For All Customers:
Bill Desk: If you do not have an HDFC bank savings/current account, you can use other bank’s net banking service to pay your HDFC credit card bills. This can be done via Bill Desk. Visit this link, enter the card details and proceed with payment via the selected method.
DropBox Option: You can make your HDFC Credit Card bill payments by writing a cheque for the respective amount and dropping the same at the bank’s drop-box.
For more options to pay the HDFC credit card bill, click here.
How to block HDFC Credit Card?
In case you have lost your credit card or noticed an unauthorized transaction, you should immediately block your card. HDFC Credit Cards can be blocked via net-banking, mobile banking, or by visiting the bank branch.
You can log in to your HDFC net banking account and select the ‘credit cards’ option. After that, select the ‘Credit Card Hotlisting’ option and choose your reason for hotlisting.
You can also dial the HDFC Customer Care number and proceed with the credit card hotlisting option. For Ahmedabad / Bangalore / Chennai / Delhi & NCR / Hyderabad / Kolkata / Mumbai / Pune, Dial 61606161. For Chandigarh / Cochin / Indore / Jaipur / Lucknow, Dial- 6160616
You can also visit your nearest HDFC bank branch and apply for Credit Card hotlisting.
To know more about HDFC Credit Card hotlisting, click here.
How to close HDFC Credit Card?
Cardholders can choose to cancel or close their existing credit card. Banks allow credit cards to be closed at the discretion of the customer.
HDFC Bank round-the-clock helpline programs help to close consumer credit card accounts anytime they choose. Simply call the city-specific number and ask to cancel your credit card account at any time. You can also download the form to close the HDFC credit card, fill it in and email it to the address below.
HDFC Bank Cards Division,
P.O.Box No.8654, Thiruvanmiyur P.O.
Chennai – 600041
Read more: How to close HDFC Bank Credit Card?