In order to facilitate the submission of Income Tax Returns (ITR) seamlessly, the Income Tax Department has allowed taxpayers to verify their tax returns online using aadhaar OTP. Alternatively, you can e-Verify your income tax return by generating and submitting an Electronic Verification Code (EVC).
ITR Verification Methods
Earlier, you had to send the ITR V (Income Tax Return Verification) form to CPC Bengaluru in order to verify your credentials. But now you can verify the returns filed online by just using the aadhaar OTP sent to your mobile number. Apart from aadhaar OTP, you can also verify your returns using internet banking, bank account number as well as the demat account number. However, for e-verification of your ITR using Aadhaar OTP, your aadhaar card must be linked to your PAN card.
Link PAN Card to Aadhaar Card
If you have not linked your Aadhaar card with PAN then please follow the following steps to link your Aadhaar card with your PAN card.
- Log on to the Income Tax Department’s e-filing website.
- As soon as you log in, a popup appears asking you to link your Aadhar number with your e-filing account. If you don’t see the popup, go to the blue tab named ‘Profile Settings’ on the top bar and click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button.
- Please check your PAN card details and then enter your Aadhaar card number. Now, click on the ‘Save’ button at the bottom of the page to generate an Aadhaar OTP. After OTP verification, you have successfully linked your Aadhaar with the PAN card.
Steps to e-verify your ITR using the Aadhaar OTP
- Submit your ITR on the Income Tax e-filing website.
- After a successful submission, you will be asked to select the mode of verification for the uploaded ITR. You need to select one among the following options:
- I already have an EVC to e-verify my return.
- I do not have an EVC and would like to generate EVC to e-Verify my return.
- I would like to generate Aadhaar OTP to e-Verify my return.
- I would like to send ITR-V/I would like to e-verify Later.
- Select the “Aadhaar OTP” option in case you want to verify your ITR using your aadhaar number. An OTP will be generated and sent to your registered mobile number as per Aadhaar records.
- Please enter the OTP when prompted by the e-Filing Website and click on ‘Submit’ option to complete e-verification of your ITR using Aadhaar OTP.
You will then receive a message that reads ‘Return successfully e-Verified. Download the Acknowledgement.’ The same acknowledgement will be automatically sent to your registered email id. At the bottom of the acknowledgement, you will find the words “ITR V No need to send to CPC Bengaluru”.
Congratulations, You have now successfully e-verified your income tax return.