While travelling abroad, it may get quite difficult to handle or even bear unexpected expenses incurred due to an accident or illness. Since the medical facilities are quite expensive at international locations as compared to India, handling such expenses is not less than a roller coaster ride. To help people take precaution beforehand, HDFC Ergo have travel Insurance plans created for every kind of traveller. HDFC Ergo Travel Insurance Plans safeguard the insured and their family against unforeseen mishaps during their stay abroad.
|Name of Plans||Entry age||Maximum Duration|
|Student Travel Insurance Plan||16 years-35 years||30 days-2 years|
|Family travel insurance||3 months-60 years (Self, spouse and up to 2 children)||NA|
|Annual Multi Trip Plan||18 years-70 years||30/45 days-365 days|
|Single Trip Travel Insurance||6 months- 70 years||NA|
HDFC Ergo Travel Insurance Plans
Here is a brief overview of the various plans provided by HDFC Ergo General Insurance Company:
- Individual Travel Insurance Policy: This plan protects the policyholder from various uncertainties and possible risks associated with travelling abroad. It takes care of travel-related panics such as loss of passport, loss of baggage, medical emergencies, etc. and assures smooth travel experience. The policyholder can take the coverage in the following categories:
- Single Trip Plan (Including USA/Canada & Excluding USA/ Canada): It covers a single overseas trip and starts from the time you board the flight till the date you return back.
|Coverage/Sum Insured||$ 500,000||$ 200,000||$ 100,000||$ 50,000|
|Emergency Medical expenses||500,000||200,000||100,000||50,000|
|Hospital Cash||$ 15 – $150 per day||$ 15 – $150 per day||$ 15 – $150 per day||$ 15 – $150 per day|
|Loss of baggage & personal documents||$ 250||$ 250||$ 250||$ 250|
|Delay of checked-in baggage||$ 200||$ 200||$ 200||$ 200|
|Financial Emergency Assistance||$ 1,500||$ 1,000||$ 700||$ 500|
- Single Trip Asia (Excluding Japan)
|Coverage/Sum Insured||$ 30,000||$ 15,000|
|Emergency medical expenses||30,000||15,000|
|Hospital cash||$ 10- $ 150 per day||$ 10- $ 150 per day|
|Loss of baggage & personal documents||$ 150||$ 150|
|Delay of checked-in baggage||$ 100||$ 100|
|Financial Emergency Assistance||$ 300||$ 300|
- Annual Multi Trip Plan (Worldwide):- If an individual is a frequent flyer, buying this cover will be their best bet as it saves the trouble and time of buying a policy for every trip. It offers coverage for multiple trips in the period of one year.
|Coverage/Sum Insured||$ 500,000||$ 250,000|
|Emergency Medical expenses||$ 500,000||$ 250,000|
|Hospital Cash||$15 – $150 per day||$15 – $150 per day|
|Loss of baggage & personal documents||$ 250||$ 250|
|Delay of checked-in baggage||$ 200||$ 200|
|Financial Emergency Assistance||$ 1,500||$ 1,500|
|Hotel Accommodation||$ 3,000||$ 3,000|
2. Family Travel Insurance: – HDFC Ergo Family Travel Insurance ensures you and your family are financially protected from possible risks and uncertainties associated with overseas travel. In family travel policy, maximum 2 dependent children can be covered.
- Family Floater Plan (Including USA/Canada & Excluding USA/ Canada)
|Coverage/Sum Insured||$ 500,000||$ 200,000||$ 100,000||$ 50,000|
|Emergency Medical expenses||$ 500,000||$ 200,000||$ 100,000||$ 50,000|
|Hospital Cash||$15 – $150 per day||$15 – $150 per day||$15 – $150 per day||$15 – $150 per day|
|Loss of baggage & personal documents||$ 200||$ 200||$ 200||$ 200|
|Delay of checked-in baggage||$ 100||$ 100||$ 100||$ 100|
3. Student Suraksha overseas Travel Insurance Policy: This travel plan is meant for Indian students who are travelling overseas for higher study. The existing Indian students who are studying abroad can also be covered under this policy. The policyholder doesn’t have to undergo any medical tests to purchase this plan. However, if there is any history of illness, then insurance company may ask for health reports.
|Benefits||Platinum (US $)||Gold (US $)||Silver (US $)||Bronze (US $)||Standard (US $)|
|Emergency Medical Expenses||5,00,000||2,50,000||1,00,000||50,000||NIL|
|Loss of passport||250||250||200||200||200|
|Loss of checked baggage||2000||2000||1000||1000||1000|
|Delay of Checked Baggage||200||200||150||100||NA|
|Compassionate Visit (2 way)||7500||7500||7500||7500||7500|
How to Buy HDFC Ergo Travel Insurance Plans?
You can buy HDFC Ergo Travel Insurance plan as per your need directly from its website. Below are the steps to do that:
- Open the official website of HDFC Ergo (www.hdfcergo.com). Click ‘Travel Insurance’ tab given on the main page.
- On the next page, click on ‘Buy Now’
- Select the type of travel insurance from Student/Family International/Individual International Travel Insurance and enter age
- On the next page, enter the name of the country you are travelling to, departure and return dates
- After entering all the information, click on ‘View Quote’
- If you are satisfied with the quote, make the payment and your policy will be sent to you via post and email.
