LIC health insurance plans provide financial support to manage unforeseen medical expenses. The escalating health care costs can create a hole in your pocket, and thus, the need for an adequate health insurance cover. The health insurance plans by LIC of India provide a way to manage such sudden expenses and to prevent your budget from going haywire.
Types of LIC Health Insurance Plans
LIC of India provides 2 types of comprehensive health insurance plans.
- LIC Jeevan Arogya
- LIC Cancer Cover
Documents Required to Purchase Plans
To purchase any of the LIC health insurance plans, following documents are required for seamless processing:
- Application Form (duly filled in and signed)
- ID Proof (Aadhar, PAN, driving license, passport, voter ID, etc.)
- Address Proof (Aadhar, utility bills, PAN card, voter ID, etc.)
- Age Proof (Birth certificate, passport, driving license, etc.)
- Income Proof (Salary slip, ITR details, etc.)
- Passport-sized photographs
LIC Health Insurance Plans
The 2 health insurance plans by LIC of India, namely Jeevan Arogya and Cancer Cover are quite distinctive in nature and provide comprehensive coverage.
1. LIC Jeevan Arogya
LIC Jeevan Arogya is a non-linked and non-participating health insurance plan that offers complete financial security against specified health risks while providing aid in times of medical emergencies. The returns are not market linked and the insured does not enjoy any benefit of bonus.
|Entry Age||18 – 50 years|
2. LIC Cancer Cover
LIC Cancer Cover is a health insurance plan specifically designed to manage medical expenses related to cancer treatment. It comes with two benefit options of level sum insured and increasing sum insured.
Specific early and major stage cancer types are covered under this plan, viz. prostate cancer, thyroid cancer, bladder cancer, chronic lymphocytic leukaemia, etc. (early stage) and malignant tumour (major stage).
|Entry Age||20 – 65 years|
|Sum Insured||Rs. 10 lakh – Rs. 50 lakh|
100% of sum insured paid as lump sum on diagnosis of early stage cancer
In case of any hospitalisation or treatment or diagnosis of cancer, policyholders need to file claims to receive the benefits. There are 2 types of claims – cashless and reimbursement.
- Inform the company about the eventuality before getting hospitalised
- In case of emergency hospitalisation, inform the company within 24 hours of hospitalisation
- Submit the bills and other supporting documents to the Third Party Administrator (TPA) desk at the hospital
- Hospital will contact the company for authorisation
- At the end, after the co-payment, the company will directly pay its share to the hospital
2. Reimbursement claims
- Post treatment, pay the bills yourself and then submit the bills and medical reports to the insurance company along with dully filled in and signed claim form
- Company will verify the documents for authenticity of the claim
- Post verification, if all is found correct, payment shall be transferred to the account of the policyholder
Documents Required for Claim Process
Some or all of the below mentioned documents may be required during claim process for LIC health insurance plans:
- Claim Form
- ID Proof and Age Proof (Aadhaar Card, PAN Card, Ration Card, etc.)
- Address Proof (Passport, Ration Card, Utility Bills, etc.)
- Medical Reports
- Medical Bills
- Original Discharge Summary
- Policy Certificate/Health Card
- Copy or Summary of surgeon’s operation
- Death summary in case of death of the patient
- Certificate from Physician
- Proof of age
- Any other document that may be called for in the course of claim evaluation
Time Taken to Settle Claims
For cashless claims, authorisation is done within 24 hours. For reimbursement, this time extends to a maximum of 30 days from the time of document receipt. However, this time can increase, in case of an investigation or need for more supporting documents.
A health insurance plan needs to be renewed annually. It should be done on time so as to reap the benefits when needed. Any health insurance claim filed by the policyholder can be renewed anytime by following the below mentioned steps:
- Visit the official website of LIC at https://www.licindia.in/
- Click “Pay Premium Online” under Online Services Category
- Click “Pay Direct” or “Through Customer Portal” as per the requirement
- If you select “Pay Direct” then select “Renewal Premium/Revival”
- Enter the details and click “Submit”
- Make payment through different online modes
Not all situations are covered by a health plan. These are called exclusions. Here are few exclusions for which claims are not entertained.
- Expenses caused as a result of drug abuse
- Pre-existing medical conditions
- Expenses incurred during a plastic surgery
- Injuries caused due to intentional self-harming
- Pregnancy conditions
- Childbirth conditions
- Incidents caused due to natural calamities
- Injuries caused as a result of participating in dangerous sports activities
- Congenital conditions
- Conditions caused due to an attempt at suicide
- Radioactive conditions
- Conditions from beauty treatments
- Conditions from cosmetic treatments
- Epidemic conditions
- Pre-existing disease
- Diagnosis of cancer made within 180 days from the date of issuance of policy
- HIV-AIDS-related treatment
- Organ donation the insured
- Medical conditions arising out of nuclear war/material
Advantages of Buying LIC Health Insurance Plans
Some of the advantages of LIC Health Insurance are:
- Coverage for early stage cancer and major stage cancer
- No Claim Bonus Benefit
- Ambulance Benefit
- Premium Waiver Benefit ( on diagnosis of cancer, premium of 3 policy years will be waived off)
- Hospital Cash Benefit (HCB)
Customer Care Details
For any query related to policy, individuals can contact via-
- Call: General Number: 022- 6827-6827
For Health Insurance Plans: 18004259876
- SMS: LICHELP <policy number> to 9222492224 or
LICHELP <policy number> to 56767877
More Details: LIC Customer Portal: Login & Registration Process
Q1. What is Automatic Renewal Date?
Unlike other health insurance policies, LIC Health Insurance policy does not change the premium for the first three years from the policy inception. After the policy is renewed in a three-year gap, the policy premium is again secured for the next three years. This date is termed as Automatic Renewal Date (ARD).
Q2. Can an expired LIC Health Insurance be renewed?
Yes, you can renew your expired health plan by LIC within 2 years of the expiry of the policy.
Q3. What are the modes of premium payment?
One can pay the premium via online mode or offline. For offline mode, visit the nearest branch office, while for online payment, options like net banking, debit card, credit card, etc. are available.
Q4. Who all are covered in Jeevan Arogya policy?
Policyholder, spouse, children, parents and parents-in-law can be included in this LIC health insurance plan.
Q5. Can I take a loan against LIC health insurance plans?
No, loan facility is not available under LIC health plans.
Q6. Do I get death benefit in Jeevan Arogya Policy?
Death benefit rider can be availed on payment of extra premium. Basic plan does not cover death benefit.