When travelling, be it abroad or domestic, everyone wants a safe and peaceful journey. However, untoward incidents like loss of baggage, trip cancellation and medical emergency can lead to depletion of savings. Thus, the requirement of a travel insurance. Tata AIG travel plans help to protect against various uncertainties and expenses.
What is Tata AIG Travel Insurance?
Tata AIG offers an array of travel insurance plans that manage the expenses related to various uncertainties, such as trip inconvenience, urgent medical requirement, loss of baggage or passport. The plans cater to the needs of individuals, students and domestic travel.
Types of Tata AIG Travel Insurance Plans
Tata AIG Travel Insurance offers 4 types of policies which insured can take on the basis of single Trip, annual multi trip and family floater.
- Travel Guard
- Student Guard
- Asia Travel Guard
- Domestic Travel Guard
Tata AIG Travel Insurance Plans
Travel Guard – International Insurance: While travelling, it makes no sense to carry an extra baggage of unnecessary worries. From expenses related to emergency medical care to loss of passport or belongings, one can cover all of these with Travel Guard – International Insurance plan.
|Entry Age||Children: 6 months-70 years|
Adults: 18-70 years(In case of single trip, the minimum age of entry is 6 months whereas in annual multi-trip it is 19 years)
|Policy duration||180 days|
What It Covers?
- Loss of checked-in baggage during transit by the airline
- Delay in the arrival of checked-in baggage
- Home insurance for burglary or attempted burglary while the insured person traveling abroad
- Loss of passport
- Hijack distress allowance for every 24 hours of period
- Flight delay for more than 12 hours
- Compensation for the unauthorised usage of a lost credit/ debit/ payment card up to 12 hours after reporting during the travel
- Reimbursement for bounced airline and hotel bookings
- Compensation for accidental injury, death and emergency medical expenses
- Reimbursement for emergency transportation to a hospital, treatment and medical supplies
- Property damage
Student Guard Overseas Health Insurance Plan: This travel plan is specifically designed for those who are going abroad to study. This plan takes care of their health and travel-related concerns during the stay so as to help them focus on their studies.
What it Covers?
- Compensation for baggage loss and delay in the arrival of checked-in baggage
- Loss of passport
- Hijack cash benefit for every 24-hour period
- Reimbursement for missed connections or departure
- Reimbursement for trip cancellation or delay due to covered hazard
- Compensation for accidental injury, death, dismemberment and emergency sickness expenses
- Reimbursement for the transportation costs of repatriation of mortal remains
- Reimbursement for tuition fees in case of study interruption due to health condition
- Reimbursement for tuition fees in the event of injury, death or permanent total disablement of the sponsor
|Entry Age||16 – 35 years|
Domestic Travel Guard Policy: Even though travel plans are specifically designed for traveling abroad, Tata AIG offers this plan to make domestic travel relaxed and pleasant. Just like any other travel policy, this one takes care of every possible aspect of a journey.
What It Covers?
- Compensation or a pre-defined amount will be paid in case of flight ticket gets misplaced and insured person cannot travel
- Reimbursement of accommodation expenses if the trip is delayed
- Reimbursement for the economy airfare round-trip and hotel for one immediate family member if the insured needs medical attention during the trip
- Reimbursement for treatment, medical supplies and transportation expenses if the insured person is hospitalised
- Hospital cash benefit for an accidental injury
- Compensation in the event of injury or death during the trip
- Transportation costs will be provided for transporting mortal remains
|Entry Age||16 – 35 years|
|Coverage||Annual Multi Trip Insurance: Up to 30 days|
Business trip/ Single Trip Insurance: Up to 90 days
Asia Travel Guard Policy: This travel plan is designed to cover trips within Asia and covers expected as well unexpected circumstances during the trip.
What it Covers?
- Loss of baggage
- Delay in checked-in baggage
- Reimbursement for the expenses incurred due to the purchase of toiletries, medicines, clothes, etc. because of delay in the arrival of checked-in baggage
- Loss of passport
- Payment up to the limit of sum insured mentioned in the policy will be paid if the insured person becomes legally liable to pay for property damage or for medical expenses to third-party
- In case of accidental death or total permanent disablement, the insurance company will pay compensation for it
- In the event of medical emergency, expenses for transportation, treatment and evacuation will be covered
- Accidental injury, sickness and other medical expenses
- Costs of transporting mortal remains are covered
|Entry Age||Child: 6 months-23 years|
Adult: 18-70 years
How To Apply Online For Tata AIG Travel Insurance?
- Open the official website of Tata AIG and click on Travel Insurance tab
- On the main page, enter your basic details such as gender, country where you are going, purpose of your visit, etc.
