PMAY or Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is a government scheme launched in compliance with ‘Housing for All (HFA)’ mission. Introduced in June 2015, the PMAY scheme aims to boost affordable housing segment in India. The objective of PM awas yojana is to provide over 2 crore pucca houses with water connection, toilet facilities and 24*7 power supply to eligible families/ beneficiaries by 31 March 2022.
- The last date to apply for PMAY CLSS under MIG (I & II) Income Groups is 31 March 2021
- The last date to apply for PMAY CLSS under EWS & LIG Income Groups is 31 March 2022
|Table of Contents:|
PMAY Benefits & Features
- Grant of Rs. 1 lakh per house by the Government of India for slum rehabilitation
- Central assistance of Rs. 1.5 lakh per dwelling unit for affordable housing in partnership and beneficiary-led individual house construction/enhancement
- Interest subsidy of up to 6.5% on house loans
- Interest subsidy for PMAY home loans is applicable to a maximum loan tenure of 20 years or the loan tenure availed by the borrower, whichever is lower
- Encourages women to be homeowners or co-applicant.
- Compulsory ground floor accommodation for senior citizens and differently-abled
- Mandatory use of sustainable and eco-friendly materials for house construction
- Quality of house/flat will be as per the guidelines of National Building Code (NBC) and National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)
- Approval on building designs is compulsory before construction
- No limit on home loan amount or cost of the property
Apply for Home Loan at the Lowest Interest Rate Apply Now
- A beneficiary family includes husband, wife, unmarried sons and/or daughters
- An adult earning member of the family irrespective of his/her marital status can be treated as a separate household, provided he/she does not own a pucca house in his/her name in India
- Adult earning member of the family with a pucca house of built-up area less than 21 sq. m. may be included for enhancement of existing dwelling units up to 30 sq. m. In case the enhancement is not possible due to lack of land availability/space or any other reason, he/she may get a house under PMAY (U) elsewhere
- Families with annual income of up to Rs. 3 lakh – Economically Weaker Section (EWS)
- Families with annual income between Rs. 3 lakh and Rs. 6 lakh – Low Income Group (LIG)
- Families within annual income between Rs. 6 lakh and Rs. 12 lakh – Middle Income Group I
- Families with annual income between Rs. 12 lakh and Rs. 18 lakh – Middle Income Group II
- Women falling under EWS and LIG income groups
- Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), and Other Backward Class (OBC)
The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana 2019-2020 Eligibility Criteria are as below:
- Any member of the beneficiary family should not own a pucca house in India
- Beneficiary family should not have availed any housing scheme from the Government of India/State Government
- Beneficiary family should not have availed PMAY subsidy from any of the Primary Lending Institutions (PLIs)
- Home loan borrowers who availed the PMAY subsidy but during the loan tenure switched to another lender under home loan balance transfer cannot claim the benefit again
- For a married couple, individually or in joint ownership will be eligible for a single subsidy
- Beneficiary families under the MIG income group need to furnish their Aadhaar numbers to avail the benefit
- Beneficiaries under the EWS category will get complete assistance under the scheme, while those falling under the LIG and MIG income groups will only be eligible for Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) under PMAY 2019 – 2020
- The property on which the CLSS subsidy is to be availed must have basic amenities such as water, sanitation, sewerage, roads, electricity, etc. The property should also be located at Statutory Towns as per Census 2011 and towns notified subsequently, including Notified Planning/ Development Areas
PMAY Types – PMAY G & PMAY U
PM Awas Yojana caters to both urban and rural population of India. And on this basis, the Pradhan mantra awas yojna is classified into 2 parts:
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin/Rural (PMAY-G)
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban (PMAY-U)
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin (PMAY-G)
Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana Gramin (PMAY-G) aims to fulfil the housing requirements of the rural poor. PMAYG earlier known as IAY (Indira Awaas Yojana). Its objective is to provide financial assistance and/or pucca houses along with all the basic amenities, such as power supply, sanitation, etc. to families without houses or living in kutcha and dilapidated houses in rural areas of India, except Delhi and Chandigarh.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban (PMAY-U)
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban aims to fulfil the housing requirements of the urban poor. There are about 4,331 towns and cities under this scheme. The scheme will progress in 3 phases:
- Phase 1: PMAY phase 1 covers 100 cities in select States/UTs between April 2015 and March 2017
- Phase 2: PMAY phase 2 covers 200 additional cities between April 2017 and March 2019
- Phase 3: PMAY phase 2 covers the remaining cities between April 2019 and March 2022
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation will have the flexibility to include additional cities in earlier phases if there is a resource backed demand from states and union territories.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban (PMAY-U) is nearing its target of meeting the ‘Housing for All’ aim in urban areas. The scheme, which has a deadline of 2022, has sanctioned over 88 lakh houses till now. A total of 2.99 lakh houses have been sanctioned as part of 865 proposals from 10 states. With the approval of above fresh proposals, cumulative sanctions of houses under PMAY-U is now 88.16 lakh against a validated demand of 1.12 crore.
