EPF balance is the amount available in your EPF account. It constitutes of the money that is deducted from your salary each month plus the employer’s contribution. Keeping a constant track of your EPF balance will help you plan your future in a better manner. Gone are the days when people had to wait for letter from the HR department of their companies to provide them the statement carrying their EPF balance. However, now with India getting digitalized, the process to check your EPF balance has become relatively simpler.
Employees who want to know their EPF balance are just required to visit the official website of the Employee Provident Fund Organization and fill in the essential details online after which they will get an SMS on their registered mobile number stating the EPF balance. The process is fairly simple and effective by all means. On top of that, the Employee Provident Fund Organization has recently introduced three more ways to check EPF balance online.
For Android users, a new mobile app named m-seva has also been made available. This will help users know their EPF balance and status online with a few simple clicks. There is also an SMS and missed call service for those who have limited access to the internet. That’s not all, for added convenience of customers; SMS service is not only available in Hindi and English but also in several other regional languages including Bengali, Punjabi, Malayalam, Telegu, Tamil, Marathi and Kannada to name a few.
Easy ways check EPF balance and status online
- Check EPF balance online via EPF account number: To check your EPF balance using your PF account number, all you need to do is to log in or register on the EPFO portal www.epfoservices.in and check your EPF balance by providing your PF account number, state and the city you reside in. Ideally, there are two ways to check the EPF balance via EPF account number – with or without using the UAN (Universal Account Number). You may choose any of the options as per your convenience
- Check EPF balance online through Missed call: Checking your PF balance through a missed call is yet another simple and effective way. Here all you need to do is give a missed call on 011-22901406 from your registered mobile number soon after you’ll receive your balance status via SMS. To avail benefits from this facility, individuals will require an active UAN and their KYC details which would include their registered mobile number linked to their UAN account.
- Check EPF balance online via SMS: To find out the EPF balance via SMS, individuals must keep their KYC documents linked with his/her UAN account handy. After which all they have to do is SMS their details in the following format – EPFOHO UAN HIN – to 7738299899. Note that, here, HIN stands for Hindi – if Hindi is the language of preference. Once the message has been sent, individual will receive a message with the details of his/her PF balance.
- Check EPF balance online using EPF mobile app: To find out your EPF balance with the help of m-seva – the EPF mobile app, individuals must download the m-seva app first; then register on the website by mentioning their PF account number and KYC (Know-Your-Customer) details. Once done with the registration process, they must follow the below steps to check EPF balance using the EPF mobile app:
- After downloading the m-seva app and registering on it
- Go to “member” section on the homepage of the app
- Select the balance/passbook option thereafter and enter your UAN
- Now input your registered mobile number. If the mobile number does not match, you can also enter other details such as your current mobile number or Aadhaar card.
- Click on the “EPF passbook” option if you want to view PF account statement of previous months
- Once all details are provided, the screen will display your EPF balance and the status online
- Check EPF balance online via UAN: To check your EPF balance online using your UAN, you are required to log in to http://uanmembers.epfoservices.in/.
Key things to note:-
- Employees must always use registered mobile number to login to their PF account.
- Note that one PF account can be operated with just one mobile number that is registered with the account initially.
- Individuals must submit more than one or two identity proofs at the time of PF account registration. This way there can use any of the identity proof to access their account in future.
- It is not necessary to withdraw the PF balance every time you switch job. You can get the balance transferred to the other account as well that is held by you.
- Note that the PF balance transfer is only possible if the EPF account is older than 6 months. Also to facilitate the transfer, the account details such as your name, father’s name, date of birth, gender, etc. have to be same in both accounts.
- The Employee Provident Fund Organization has also come up with the online submission system to allow people to easily transfer their funds from one PF account to the other. For withdrawal of their PF fund, individuals can either apply from their current or previous employer.
Employees can transfer all PF funds from the old account to the new one. A partial transfer of PF funds is not possible under any circumstance.