Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin (PMAYG) or pradhan mantri gramin awaas yojana is a centrally sponsored rural housing scheme introduced on April 1, 2016 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Rural housing program in India started with IAY (Indira Awaas Yojana) in 1996. Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awaas Yojana (PMGAY) is formulated in line with the Government’s commitment to provide “Housing for All by 2022” in all rural areas (iay.nic.in). Under PMAY-Rural, the government provides monetary assistance for the construction of pucca houses featuring all basic amenities, such as power supply and sanitation. All families who do not have a house or are currently living in kutcha and dilapidated houses in rural areas of India are eligible to apply for the PMAY-G. The scheme will be implemented in rural areas throughout India, except Delhi and Chandigarh.
Discover More About PMAY Scheme
|All About PMAY||PMAY Delhi|
|PMAY Urban||PMAY List|
|How to Apply for PMAY||PMAY Application Status|
|How to Avail PMAY Subsidy||PMAY Eligibility|
Background of PMAY Gramin
Public housing programme in India began immediately after the independence with the rehabilitation of refugees. Since then, for government, the programme has been an important instrument of poverty alleviation. Housing program for rural area started with Indira Awas Yojana (IAY). It was launched in 1985 by the former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi with an aim to build houses for the Below Poverty Line (BPL) population living in rural areas across India. Even after its launch, the program was started in January, 1996 as an independent programme aimed at providing houses to the homeless. The program addressed the housing concerns of rural areas, however certain drawbacks identified during the performance audit by the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) limited its impact and the outcomes. To address the drawbacks of the program and fulfil the government’s commitment to provide “Housing for All” (HFA) by 2022, IAY was refurbished into Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana (PMAYG) and introduced in April, 2016.
Objective of PMAY-Gramin
The primary aim of PMAY G is to provide pucca houses with basic amenities to all families without houses or living in kutcha or dilapidated houses in rural areas in India by 2022. The immediate objective of the scheme is to provide pucca houses to 1 crore families living in kutcha/dilapidated houses in three years from 2016-17 to 2018-19.
Features of Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana Scheme
The salient features of PMGAY are:
- The scheme will cover 1 crore families living in kutcha houses
- The minimum size of the house will be 25 sq. m. with all basic amenities such as power supply and hygienic cooking space
- The unit assistance provided under the program is Rs. 1.20 lakh for houses to be constructed in plains and Rs. 1.30 lakh for houses to be constructed in hilly states, difficult areas and Integrated Action Plan (IAP) districts
- Under the scheme, the beneficiary is entitled to 90/95 person days of unskilled labour from MGNREGS (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme)
- The cost of building houses will be shared between Central and State Governments in the ratio 60:40 for houses constructed in plain areas and 90:10 for houses constructed in North Eastern and three Himalayan States (Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Jammu and Kashmir)
- The scheme in collaboration with other Government schemes, such as Swachh Bharat Mission – Gramin (SBM-G), will ensure the provision of basic amenities such as toilet, electricity, water, clean and efficient cooking fuel, treatment of social and liquid waste, etc.
- More focus will be given on the quality house construction by ensuring the use of local materials, appropriate design and trained masons
- The beneficiaries will be selected using housing deprivation parameters in the Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC), 2011 data, which is to be verified by the Gram Sabhas
- Beneficiaries will also be given technical assistance in the construction of the house
- To ensure better quality of construction, setting up of a National Technical Support Agency (NTSA) at the national level is envisioned
- The implementation and monitoring of the project will be carried out through an end-to-end e-Governance model – AwaasSoft (https://awaassoft.nic.in/netiay/Reports/FTOUtilizedFund.aspx) and AwaasApp (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rural.housing&hl=en_IN). It will also be monitored through community participation (Social Audit), Central and State Government officials, Members of Parliament (DISHA Committee), National Level Monitors, etc.
- A willing beneficiary will be facilitated to get loan of up to Rs. 70,000 from lending institutions
- All payments to the beneficiary will be electronically transferred to their bank or post office accounts that are linked to Aadhaar with consent
Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana Eligibility Criteria
To ensure that the assistance reaches the deserving families and that the selection of beneficiaries is objective and verifiable, the beneficiaries for the scheme will be selected on the basis of SECC data, which will be then verified by the Gram Sabhas.
As far as the prioritisation within the entire data of eligible PMAY (G) beneficiaries is concerned, it will be assigned based on the factors displaying housing deprivation in each category i.e. SC/ST, Minorities and Others.