Compare & Apply for Housing Loans from Top Lenders View Offers
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna Components
PMAY 2020 scheme is addressing the housing requirement of urban poor including slum dwellers through following programme verticals:
- Promotion of Affordable Housing for weaker section of the society through Credit Linked Subsidy (CLSS): The CLSS PMAY component provides subsidies on home loan interest rates to those eligible for this scheme.
The PMAY subsidy rate, subsidy amount, maximum loan amount, and other details have been mentioned below for LIG, EWS and MIG:
|Particulars||EWS||LIG||MIG I||MIG II|
|Household Income||Up to Rs. 3 Lakh||Rs. 3 – 6 Lakh||Rs. 6 – 12 Lakh||Rs. 12 – 18 Lakh|
|Eligible PMAY Loan Amount for Subsidy Calculation||Up to 6 Lakh||Up to 6 Lakh||Up to 9 Lakh||Up to 12 Lakh|
|Maximum Subsidy||Rs. 2,67,280||Rs. 2,67,280||Rs. 2,35,068||Rs. 2,30,156|
|Maximum Loan Tenure||20 yrs.||20 yrs.||20 yrs.||20 yrs.|
|Maximum carpet area||30 sq. m.||60 sq. m.||160 sq. m.||200 sq. m.|
|Discount Rate for NPV Calculation of Interest Subsidy||9.00%||9.00%||9.00%||9.00%|
|Application of scheme on existing home loans sanctioned on or after||17.06.2015||17.06.2015||01.01.2017||01.01.2017|
|Woman Ownership/Co-ownership||Mandatory for a new house. Not mandatory for an existing property||Not Mandatory||Not Mandatory|
- In-situ rehabilitation of slum dwellers using land resource by collaborating with private organisations: This vertical aims to leverage the locked potential of lands under slums. It also aims to bring slum dwellers into the formal urban settlement by providing houses to eligible families or individuals. The slum rehabilitation grant of an average of Rs. 1 lakh per house would be admissible for all houses built for eligible slum dwellers.
- Affordable Housing in Partnership with Public & Private Sectors: This PMAY component provides financial assistance to EWS families to the tune of Rs. 1.5 lakh on behalf of the Central Government. State and UTs can partner with their agencies or private sector to develop such housing projects.
- Subsidy for beneficiary-led individual house construction/enhancement: This component of PM Awas Yojana caters to the housing requirements of EWS families who cannot avail the benefits under the other three components. To such beneficiaries, the Central Government provides financial assistance of up to Rs. 1.5 lakh, which the beneficiary can use for house construction or improvement of an existing one.
Process to Apply for PMAY
PMAY Application Process for New Applicants
- To apply online for PMAY, visit “http://pmaymis.gov.in/” – PM Awas Yojana official website
- Select “Benefit under other 3 components” option under “Citizen Assessment” menu
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and name as mentioned on your Aadhaar card
- On successful verification of your Aadhaar number, you will be redirected to the PMAY application page
- Enter the required details like your personal information, income details and bank account details
- Tick on the “I am aware of…” checkbox
- Enter Captcha and click the “Save” button
- Once you click the “Save” option, a system generated application number will appear, which you can save for future reference
- Download and print the filled-in PMAY application form
- Submit the form at your nearest Common Service Centers (CSC) or financial institution/banks along with the supporting documents
Read More: PMAY Online Application Form
PMAY Application Process for Existing Home Loan Borrowers
Home loan borrowers who are eligible for PMAY subsidy but have not availed it while taking a home loan can submit their request. The bank will review your request and will submit the claim to the National Housing Bank (NHB). After data validation and other checks, NHB will disburse the amount to the lender who will credit the same to the respective home loan account of the borrower and adjust in the loan accordingly.
