The PMAY Urban – Housing for All scheme or PMAY-HFA Urban (https://pmaymis.gov.in), aims to provide a place to reside for millions of urban poor. Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban/Shehri (PMAY-U) is an active government scheme launched by PM Narendra Modi. It was introduced with a vision to provide “Housing for All by 2022”. PMAY Urban caters to the issue of housing shortage among urban poor by constructing houses with basic amenities such as water supply, drainage, sanitation and power supply.
The PMAY HFA Urban with all its components came into effect from the date 17.06.2015 and will be implemented till the date 31.03.2022.
PMAY Urban Features/Highlights
- The benefits offered under the PMAY-U scheme can be availed for the construction of a new house or enhancement of an existing one
- Women applicants are given preference in this scheme
- The States/Union Territories (UTs) hold the authority to decide a cut-off date for eligibility of PMAY beneficiaries
- Aadhaar Card/ Bank Account Number/ Permanent Account Number (PAN Card) (if available) is required from PMAY beneficiaries
- Houses are constructed using eco-friendly materials and technology
- The houses will be considered completed only after the requisite infrastructure including power supply, water supply and drainage/sanitation is provided
- The progress on the houses will be tracked through geo-tagged photographs of houses under the BLC component of PMAY HFA Urban
Get Home Loan at the Low Interest Rate from Top Lenders Apply Now
PMAY HFA (Urban) Scheme Guidelines – 2022
PMAY Urban Eligibility
The eligibility criteria to apply for PMAY HFA Urban are:
- PMAY scheme offers benefits as per the applicants’ household income or total family income. The applicant must fall in one of the following income groups:
|Income Groups||Eligible Household Income (Annual)|
|Economically Weaker Section (EWS)||Up to Rs. 3 lakh|
|Low Income Group (LIG)||Rs. 3 lakh to Rs. 6 lakh|
|Middle Income Group – I (MIG – I)||Rs. 6 lakh to Rs.12 lakh|
|Middle Income Group – II (MIG – II)||Rs. 12 lakh to Rs.18 lakh|
Applicants falling under the EWS income category are eligible for complete assistance under the PMAY scheme. But the applicants belonging to LIG and MIG – I & II categories are only eligible for the Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) under PMAY.
Note: To be recognised as a LIG or EWS beneficiary, applicants need to submit an affidavit as an income proof to the authority.
- The beneficiary family should not own a pucca house in its own name or in the name of any family member in any part of India in order to be eligible to receive central assistance.
Who is a PMAY beneficiary?
- The houses to be acquired through the scheme should preferably be in the name of a female head of the family. The house can also be in the joint ownership constituting a male family head and his wife.
Components of PMAY Urban
PMAY Urban scheme addresses the housing requirements of urban poor including slum dwellers through the following four programme verticals or components:
- In-situ Slum Redevelopment (ISSR): The aim of In-situ Slum Redevelopment is to bring slum dwellers into the formal urban settlement by leveraging the locked potential of lands under slums. In participation of private developers, the government plans to provide houses to all eligible families or individuals. Slum rehabilitation grant of an average of Rs. 1 lakh per house would be admissible for all houses built for eligible slum dwellers.
- Affordable Housing through Credit Linked Subsidy (CLSS): Under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (PMAY-CLSS) (Urban), the government offers interest subsidy of up to Rs. 2.67 lakh on home loans. The benefits under PMAY-CLSS are given to beneficiaries as per their total household income. Read More
Offerings of PMAY-CLSS in a Nutshell
|Annual Household Income (Rs.)||Up to 3 lakh||3 – 6 lakh||6 – 12 lakh||12 – 18 lakh|
|Interest Rate Subsidy||6.50% p.a.||6.50% p.a.||4.00% p.a.||3.00% p.a.|
|Home Loan Tenure (Max.)||20 years||20 years||20 years||20 years|
|Max. Loan Amt. to Qualify for Subsidy||Rs. 6 lakh||Rs. 6 lakh||Rs. 9 lakh||Rs. 12 lakh|
|Max. Dwelling Unit Carpet Area||30 sq. m||60 sq. m||160 sq. m||200 sq. m|
|Max. Interest Subsidy Amount||Rs. 2.67 lakh||Rs. 2.67 lakh||Rs. 2.35 lakh||Rs. 2.30 lakh|
|Discount Rate for NPV Calc. of Interest Subsidy||9.00%||9.00%||9.00%||9.00%|
- Affordable Housing in Partnership (AHP): Under this PMAY component, EWS houses will be built under partnership with private sector, public sector and other parastatal agencies. In support of the mission, the government will provide fund assistance of Rs. 1.5 lakh per EWS house which are being built under different partnerships by States/UTs/Cities. An affordable housing project can include houses for different income categories but it will be eligible for central assistance only if 35% of the houses in the project are for EWS category and a single project has at least 250 houses.