- Next, select the coverage you are looking for, enter the start and end date of your trip, enter your age,
- After entering basic details, click on Calculate Premium
- On the main page, you will see the premium that you need to pay. If you are satisfied with the premium amount, go ahead and make the payment and policy will be issued
Claim Process for Tata AIG Travel Insurance
The claim process of Tata AIG Travel Plans is quick and easy. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Notify the insurer in writing about the claim within 7 days after the actual or potential loss begin
- Take immediate or necessary actions to protect/ save or recover the covered property
- Give immediate written notice to the concerned carrier or the authority who is liable for the damage or loss
- Notify or file a report to police or other concerned authority in the event of theft, robbery, etc. within 24 hours
- Upon receipt of a notice of claim, insurance company will provide you with certain forms to file for proof of loss
Documents Required For Claim Process
To initiate the claim process, the insured person will have to submit a set of documents as per the type of claim. However, the following are some of the common documents to be submitted for all types of claim:
- Duly filled and signed claim form by the insured or policy representative on their behalf
- Original bills, receipts, cash memos along with consultation bills, pharmacy bills, diagnostic bills and prescription too
- All medical reports including case history, treatment papers, investigation reports, discharge summary with admission and discharge dates
- Detailed list of individual medical services and treatment
- Any other important document as asked by the claim department relevant to the covered provided under the policy
Time Taken To Settle Claims
After receiving all the required documents and upon satisfaction, the insurance company will will settle the claim within 30 days as per the regulation of IRDAI. In case there is any delay in payment, insurance company will be liable to pay interest.
Exclusions under Tata AIG Travel Insurance
There are certain cases in which the insurer will not be liable to pay any benefit to the insurance policy owner. These general exclusions are:
- Traveling against the advice of attending physician or traveling specifically to obtain a treatment
- Suicide, self-inflicted injuries, mental or nervous disorders, sexually transmitted disease, HIV AIDS and related issues
- Injuries or sickness incurred while serving in naval, military or air force
- Injuries, illness, etc. under the influence of intoxicating drugs or alcohol
- Loss or damage arising indirectly or directly from war, invasion, civil war, acts of foreign enemies
- Damage or loss related to radiation, nuclear reaction, radioactive contamination
- Baggage loss if sent in advance or shipped separately
- Delay in the arrival of baggage while travelling within India
- Loss of passport due to delay or from detention or confiscation by the police, customer or any other authority
- Loss of passport due to theft if not reported to police within 24 hours of the loss not covered.
The Single Trip Insurance is non-renewable whereas the insured can renew his Annual trip policy for life upon payment of premium. In case of student travel insurance, annual trip policy can only be renewed till the age of 35 and afterwards it will not be renewed. Tata AIG provides grace period of 30 days where S/he is allowed to make payment and continue their policy. However, no coverage will be provided during the grace period.
- Insured should notify a claim to the insurance company or TPA within 30 days
- If the insured is more than 70 years of age then maximum trip duration including extension, if applicable, shall not exceed 180 days in total in case of Travel Guard International plan
- To maintain the continuity, insured should pay their premium before the expiry date or during the grace period of their policy or else, their policy will get terminated post 30 days
- Written intimation about the claim must be sent to the insurance company within 30 days maximum
- Free look period is only applicable to Annual multi-trip insurance
- In case of student travel insurance plan, the coverage shall cease if the insured is visiting India and will commence again when he is back at the original destination
Advantages Of Tata AIG Travel Insurance
- Automatic extension of the policy for 7 days in case of unavailability or delay in flights
- Provides grace period of 30 days to policyholder
- Provides free look period where in the insured can review the terms and conditions of the policy and return the same within 15 days
- Medical evacuation assistance in case the insured needs to be transferred for better treatment
- Offers emergency cash transfers and advances, limited to certain plans
Tata AIG Travel Insurance Customer Support
For any claim related query or intimation of claim, the policyholder should contact the assistance company of Tata AIG which is AIG Travel Assist through the modes
For American policies, Call: +1-866-866-2619 (Toll Free within US & Canada): +1-817-826-7017 (Reverse Charge/Collect from other places)
For other policies, Call:+603-2118-0782 or +603-2118-0784 (Toll Worldwide)
Email: TGAP.TATAmedical@travelguard.com and for claim TGAP.TATAclaims@travelguard.com
Q1. What is covered in case I lose my passport?
Tata AIG travel insurance covers the expenses incurred by the insured for getting a new or duplicate passport.
Q2. Does this policy cover pre-existing conditions?
No, none of the plans cover pre-existing conditions. However in case of Travel guard insurance policy, if any complication arising from pre-existing condition in a lifesaving unforeseen emergency condition would be reimbursed up to $1500 per policy.
Q3. What do I need to do in case of delay of my checked-in baggage?
If there is delay of checked-in baggage beyond 12 hrs from actual arrival date, insured first needs to lodge complaint with carrier and send the original Property Irregularity Report (PIR) along with the claim form to the insurance company. Meanwhile, the expenses incurred on purchase of toiletries, medicines, refreshment and clothing will later on be reimbursed.