The Ministry of Civil Aviation, in Addendum to AVSEC Circular No. 15/2017 dated 27th October 2018, has directed that government documents/id proofs issued in the DigiLocker app such as Aadhaar, PAN and driving license shall be accepted as valid identity proof for entering the airport premises at the time of departure. This move by the government will make airports easily accessible in a paperless manner. After this move, it has become easy for flyers to show issued documents in DigiLocker and enter airports.
Get Free Credit Report with monthly updates. Check Now
The circular states “Upon request from the National e-Governance Division, Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology, the issue regarding accepting Aadhaar, PAN card issued by IT Department and Driving License listed at serial number (ii), (iii) and (iv) respectively of the AVSEC Circular No. 15/2017 as valid Photo Identity document when presented from DigiLocker account of the departing air passengers has been examined and it has been decided that if a passenger shows the Aadhaar/PAN Card issued by IT Deptt./Driving License from the “Issued Documents” section by logging in to his/her DigiLocker account, the same shall be considered as valid Photo Identity document. It is, however, clarified that the documents uploaded by the user himself/herself (i.e. in the “Uploaded Documents” section) shall not be considered as a valid Photo Identity document.”
Indian Railways has also started accepting Aadhaar card, PAN card and driving license as valid identity proofs if these documents are present in the “Issued Documents” section of the DigiLocker.
Key Takeaways from the Circular
- You can show Issued Documents in DigiLocker and enter Airports without any hassle
- You can get Aadhaar, PAN and Driving License issued from concerned departments
- You also have the facility to upload these documents but these will not be considered as valid ID proofs
- These documents can be showed in DigiLocker app as well as on the DigiLocker website
- You don’t have to carry documents with you to airports
- You will have to carry the passport for international travel