- Subsidy for Beneficiary-led Construction (BLC) or Enhancement: This PMAY component offers assistance to beneficiary families belonging to EWS category for a new house construction or enhancement of an existing one. The component also supports those beneficiaries who are unable to take advantage of any other component of the mission. Such beneficiary families can avail central assistance of Rs. 1.5 lakh and should be a part of HFA PoA (Plan of Action). To avail the benefit under this component, a minimum addition of 9.0 sq. m. of carpet area to the existing house will be required. And anyone who wishes to avail the central assistance should approach the Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) with the documents related to the availability of land owned by them. Such beneficiaries may be residing either in slums or outside the slums. Beneficiaries in slums which are not being redeveloped can be covered under this component if beneficiaries have a ‘Kuccha’ or ‘Semi Pucca’ house. Central assistance will be released to the bank account of beneficiaries identified in projects through States/UTs as per recommendations of State/UT.
In the spirit of cooperative federalism, all States and Union Territories have the flexibility to choose the best option among the four mission verticals to meet the housing demand of their states/territories.
Scope of PMAY(Urban) – HFA
- The mission of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Housing for All (Urban) is to provide central assistance to implementing agencies throughout states and union territories for providing houses to all beneficiaries by 2022.
- The PMAY HFA Urban scheme with all its components has been in effect from the 17.06.2015 and will be implemented till 31.03.2022. It will be implemented as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS) except for the component of Credit Linked Subsidy which will be implemented as a Central Sector Scheme.
- All 4041 statutory towns as per Census 2011 and the towns notified subsequently by the States/UTs are eligible for coverage under the mission. Currently, PMAY-U has approximately 4,331 towns and cities under this scheme, which also includes urban development authority, special area development authority, industrial development authority, development area, notified planning and every other authority which is responsible for urban planning and regulations.
- All statutory towns as per Census 2011 with focus on 500 Class I cities would be covered in 3 phases:
- Phase 1: (April 2015 – March 2017) – covers development work from start to finish in 100 cities
- Phase 2: (April 2017 – March 2019) – covering development work in additional 200 cities
- Phase 3: (April 2019 – March 2022) – covering the final phase of development work in other remaining cities
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation (MoHUPA) will have the flexibility to include additional cities in earlier phases if there is a resource backed demand from States/UTs.
As per data from the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), as of July 1, 2019, the progress of PMAY-U in all States/UTs is given as below:
- Sanctioned houses under PMAY-U HFA: 83.63 lakh
- Completed houses under PMAY-U HFA: 26.08 lakh
- Occupied houses under PMAY-UHFA: 23.97 lakh
According to the same data, the total amount to be invested is approximately Rs. 4,95,838 crore out of which Rs. 51,414.5 crore of funds have already been released by the government.
- The mission supports the construction of houses having a carpet area of up to 30 sq. m. with basic civic infrastructure such as water supply, sanitation, drainage and electricity. The slum and redevelopment projects and affordable housing projects in partnership will also have the basic civic infrastructure. The States/UTs will have the flexibility to determine the size of the house and other facilities at the State level in consultation with the Ministry but without any additional fund assistance from the Centre.
- The design and construction of houses built under the mission should meet the structural safety requirements against earthquake, flood, cyclone, landslides, etc. and also conform to National Building Code (NBC) and other relevant Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) codes. Also, all houses that are built or expanded mandatorily need to have toilet facility.
- The houses constructed/acquired with central assistance under the mission should be in the name of the female head of the family or in the joint name of the male head of the household and his wife. Only in cases when there is no adult female member in the family, the house can be in the name of male member of the household.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Subsidy Calculator
Individuals who wish to know the subsidy amount they will get under the PMAY CLSS scheme can use the PMAY Subsidy Calculator. To use the calculator follow these steps:
Step 1: Visit the http://pmaymis.gov.in/EMI_Calculator.aspx page
Step 2: Fill out the following details:
- Total loan amount
- Rate of interest
- Total loan period
Step 3: Click the ‘Calculate’ button once the details are given. The subsidy amount that you will get on your loan amount will appear.