HDFC ERGO travel insurance plans provide comprehensive coverage to the insured. Therefore, claim process for hospitalisation expenses will be different if compared with loss of passport claim process. Listed below are the general claim provisions for you to know if/when the need arises:
- Insurance company must be informed of any insured event such as treatment, consultation as soon as possible or in any case within 7 days. In case of death of the insured, beneficiary is responsible to intimate the insurance company about such occurrence within 21 days.
- Insured person or someone from their behalf can register their claim by calling up their customer care number +800 08250825 (for international locations toll-free)
- Their claim representatives will guide you to know more about the claim process and documents required
- Complete, written proof of loss along with the claim documents must be given to the company within 30 days after the date of loss
- The insurer will evaluate the loss and settle the claim accordingly
Documents Required For Claim Process
To initiate the claim process, policyholder needs to submit claim documents to the insurance company within 30 days after the date of loss. Below is the indicative list of documents required for claim settlement:
- All invoices, original bills, prescriptions, hospital certificates
- Copy of the passport
- Post-mortem report
- Death certificate
- Final police inspection report
- Discharge summary
- Relevant original invoices for the expenses incurred
- Copy of cancelled cheque
Note: This list is not indicative, insurer may ask for other documents.
Time Taken To Settle Claims
After getting all the required documents regarding the claim, insurance company will examine the facts and documents. Upon satisfaction, it will settle the claim within 30 days.
Insurance company is not liable to pay if the claim arises because of the following scenario/s:
- Any sickness or health issues caused due to war or a breach of a law
- Insured was drunk or intoxicated during the accident
- Pre-existing disease/s
- Cosmetic or obesity treatment
- Self-inflicted injury
- Any injury caused due to adventure sport remains uncovered
Note: This list is not exhaustive.
The renewal process of HDFC Ergo Travel Insurance plans differ from plan to plan and depends which plan you have taken. In case of student travel insurance plan, policyholder can renew their policy up to 2 years from the initial policy start date provided they submit the health certificate. In case of Annual multi-Trip Insurance plan, insured can renew their policy annually.
Listed below are the certain points which policy seeker should know about travel insurance plans:
- Policyholder cannot increase sum insured (Coverage) while extending the term period of their travel insurance policy
- The entire policy period along with extension cannot exceed 2 years
- Foreign national domiciled in India can be covered subject to verification of ration card and IT return.
- Coverage period of travel insurance policy cannot be reduced in any case
- Notice of cancellation of the policy should be sent within 14 days of policy issuance
Advantages of HDFC Ergo Travel Insurance Plans
Following are the advantages of buying travel insurance plan from HDFC Ergo:
- Provides comprehensive and worldwide coverage to the insured
- No pre-policy medical check-up are required
- 24*7 customer care support
- One can easily extend the policy if the insured is still in the foreign land due to flight delay or some other emergency
- Reimbursement of expenses in case of emergency evacuation
For travel, medical advice and assistance during your trip, call up their customer care centre for further assistance through mediums given below:
|Contact Medium||Register your claim||For Customer support|
|Toll-free number||+800 0825 0825||1800-2700-700/ 1800 2666 400|
Note: Please add the country code while dialing the contact number.
Q1. If the student is already studying abroad, is s/he eligible to buy student travel insurance plan?
No, the policy start date and purchase date cannot be later than your trip commencement date.
Q2. Can I extend my policy?
If the need arises, the policyholder can extend their travel insurance policy by submitting the declaration of good health to the insurance company and TPA. If approved by the provider, s/he can go ahead and pay the extension premium before the due date.
Q3. How do I extend my travel insurance policy?
The policyholder can request for the extension of their policy by sending an email to email@example.com along with the health declaration certificate attached to it. The notification regarding the same should be made 30 days before the due date. If request approved, insurance company will contact you with detailed procedure and additional premium amount to be paid.
Note: Extension on a policy will not be entertained if the insured have already made a claim in the policy year
Q4. For how many days can the travel insurance plans be extended?
- Single trip including USA/Canada (Worldwide) and Single trip Excluding USA/Canada: – It may be extended maximum up to 180 days and should not be exceed 360 days in total.
- Single trip Asia excluding Japan: – It may be extended maximum up to 30 days and should not be exceed 60 days.
- Single Trip family floater excluding USA/Canada: – It may be extended maximum up to 60 days and should not be exceed 120 days.
Q4. How can I cancel my travel insurance policy?
The policyholder can cancel his/her policy by informing the insurance company about the same within 14 days of policy issuance. In case, you are cancelling after the coverage period has already started, submit all 40 pages of the passport as a proof that the journey has not been undertaken. After deducting Rs.250 as a cancellation charges, rest of the balance will be refunded to your account.
Q5. What does ‘deductible amount’ mean in my policy?
It is the amount of a claim that has to be borne by the insured.
Q6. Whom do I need to contact in case I want to make changes in the policy?
The policyholder can send the request mail for changes via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. On receipt of the request, the changes will be made within 7-10 days and documents will be mailed to you on your registered email address.
Q7. I need to file a claim. Where can I get the claim form?
When policyholder registers the claim, the insurance company will send the claim along with list of documents required for assessing the claim. The policyholder can also download the claim from its official website. Go to the download section located at the bottom of the page and select claim form and download the claim form.
Q9. I have postponed my travel plans. Can I change the travel dates of my policy?
Yes, provided there is no change in health status of the insured. It can be done by sending a written request via mail.