Moving away from the Below Poverty Line (BPL) list, some of the other beneficiaries who are eligible to avail the benefits of PMAY-G include:
- The family must not have a pucca house anywhere throughout the country
- Families living in zero, one or two room houses with kutcha wall and roof
- Scheduled Castes / Scheduled Tribes (SC/ST)
- Freed bonded labourers
- Minorities and non-SC/ST rural households in the BPL category
- Widows and next-of-kin to defence personnel/paramilitary forces killed in action (irrespective of their income criteria), ex-servicemen and retire Scheme
- The family must not own a pucca house
- The family applying for a loan under this scheme must include a husband, wife and child/children that are unmarried
- The applicant and his family must fulfil the income criteria mandated by this scheme and has to belong to either the EWS (Economically Weaker Section), LIG (Lower Income Group), or BPL (Below Poverty Line) category
- The applicant income of the applicant’s family should be between Rs. 3 lakh and Rs. 6 lakh p.a.
- Any loan amount above Rs. 6 lakh, the interest rate on the additional amount will be as per market rate
Identification of Beneficiaries under PMAYG
To ensure complete objectivity and transparency, the concerned authorities will identify eligible beneficiaries under PMAY-G on the basis of the latest Socio Economic and Caste Census, 2011 (SECC 2011). The census lists economically and socially backward sections that are categorized as beneficiaries under the PM Rural Awaas Yojana. The Gram Sabha identifies beneficiaries who have already availed the assistance under the PM Rural Awas Yojana or those who were disqualified for other reasons. The final list of beneficiaries eligible for PMAY-G is then published annually by the Gram Sabha through a participatory process. Once the name is shortlisted in the list released by the Gram Sabha, he/she shall be eligible for the financial assistance under PMAY-G scheme. To avail the assistance, the applicant must belong to EWS or LIG or BPL (Below the Poverty Line) category, and the annual income of the applicant’s family should be between Rs.3 lakh to Rs. 6 lakhs.
Beneficiary List for PMAYG/IAY
Beneficiaries under PMAY-G scheme are chosen by the government through a transparent and verifiable process that involves the use of data from the Socio Economic Caste Census of 2011 (SECC). The process of choosing the PMAY G beneficiaries is as below:
- A list of beneficiaries will made using SECC 2011 data
- In the list, the beneficiaries will be prioritized
- Next, the list will be sent to Gram Sabhas for verification
- As per the verification, a final PMAY G beneficiary list will be created and published
- Lastly, the annual lists will be created
Documents Required for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin
The list of documents required to avail the benefits of pmay-g are:
- Duly filled PMAY G Application form
- Proof of Identity (such as Aadhaar card, Voter ID, etc.)
- Ethnic group certificate
- Proof of Income
- Income Certificate, if the income is lower than the taxable limit
- Proof of Address
- Salary certificate
- 6 months’ bank account statement
- IT returns
- Form 16
- T assessment order
- Letter on nature if business if applicant is involved in business
- Financial statement in case of business
- Plan of construction
- Certificate claiming the cost of construction
- Official valuer’s certificate
- An affidavit stating the neither the applicant nor his family members own a pucca house
- Receipt of any advance payment made to the builder
- Construction contract with developer or builder
- NOC from a housing society
- Letter pointing out the allocation of property
How to Apply for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin
There is no way to apply for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin. The beneficiaries are chosen from the list prepared by the Gram Sabha which is based on the Census 2011 (SECC 2011).
How to Check Your Name in the PMAY Gramin List
To check your name in the PMAY list, follow these steps:
- Visit the official PMAYG site (https://rhreporting.nic.in/netiay/Benificiary.aspx).
- Click the ‘Stakeholders’ menu in the option bar
- Click the ‘Beneficiary’ option
- Enter your number and click the ‘Search’ button
You can check your name without registration number also, through advance search.
PMAY-G Home Loan Interest Subsidy Scheme
Beneficiaries can avail home loans under PMAY-G at subsidised interest rates. The lending institution will lend up to Rs. 6 lakh at the subsidised rate of 6% p.a. Any amount above Rs. 6 lakh will incur interest at the market value.
Read Also: Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme
Top 5 Banks for Home Loan
PMAY-G Home Loan EMI Calculator
Beneficiaries availing home loan under PMAY-G can know their loan EMI beforehand with the help of Paisabazaar’s home loan EMI calculator. To get the results, users need to provide a few basic details of the home loan – loan amount, interest rate and loan tenure. After entering the required details, the result will appear. Click Here to calculate your home loan EMI.