PAN or Permanent Account Number is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric code issued to each and every entity carrying out financial transactions in India. Be it an individual or an organisation, PAN is mandatory for all tax-paying entities. One can apply for a PAN through NSDL website or UTIITSL portal for PAN. PAN hardcopy is can be received on the address mentioned in the Form 49A within 45 days of application. One can, however, download the ePAN online and use it as a valid document everywhere.
What is ePAN?
ePAN is a virtual PAN card that contains the card holder’s PAN details. It can be downloaded either from the NSDL portal or the UTIITSL portal. It contains the card holder’s PAN and can be used for all e-verification that require PAN card to be furnished.
Following details are mentioned in an ePAN card:
- Permanent Account Number
- Father’s Name
- Date of Birth
- QR Code
It is worth mentioning that it is illegal to possess more than one PAN card. A person found in possession of more than one PAN card is liable to be imposed a fine of up to Rs. 10,000.
Steps to Download ePAN Online
ePAN can be downloaded online from NSDL and UTIITSL portal. Those applicants who had applied for PAN through the NSDL portal in the past can download ePAN from the same. If they want to download the ePAN from UTIITSL portal, they will have to apply for PAN card reprint through the UTIITSL portal first otherwise they will not be able to download the ePAN. The same goes with the applicants of UTIITSL portal.
ePAN can be downloaded free of cost by all new applicants or applicants who have applied for a modification in the PAN data within one month of the issuance of PAN. UTIITSL charges an additional fee of Rs. 8.26 (including taxes) for every download request. This payment can be done online and the applicant can download the ePAN whenever he needs it.
How to Download ePAN from NSDL Portal?
There are two options for downloading the ePAN through NSDL portal:
- Download ePAN using the Acknowledgement Number (https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/MPanLogin.html)
- Download ePAN using PAN (https://www.myutiitsl.com/PAN_ONLINE/ePANCard)
NSDL does not allow users to download ePAN after one month of application, be it for a new PAN card or corrections/modifications in PAN card.
Applicants can opt out from the delivery of the PAN card hardcopy and apply only for ePAN at the time of filling the form, both new and correction. In such cases, it is mandatory to quote the email address where the ePAN will be delivered.
How to Download ePAN by Acknowledgement Number?
One can download ePAN from the NSDL portal by following the steps mentioned below:
- Visit NSDL PAN portal to download PAN card by Acknowledgement number
- Enter the Acknowledgement number issued after submitting the PAN card application and click on “Generate OTP”
- Enter the OTP and click on the “Validate” button to download your ePAN
- Click on “Download PDF” to download the ePAN instantly
How to Download ePAN by PAN and Date of Birth?
One can download the ePAN card by mentioning the PAN and date of birth as well. Following steps should be followed for the same:
- Visit the ePAN downloading portal
- Enter details required in the form such as PAN, Date of Birth, GSTN (optional)
- Now mention the security code and click on “Submit” to download the ePAN card for free
How to Download ePAN from UTIITSL Portal?
UTIITSL is an alternative portal from where applicants can apply for new PAN cards or making corrections in the existing PAN. Applicants who have applied through UTIITSL can download the ePAN online. If the ePAN is downloaded within 30 days of issuance of the PAN card, no additional fee is charged.
One can download the ePAN from the UTIITSL portal by following the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the ePAN downloading portal of UTIITSL
- Enter the required details such as PAN, date of birth/incorporation, GSTIN (optional) and security code and submit the application
- Check whether the mobile number and e-mail ID mentioned against the PAN is correct and enter the security code and tick the declaration
- The user gets the option to send the OTP to either mobile number, email ID or both
- An OTP is sent to the selected source
- Enter the OTP and click on submit
- In case the PAN issuance period is more than one month, the user will be directed to make an online payment of Rs. 8.26
- On successful processing, the user will be able to download the ePAN online.
FAQs on Downloading ePAN Card
Q. Is there any PAN card download app?
A. No, there is no PAN card download app. One has to either visit NSDL website or UTI Infrastructure Technology And Services Limited website to download ePAN.
Q. What is the fee charged for downloading ePAN card?
A. An applicant can download the ePAN card for free for the first month of issuance of the new/modified PAN card. After that, UTIITSL applicants will have to pay a fee of Rs. 8.26 for each ePAN card download.
Q. Is ePAN a valid document?
A. ePAN is equally valid as a regular PAN card. Both are the same documents and are just issued through different media.