Filing of income tax returns has two parts – upload of return and verification. Once you upload your income tax return, the same has to be verified. This can be done either physically or electronically using one of the methods mentioned below. Note that the due date for filing returns for individuals is 31st July.
Steps to Verify Your Tax Return
1) Physical Verification
You need to print a physical copy of the ITR-V (Income Tax Verification Form) which is generated when your return is uploaded on the Income Tax Department website. You have to sign and send the ITR-V to the Income Tax Centralised Processing Center (CPC) in Bengaluru. This signed ITR-V has to reach the CPC within 120 days (4 months) of filing the return, for the return to be valid. You don’t have to send any supporting documents to the CPC. The address of the CPC is CPC, Post Box No – 1, Electronic City Post Office, Bangalore – 560100, Karnataka, India’.
2) E-verify your return through Net-Banking
You can e-verify your return by logging into net banking. You will be directed to your e-filing account through the website of the Income Tax Department. Once you are logged in, you can e-verify your return.
3) E-Verify your return through a Bank ATM
This is a two step procedure:
- You have to swipe your debit card at a bank ATM. It will give you the option of ‘Generate PIN for e-Filing.’ Once you click on this, you will get an Electronic Verification Code (EVC) on your mobile number.
- Log in to the Income Tax Department e-filing website and select the option ‘e-verify using Bank ATM.’ You will be asked to enter the EVC – enter the EVC on the e-filing website.
4) E-verify using Bank Account Number
Go to the Income Tax e-filing website and validate your bank account number. Once you have done this, click on the ‘verify with bank account number’ option. An OTP will be sent to the mobile number registered with your bank. Enter the OTP on the e-filing website.
5) E-verify using your Demat Account Number
(i) Go to the Income Tax efiling website
(ii) Validate your demat account number. Once you have done this,
(iii) click on the ‘verify with demat account number’ option.
(iv) An OTP will be sent to the mobile number registered with your demat account.
(v) Enter the OTP on the e-filing website.
6) E-verify using Aadhaar OTP
In order to do this, your Aadhaar number must be linked to your PAN number. Once you have done this, go to the Income Tax e-filing website and click on ‘e-Verify using Aadhaar OTP.’ The OTP will be sent to the mobile number linked to your Aadhaar Card. Enter the OTP on the efiling website.