How to Apply for PMAY Scheme?
People can apply for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Housing for All (Urban) in 2 ways – online and offline. Application forms are available online so that more people can benefit from this urban housing scheme. The urban poor can also go to a Common Service Centre (CSC) in their city and apply for this scheme in person. People can check their name on Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) List.
PMAY (U) Toll-free Helpline Number
If you have any queries or complaints related to your Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (PMAY-CLSS), you can contact National Housing Bank (NHB) or Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO) on their respective toll-free numbers, which are given as below:
1800-11-6163 (Urban, HUDCO)
1800-11-3388 (Urban, NHB)
1800-11-3377 (Urban, NHB)
Those facing any issues related to the application process can contact the above toll free numbers according to the locations.
Read Also: How to Check the PMAY Status?
PMAY HFA (U) FAQs
Q1. What are the benefits offered under PMAY CLSS?
Under PMAY CLSS, the government offers an upfront interest subsidy at 6.5% for both Economically Weaker Section (EWS) and Low Income Group (LIG) categories for loans taken up to Rs. 6 lakh. For Middle Income Group-I (MIG-I), beneficiaries get an interest subsidy at 4% on home loans up to Rs. 9 lakh. For beneficiaries falling in the Middle Income Group-II (MIG-II), interest subsidy at 3% is offered on loans up to Rs. 12 lakh
Q2. Under PMAY CLSS, is it mandatory for a woman to own the property?
Yes, for applicants falling under the Lower Income Group (LIG) and Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) categories, woman house ownership is mandatory.
Q3. Are there further subsidies or discounts offered under the PMAY scheme?
No, there are no other additional benefits (other than the ones already specified under the scheme) given under the PMAY scheme.
Q4. In PMAY CLSS, what do you mean by the ‘carpet area’?
The area enclosed within the walls of a house is known as the carpet area. This area does not include the thickness of the walls.
Q5. What do you mean by FAR in PMAY?
Let us take a look at the equation to quickly understand what FAR means:
Floor Area Ratio = Total covered area on all the floors x 100 divided by Plot area.
However, some cities or towns may have varied definitions. The definitions that have been promoted by the region will be considered under such conditions to remove any sort of confusion.
Q6. What is DBT?
People refer to Direct Benefit Transfer as DBT. This means that the beneficiaries will receive the funds they are expected to receive, in the form of installments, under the scheme, directly in their bank accounts, instead of having to go through random offices and banks.
Q7. How long will the PMAY Housing for All Urban project last?
The PMAY project is supposed to last until March 31, 2022. However, till this date the government will ensure that all the regions in India have PMAY benefits. The construction and ultimately the beneficiaries moving in may take longer.
Q8. What is a Central Nodal Agency in PMAY?
Central Nodal Agencies (CNAs) are simply the direct concern offices identified by the Housing Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs or Government to support and carry out the activities and functions concerning PMAY Credit linked subsidy.
Q9. What are Implementing Agencies and how are they different from Central Nodal Agencies?
Implementing agencies comprise of any Urban Local Bodies, Housing Boards, Development Authorities, etc. Unlike Central Nodal Agencies, the Implementing Agencies are picked by the State Government or SLSMC for the purpose of implementing missions under PMAY.
Q10. Can individuals without Aadhaar Card apply for PMAY scheme?
To apply for PMAY online, Aadhaar Card is mandatory. Your Aadhaar number also comes in use when you want to check your PMAY application status. Therefore, if you do not have Aadhaar number, get it at the earliest from the nearest Common Service Centre (CSC).
Q11. Are there any charges to apply for PMAY scheme?
Yes, when applying for PMAY scheme offline you will have to pay an application fee of Rs. 25 + GST at the nearest CSC. But there are no charges applicable when you apply for the scheme online.
PMAY Urban News
January 27, 2020: PMAY U sanctions more than 1 crore houses in 4 years
The Joint Secretary & Mission Director (HFA), Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India, Amrit Abhijat at the 13th Edition Annual Real Estate Summit 2020 said that the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) has sanctioned more than one crore houses in a span of four years.