Steps to Download PMAY Application Form
You can download your PMAY application form online by following these steps:
- Visit the official PMAY website at pmaymis.gov.in.
- On the homepage, select on the “Print Assessment” option from the “Citizen Assessment” menu
- Access the application form by either by providing your:
- Name, Father’s Name & Mobile No
- Assessment ID (For Citizen Data Only)
- Enter details as per your selection and print the assessment form
How to Edit Your PMAY Application Details
To edit the details of your PMAY application form, follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
- Enter the PMAY application reference number and your Aadhaar details
- Click on the “Edit” option and then you will be allowed edit your PMAY application form details
How to Check Your PMAY Status
You can check the current status of your PMAY application online at the official website of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – https://pmaymis.gov.in. Track the PMAY application status online either through your:
- Assessment ID, or
- Name, Father’s Name and Mobile Number
Check your eligibility and get best home loan offer View Offers
List of Banks/NBFCs/HFCs Linked to Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Scheme
|Top PMAY Banks/NBFCs/HFCs List|
|SBI||HDFC||Bank of Baroda|
|ICICI Bank Ltd.||Axis Bank Ltd.||Karnataka Bank Ltd.|
|Karur Vysya Bank Ltd.||LIC Housing Finance||Bajaj Housing Finance Limited|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank||Yes Bank||Fullerton|
PMAY Toll Free Helpline Numbers
|Central Nodal Agency (CNA)||E-mail ID||Toll Free Numbers|
Are there any charges applicable at the time of PMAY application?
Yes, a nominal fee of Rs. 25 + GST is to be paid at the time of form submission. Potential beneficiaries applying for the scheme online do not need to pay.
Can I apply for PMAY scheme without Aadhaar number?
Aadhaar number is mandatory to apply online. Individuals can apply for Aadhaar card from their nearest CSC. Click here to locate your nearest CSC.
Who are the Central Nodal Agencies (CNAs) and what do they do?
HUDCO, NHB and SBI are the CNAs to channelize the credit linked subsidy scheme to the Primary Lending Institutions. They will also monitor the progress of the PMAY CLSS scheme. The Ministry may also add other financial institutions as a CNA in future.
Who are the Primary Lending Institutions which will provide the PMAY interest subsidy?
Any financial lending institution such as Scheduled Commercial Banks (SCB), Housing Finance Companies (HFCs), Regional Rural Banks (RRBs), State Cooperative Banks, Urban Cooperative Banks (Scheduled as well as Non-scheduled), Small Finance Banks (as approved by the Reserve Bank of India) and Non-Banking Financial Company-Micro Finance Institutions (NBFC-MFIs) (as registered with Reserve Bank of India) which have signed MoUs with any one of the CNAs.
How will I get PMAY CLSS interest subsidy?
CNAs disburse the interest subsidy to PLIs on the basis of the disbursements PLIs make to the beneficiaries. PLIs further disburse the interest subsidy borrowers’ home loan account upfront by deducting the subsidy amount from the principal loan amount. Resultantly, the borrower pays EMI on the remaining principal loan amount. This helps in reducing the total interest payable by the borrower.
Can CLSS beneficiary get home loan for 30 years?
Yes, PMAY CLSS beneficiary can get home loan for 30 years, provided they meet all other due diligence norms of the concerned lender. But the PMAY interest subsidy will be restricted on home loans up to the limits allowed for the respective income categories for up to 20 years of tenure.
What happens when the subsidy is disbursed but due to some reason, the house construction is stalled?
If the house construction is not finished within 36 months from the date of release of the first disbursement, the subsidy will be recovered by the PLI and refunded to the CNA.
Is PMAY CLSS applicable for properties in the rural areas?
No, the PMAY CLSS is not applicable for properties in the rural areas.
How can I calculate my PMAY CLSS subsidy?
You can calculate your CLSS interest subsidy amount using the subsidy calculator available at CLSS Awas Portal (CLAP) – https://pmayuclap.gov.in/
Am I eligible for PMAY CLSS if I own a plot but do not own a house?
If you own a plot but do not have a house, then you are eligible for the interest subsidy under CLSS for home loan availed for construction on that plot.
Whom should I address my PMAY CLSS related grievance?
In case of grievance related to the PMAY CLSS scheme, approach the concerned PLI through the PLI’s grievance redressal system.