With all the processes related to the Employee Provident Fund being online, UAN or Universal Account Number has become the only key to operate the online EPF portal. The introduction of UAN has made processes like PF withdrawal, checking PF balance, application for loan against PF, etc. very easy and feasible for individuals.
Moreover, the UAN remains unchanged and portable throughout the life of an employee. Even upon switching jobs, employees shall have member IDs, which are ultimately linked to the same UAN of the employee. Given the importance, you cannot afford to lose your UAN and password. However, if you still forget or misplace your UAN Password, here is how to regenerate it using the steps mentioned below.
How to Reset UAN Password
Follow the below steps for EPFO UAN password reset:
- Visit the EPF online portal here
- On the homepage, click on ‘Forgot Password’ on the right side
- On the next page that opens next, enter your UAN and Captcha and click on ‘Submit’
- Now, enter your name, date of birth and gender and click on ‘Verify’
- Enter the captcha code that you see on your screen, your Aadhaar number, give your consent for Aadhaar-based authentication and click on ‘Verify’
- You will now receive an update on your mobile number registered with Aadhaar. Enter the OTP on the next page and click on ‘Verify’
- Once your number is verified, you can create a new password. You will be asked to enter the same new password twice for confirmation. Click on ‘Submit’ once you are done
- Now, Log in to the portal once again using the new password
How to Change your UAN Password after Logging In to the Portal?
Your UAN password holds the access to a lot of your private information. Hence, you are advised to keep it private to yourself. If in case, you wish to change your UAN password for safety reasons or else, follow the given steps for UAN password reset-
- Visit the EPF portal here
- On the login page, enter your UAN, Password and Captcha, and Click on ‘Sign In’
- On the next page, click on ‘Account’ on the top menu bar
- In the tab that opens, click on ‘Change Password’
- Enter your EPF UAN Login old password first and then enter the new password that you wish to keep in the following two sections
- Give your consent for Aadhaar-based authentication and click on ‘Get Aadhaar OTP’
- You will receive a notification on the top of the screen about successful update of your password
Things to Keep In Mind When Setting Up your UAN Password
Here are a few key things that you must consider at the time of UAN password reset:
- You should be registered with EPFO and UAN must be activated before you can set up or reset your UAN password
- Your UAN password should have a minimum of 7 characters, while the maximum length can be 20 characters
- UAN password should have at least one Capital, one Small letter, special character, minimum 4 alphabets and at least 2 digits
Suggested read: EPFO Member e-Sewa Portal – UAN Login, Register, Reset Password
Get FREE Credit Report from Multiple Credit Bureaus Check Now
Q. If I am logging into UAN member e-sewa portal for the first time, what password should I use?
You need to activate your UAN, before you can do UAN member portal login. Once you do that, a password will be sent to your registered mobile number which should be used for the first login. It may also be used later but it is advisable to change the password after the initial login.
Q. Is UAN and passbook password the same?
Yes, the same password is used for both the UAN portal and the passbook portal.
Q. Can UAN password reset be done without OTP?
No, UAN password reset cannot be done without receiving an OTP on your registered mobile number.