A mobile has become an indispensable part of our life today. We happen to depend on mobile not just for day-to-day affairs, but also for businesses. In such a scenario, we need to be very careful with our mobile because its loss or damage can lead to big problems. Thus, it makes sense to go for mobile insurance.
What is Mobile Insurance?
When a mobile is lost or damaged, there is a chance of data being lost or stolen, creating problems of different levels, including financial damage. Today, people spend a lot in purchasing mobiles and any issue with the phone can create a hole in the pocket. To overcome such issues, companies are now offering mobile insurance in India. These policies provide coverage for all types of phones, including smartphones.
What Mobile Insurance Covers?
A mobile insurance offers coverage for various kinds of damage to the mobile. Let us look at the coverage offered by mobile insurance:
- In case of theft or robbery of the smartphone
- Replacing or repairing the lost or damaged phone within 48 hours of reporting the incident
- Protection for accidental damage
- Coverage for liquid damage of the mobile
- Doorstep pick-up and drop facility of the mobile phone for repairs
- Cashless process for the coverage
- Technical malfunctions like problems with ear jacks, charging ports and touch-screens are also covered by some companies
- Some insurance companies also offer No Claim Bonus to the policyholder at the time of policy renewal if no claims are reported during the policy term
Mobile Insurance Claim Process
Below are some of the steps to be followed either by the policyholder of the mobile insurance policy or the insurance company that has provided the cover in the event of claims settlement. However, the process may vary from one company to another. The steps are:
- One must immediately report any loss or damage to the mobile phone to the insurance company offering the coverage either on a toll-free number or any other suggested customer support channels mentioned by the company
- Customers must also submit the Claim Form as requested by the insurance company. This can be done either online or by visiting the nearest branch office of the insurance company
- In case of theft or robbery, the customer must file an FIR with the nearest police station or submit the complaint and obtain a copy of it. In case of loss or damage to the mobile phone due to household fire, a report from the fire station is also required by some insurance companies
- Some insurance companies may require the photographs of the damaged mobile phone to be sent to the claims assessor
- Based on the policy document issued by the insurance company to the individual for his/her mobile insurance and internal investigation process of the insurance company, the claims would be settled in either way i.e. replacement or repair of the insured mobile phone
- Some private insurance companies settle the claim bills by directly making a payment to third-party mobile repair centers authorized by the insurance company for repairs
- Some insurance companies only allow one claim settlement per policy term whereas some offer more than one claims in the policy term year. However, one must always check the terms of the mobile insurance policy he/she has purchased
- The policyholders may contact the insurance company representatives during the claim process for any support either by visiting the branch office or contacting them via online channels provided by the insurance company
Documents Required for Claim Process
The customer needs to submit the required documents to the insurance company for initiating the claim process for the insured mobile phone. Some of these documents may include an original invoice of the phone, along with the serial number of the phone and the insurance policy number. In case of a missing phone, you need to file an FIR and submit its copy while filing a claim.
Cases Where You Can’t Claim Mobile Insurance (Exclusions)
Certain issues are not covered under mobile insurance. These come under exclusions. These exclusions usually vary from one insurance company to another. Let’s review some:
- Mysterious loss of the mobile phone that cannot be convincingly explained by the policyholder under insurance cover
- Any deliberate attempt to damage the phone or malicious intent, leading to a loss or damage to the mobile phone is also not included
- Any damage to the mobile phone due to change in climatic conditions
- If the mobile device is overloaded or experimented under abnormal conditions, leading to any damage
- Any pre-existing malfunctions or defects prior to the commencement of the mobile insurance policy
Companies Offering Mobile Insurance in India
The trend of mobile insurance is now picking up pace in India as well. Some of the companies offering mobile insurance in India are:
Advantages of Buying Mobile Insurance
Some of the benefits of mobile insurance offered by national and private insurance companies in India are:
- Mobile Insurance helps the mobile owners to protect themselves from huge repair costs in case of any damage to the mobile phone due to any mishap, such as dropping and collision
- One can be relaxed if the mobile is damaged due to spillage of any liquid items like water, tea/coffee, or soft drinks, etc.
- Policyholders can enjoy a range of superior customer services
- Hassle-free and cashless claim saves time and energy
- Components like touch-screens, charging point, erroneous earphone jacks, and any damage to the internal and external components of the device are also covered
- Various rider options or additional benefits like transit insurance, worldwide coverage, etc. can increase the value of the insurance
Q1. Can a mobile phone purchased outside India be covered under a mobile insurance policy in India?
Yes, some private insurance companies in India provide insurance cover to the mobile phones that are purchased outside India and thereby providing worldwide coverage.
Q2. Does any insurance provider help in retrieving the lost data from the mobile phone after it is damaged?
Some private mobile apps have partnered with private insurance companies in India that automatically backs up the phone data on cloud servers. Mobile Phone users should take regular data backups of their phones to avoid any such problems in the future.
Q3. Is there a way to wipe-off all data from the phone after it is lost to ensure that data is not breached?
Some private insurance companies also offer App features that can be installed on the phone which helps the mobile users to track the lost phone, remotely activate the alarms, and wipe-off all the personal data saved in the handset with a click of a button.
Q4. Does the mobile insurance cover damage done to internal circuits of the phone?
Yes, some insurance companies provide insurance coverage to the motherboard or other internal circuitry of the mobile phone.
Q5. If the mobile phone is completely damaged due to any risk that is covered under the mobile insurance policy, will the policyholder get a new phone?
Yes, some insurance companies in India offer replacement of the mobile phone with same Make and Model of the damaged phone as a part of their claim settlement process and policy guidelines.