The National Pension System (NPS), earlier known as the New Pension Scheme, was initially introduced for the benefit of government employees eligible for government pension. In its current form, NPS can be availed by all resident Indians, however while this pension scheme is mandatory for Government employees, for others, subscribing to this pension plan is optional. The following are some key details regarding the registration process of NPS for the general public under the all citizens NPS plan.
NPS Registration Process
If you are new to the National Pension System, you can complete the NPS registration process online. The online NPS registration process can be accessed from the NSDL website.
Alternatively, you can fill out the NPS registration form and submit it at the nearest NPS Point-of-Presence (PoP) which includes most major banks in India. The physical NPS registration form can also be obtained from the nearby NPS PoP.
|⇓ Download complete list of NPS PoP||⇓ Download the NPS Registration Form Online|
After filling out the form, you can attach supporting documents along with cheque/DD for initial contribution and submit it with the nearby NPS PoP. The other option is to send the filled out form with applicable documents to the NSDL office address:
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
1st Floor, Times Tower,
Kamala Mills Compound,
Senapati Bapat Marg,
Lower Parel, Mumbai – 400 013
Tel. (022) 2499 3499
Fax (022) 2495 2594/ 2499 497
How to Fill NPS Registration Form
Once you have downloaded the NPS registration form, you have to print it out and fill out the applicable fields.
Some of the key details that you need to provide when filling out the NPS registration form are as follows:
1) Select the type of NPS Model you are applying for. Government employees must select NPS (Central Government) or NPS (State Government). Corporate Employees of organizations which have enrolled for NPS have to select NPS (Corporate). All other citizens including private company employees not covered by the NPS (Corporate) plan have to choose the NPS (All Citizens) Model.
2) Fill in your Personal Details including your name, father’s name, mother’s name, date of birth, country of birth, city of birth, gender, marital status, name of spouse (if applicable) and residential status (Indian resident or NRI).
3) Enter a proof of identity number such as passport number, and passport expiry date; voter ID card; PAN Card; Driving License number and Expiry Date; NREGA Job Card, Aadhar Card number or any other proof of ID.
4) Enter in your address details. You can mention your permanent and correspondence address. As address proof, you can attach passport/driving license/voter ID/NREGA Card/Ration Card/Registered Sale or Lease Agreement/Latest Gas Bill/Latest Telephone Bill/Latest Electricity Bill. You can also use your Aadhaar Card to authenticate your address. Also enter your contact details such as mobile number (mandatory) and email ID.
5) Enter additional details such as occupation, income range per annum, educational qualifications and whether you are a politically exposed person (PEP).
6) Enter your bank account details including account number, bank name, branch name, branch address, IFSC Code, MICR Code and PIN Code.
7) Add your nomination details including the name, middle name and surname of your nominee. You also need to enter relationship with nominee and date of birth of nominee if nominee is a minor. If the nominee is a minor, enter the name, middle name and surname of the nominee’s guardian.
8) Tick the indicated boxes to state whether you also wish to subscribe to NPS Tier 2 (open an NPS Tier 2 account) and whether you want your PRAN card to be printed in Hindi
9) Select your pension fund manager. There are 8 pension fund managers in the NPS System. They are SBI Pension Fund, UTI Retirement Solutions, LIC Pension Fund, Reliance Capital Pension Fund, HDFC Pension Fund, ICICI Prudential Pension Fund, Aditya Birla Sun Life Pension Fund and Kotak Pension Fund. You can only select one pension fund manager. However if you are in NPS (Central Goverment) or NPS (State Government), you do not have the option of choosing a single pension fund manager from the list.
10) Select your investment option – active choice or auto choice. Active choice allows you to decide the split between the four NPS asset classes – Equity, Corporate Bonds, Government Bonds and Alternative Assets yourself. The upper limit for equities is 75% up to the age of 50 and for alternative assets is 5%. Auto Choice decides the split between NPS asset classes according to your age. You can read more about this here. If you select Auto Choice, you have to indicate your risk appetite – conservative, moderate or aggressive. Based on this answer, the NPS system will split your money between the three asset classes.
11) Specify whether you are a US person – this includes all tax residents of the US as well as US citizens who may be tax resident abroad. If you are not a US person, but you are tax resident of a country outside India, please provide your address in that foreign country, your tax identification number in that country and documentary evidence for the same.
NSDL NPS Login Portal
If you have already registered for NPS via the online route, you should keep your PRAN (Permanent Retirement Account Number) handy and use it to create an IPIN (Internet Personal Identification Number). The following are the key steps to log into your PRAN account through the NSDL NPS Login Portal.
Step1. Log on to the NSDL eNPS home page and click on the “Login with PRAN/IPIN”.
Step2. Subsequently you will get redirected to the NPS login page where you can use PRAN and IPIN to sign into your NPS account.
Karvy NPS Login
While NSDL is perhaps the most commonly used portal for online NPS users, you can also sign up for the National Pension System through the Karvy NPS Portal. Just click on the “Login for Existing Subscriber” link to log into your NPS account.
Details required to log into the Karvy NPS account include PRAN and online NPS account password.
First Time Log in Into NPS Account
If you are logging into your Karvy NPS Account for the first time, you can set a new password by clicking the generate password link as shown below:
Subsequently, you will get directed to the following page. On this page, you will have to provide PRAN and Date of Birth along with capcha to generate an OTP sent to your registered mobile number. A new password can be set after confirming the “generate new NPS account password” request using OTP.
Once a password has been set, you can log into your Karvy NPS account online using the PRAN and new password.
NPS Login through Bank Website
The online banking interface of many banks current provide the option of NPS login after you have logged into the respective internet banking portal. At present, these links direct to either the Karvy NPS Portal or the NSDL NPS Portal depending on which provider the bank is registered with. Hence, there is currently no separate bank-wise NPS Login portal for use by subscribers of the National Pension System.
NPS Login Password Reset
In case you have forgotten your NPS login Password, you have to follow a procedure similar to the one for generating a new login password for your NPS account. Once you are on the Generate/Reset Password page (shown below), you can use your PRAN and Date of Birth to initiate the process of NPS Login Password Reset. Do ensure that you have your NPS registered mobile number handy because you will receive an OTP (one time password) via text on your phone to reset your NPS password online.
In case you are seeking assistance or have queries regarding your NSDL NPS account or Karvy NPS account, you can call up the NPS Helpline Numbers and contact number provided below:
|Office Location/Type||NPS Helpline Numbers|
|Mumbai (Head office)||Telephone – (022)2499-3499|
Fax – (022) 2499-4974 / (022) 2495-2594
|NPS Grievance Redressal Officer (Level 1)||(022) 2499-3499|
|NPS Chief Grievance Redressal Officer (Level 2)||(022) 2495-2594|
|NPS Exit Grievance Escalation (Level 1)||(022) 2499-4274|
|NPS Exit Grievance Escalation (Level 2)||(022) 2499-4974|
|Kolkata (NPS Branch Office)||Telephone – (033) 2290-1396 / (033) 2281-4461|
Fax – (033) 2289-1945
|Chennai (NPS Branch Office)||Telephone –( 044)2814-3917/( 044)2814-3918|
Fax – (044) 2814-4593
|New Delhi (NPS Branch Office)||Telephone-(011) 23705418 / (011) 2335 3817|
Fax- (011) 2335 3756
|Ahmedabad (NPS Branch Office)||Telephone – (079)2646-1376|
Fax – (079) 2646 1375
NSDL NPS App
In case you want to check you NPS account balance on the go, you have the option of using the NSDL NPS App which is free to download for Android as well as iOS devices. The following are links to download the NPS by NSDL e-Gov mobile app: