Health is the most valuable asset for an individual. Looking at the modern lifestyle and rising medical costs, it makes sense to purchase a health insurance policy. There are many health insurance policies which can help in managing hospitalisation and medical expenses. Health insurance also helps in reaping tax benefits. Let’s look at the health insurance plans offered by Star Health Insurance.
Types of Star Health Insurance Plans
To cater to the needs of various groups and age categories, Star Health Insurance provides a plethora of health insurance products. They can be clubbed under plans for individuals, family and parents.
Documents Required to Purchase Star Health Insurance
Below are the documents required to buy any Star Health Insurance plan:
- Age Proof: driving license, PAN card, passport, birth certificate
- Identity Proof: passport, voter ID card, PAN card, Driving license
- Address Proof: bank A/c statement, electricity bill
- Income Proof: employer’s certificate, I-T return documents
Star Health Insurance Plans
|Plan Name||Entry Age||Sum Insured||Policy Term|
|Family Health Optima Insurance Plan
|18-65 Yrs||Rs 1 Lakh- Rs 25 lakh||1 Year|
|Senior Citizen Red Carpet Health Insurance Policy||60 and 75 years||Rs 1 lakh-Rs 25 lakh||1/2/3 Years|
|Star Criticare Plus Insurance Policy||18-65 Years||Rs 2 lakh-Rs 10 lakh||–|
|Star Family Delite Insurance Policy||18-65 Years||Rs 2 lakh/Rs 3 lakh||–|
|Star Special Care||3-25 Year||Rs 3 lakh||1 Year|
|Star Comprehensive Insurance Policy
|3 Months-65 Years
|5 lakh-25 lakh||1 Year|
|Star Medi-Classic Insurance Policy (Individual)||5 Months-65 Years||Rs 1.5 Lakh-Rs 15 lakh||1 year|
|Star Health Gain Insurance Policy
|91 days to 65 years||Rs 1 lakh-Rs 5 lakh||1 Year|
|Star Super Surplus Insurance Policy||18-65 Years||Rs 5 lakh-Rs 25 lakh||1 year|
|Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy||18-65 years||Rs 3 lakh-Rs 10 lakh||1 Year|
|Star Cardiac Care Insurance Policy||10 Yrs-65 Yrs||Rs 3 lakh/ Rs 4 lakh||–|
|Star Cancer Care Gold (Pilot Product||5 Months-65 Years||Rs 3 lakh/ Rs 5 lakh||One Year|
|Star Net Plus
|Available for all age groups||Rs 5000-Rs 50,000/ Rs15000-Rs 50,000||–|
|Star Care Micro Insurance Policy
|18-65 years||Rs 1 lakh||1 Year|
Different Modes of Buying Star Health Insurance Plans
All the plans offered by Star Health is available online as well. All the insured needs to do is select the insurance cover, policy type, date of birth, policy term, number of adults, pin code and star health will show you suitable policy as per your needs.
Star Health Network Hospitals
Star Health is equipped to offer you quality health care with their strong network of more than 8,800 hospitals across India.
Star Health Insurance Claim Process
Star Health provides both cashless and reimbursement mode of claim settlement. Cashless claims can be made at any of the Star Health network hospitals across the country.
- In case of an emergency, Star Health needs to be informed about the claim within 24 hours of the accident, illness or hospitalisation
- For a planned hospitalisation, Star Health needs to be informed 24 hours before hospitalisation
- For any help, use the 24-hour helpline number -1800-425-2255/1800-102-4477
- Fill in the details in the pre-authorisation form and send it to Star Health Insurance for verification. After verification, the payment will be done to the hospitals
- In case of reimbursement, submit the bills to the insurance company after the discharge and the money will be reimbursed
Documents Required for Claim Process
For cashless or reimbursement claim, following documents should be submitted to the insurance company:
- Duly filled in claim form
- Health card in case of cashless claim
- Doctor’s consultation papers and investigation reports
- Pharmacy bill copy
- Discharge summary
Cases Where you Can’t Claim Star Health Insurance (Exclusions)
The Star Health Insurance offers various coverage; however, some cases are not covered, also called exclusions. Let us look at some of these situations under both individual and floater plans:
- Circumcision, inoculation and vaccination or any medical treatment associated with any disease
- Any transplant or related surgeries
- All congenital external diseases/conditions/defects and abnormalities
- Any injury or disease indirectly or directly acquired through nuclear material
- Stem cell therapy and related transplantation in that order
- Cost of spectacles and contacts, hearing aids, walkers and crutches and cochlear implants
- Expenses incurred on Lasik Laser and Refractive error correction along with its disorders
- Naturopathy treatment
How Long Does it Take To Pay Out the Claim?
In case of cashless claim, as soon as the insurance company gets intimation about the claim made, Star Health will verify the coverage and the validity of the policy. Once the medical team approves the claim, payment is forwarded to the hospital.
In case of reimbursement, claim form should be submitted within 30 days from the date of discharge. On receiving the documents, the insurance company will assess them and accordingly settle the claim within 30 days from the acceptance of the claim.
The insured can renew his policy either online or directly by visiting the branch. A grace period of 30 days is provided to the insured from the date of expiry to renew his policy.
Star Health policy will terminate automatically either on the death of the person or at the exhaustion of the sum insured.
Advantages of Buying Star Health Insurance
Star Health Insurance exclusively offers various health insurance policies for the benefit of all. Let us look at some of the benefits of purchasing Star Health Insurance plans:
- Covers the treatment expenses of family at an affordable premium
- Covers domiciliary hospitalisation for more than three days
- Some plans offer hospital cash benefits for each successful hospitalisation day
- Air ambulance charges up to 10% covered during one policy period
- Pre-hospitalisation charges up to 60 days and post-hospitalisation charges up to 90 days are covered
- Covers day-care treatment expenses and ambulance charges
- No check-up is needed before purchasing the policy
- It includes a health checkup benefit for every claim-free year
In case the insured needs any help, s/he can contact the company in the following ways:
Call them at their toll-free number: 1800-425-2255
Email them on Support@starhealth.in
Or send a post at the address:
Star Health & Allied Insurance co. ltd
No.1, New Tank Street, Valluvarkottam High Road,
Chennai – 600 034.
Q1. Do these policies cover treatment expenses for accidents?
Not all policies cover the treatment expenses of accidents, such as the Star Criticare Plus Insurance Policy.
Q2. Can a person who is not a resident of India buy this policy?
Majority of policies require the policy buyer to be a resident of India. But if a non-Indian individual buys a Star Health insurance policy, the coverage can be availed in India only.
Q3. Is there any cashless hospitalisation facility under the network of Star Health Insurance?
Yes, there are many cashless hospitalisation facilities provided at the network hospitals where the policyholder can avail hospitalisation. For other hospitals, claims can be made for reimbursement after the treatment.
Q4. What is a family floater plan?
A single policy which can take care of all the hospitalisation expenses of a family is called a family floater policy plan.
Q5. How many times can I claim in a single policy year?
The policyholder can claim any number of times in a single policy period. But the insured sum is the maximum amount that you can claim under the policy.