HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company Limited is a merged entity between HDFC Limited and ERGO International. The insurance company offers various insurance products such as Health, Mediclaim, Home, HDFC ERGO Car Insurance, Motor, Personal Accident Cover and Travel. HDFC ERGO caters to the needs of all individuals and corporates. The company keep upgrading their plans and offer excellent customer support. The company serves in 122 branch offices in 106 cities and 1900 employees across the country.
What is HDFC ERGO Car Insurance?
The HDFC ERGO Car Insurance can be one of the best selections for car insurance in India that comes with a proper mix of customer support, robust features and professional services. This insurance plan offers cashless claim at more than 6800 network garages across India.
|Third Party Coverage||Up to 7.5 lakhs|
|Network Garage||More than 6800|
Types of HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Plan
There are basically two types of car insurance plan provided by HDFC ERGO namely:
- Comprehensive Car Insurance: This insurance plan offers coverage for car damages, third party liabilities and personal accident for one year.
- Third Party Liability Car Insurance: This car insurance policy offers cover to all the damages caused to the third party by car accident.
What all HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Covers?
Following is the basic coverage with HDFC ERGO Car Insurance:
1. Damage caused to the car due to various reasons like-
- An accident of the car
- Theft, Burglary or housebreaking
- Fire, explosion, lightning
- Road, rail or waterway
- Earthquake, flood, landslide, rockslide
- Terrorism, riots, strike or any malicious act
2. Personal Accident Cover
Under this coverage, the insurance plan covers costs incurred during the medical treatment of the driver. Anyways, this can be optional by paying an additional premium
3. Third Party Legal Liability
- The insurance policy also covers accidental death or injury to any third party
- Any damage to the property that is owned by any third party
4. Certain add-on plans also offer the facility of zero depreciation claim.
5. The insurance policy offers an optional cover of CNG kit for those who opt for installing CNG kit in their car.
6. The policy also offers optional cover of electrical as well as non-electrical accessories such as music system, fog lights, alloy wheels or seat covers etc.
How to apply for HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Online?
Individuals can purchase HDFC ERGO car insurance online by following the below mentioned:
- Visit www.hdfcergo.com
- Click “Car Insurance” from the tab under “BUY” option
- Now you will be redirected to new page
- Enter Registration Number and click “Buy Now” or other option provided is that you can continue without providing vehicle number and proceed with selection of Car Company, Model, Variant, Year of Registration, City of Registration, Policy Type, Previous Policy Type and Previous Policy Status and then click “View Quote”
- Enter your details such as Full Name, Mobile Number and Email
- Click “Proceed”
- If the quote seems fine with you, make payment through the online mode of payments provided
Here are some of the basic requirements a person should fulfill in order to buy this insurance policy:
- One must be an Indian Citizen
- The car should be registered with RTO
- The person must be 18 years or above to be eligible to buy this insurance policy
- One must have a valid driving license
- The vehicle must have RC book for the car
There are two modes for requesting the claim with HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance. They are:
- Call on 1800-2-700-700 and register your claim and get your claim number through the phone itself.
- Download the registration form from the respective website and submit it at the nearest HDFC branch.
Documents Required for Claim
For filing a claim with HDFC ERGO Car Insurance, certain documents are required. Below mentioned is the list of documents:
- Documents related to the policy
- Claim form that is duly signed
- Registration Certificate
- Driving License
- Copy of F.I.R (in case of third party/personal involvement)
- Original bills and the proof that may be required for payment
Cashless Claim Settlement:
Avail the cashless claim settlement at the network garage for your car through these steps.
- Locate the network garage from their respective website and call on the number mentioned above to get the details.
- Get your vehicle at the nearest network garage.
- The surveyor will survey all the damages and losses on your vehicle.
- Fill in the form and submit it with the required documents.
- The company will keep you updated with all the stages of the claim through SMS/Email.
- When your vehicle gets ready, all you need to do is to pay your share of the claim and the balance would be settled with the garage directly by the company.
Reimbursement Claim Settlement:
When getting your car repaired at a non-network garage of HDFC ERGO, follow these steps for the reimbursement claim process:
- Register the claim through a call or by filling the form as mentioned above.
- The company surveyor will assess the damage and loss on the vehicle.
- Submit the form with all the required documents.
- Once you get the receipt of complete documents, the company will begin with processing the claim.
- The company keeps you updated through SMS/Email at every stage of the claim.
- Whichever method you choose for the payment, the company will reimburse the payment.
Exclusions under HDFC ERGO Car Insurance
The HDFC ERGO Car Insurance does not cover various incidents or cases. They are:
- Breakdown due to Mechanical or Electrical failures.
- Devaluation of the vehicle.
- Damage caused by the driver who is under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Any kind of loss caused due to war or nuclear risks.
- Tyres and tubes that are damaged due to the aging of the vehicle.
- When tyre and tube, both are damaged at the same time, the HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance will be limited to 50% of the total cost of replacement.
- Damage caused by overloading on the vehicle.
- Any kind of damage caused due to any contractual liability of the vehicle insured by the company.
- Damage caused to the car by a person driving without a valid driving license.
- Damage caused outside India.
- Damage caused to the tubes and tyres of the vehicle unless the car meets an accident.
Add-on Covers on HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Policies
Policyholders are provided with some of additional coverage under HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Plans as mentioned below:
- Zero Depreciation Cover: Through this coverage, policyholders are provided with zero depreciation cuts. In other words, customers are usually paid with the claim amount after deducting the depreciation amount. Availing this coverage makes sure that you receive the full claim amount with zero depreciation in hand.
- No Claim Bonus Protection: Under this add-on cover, policyholder can avail coverage if any damage is caused due to external impact, flood, fire, etc. to the parked vehicle with the No Claim Bonus earned so far which also extends to the next NCB slab.
- Emergency Assistance Cover: This coverage offers minor repairs on site, lost key assistance, duplicate key assistance, tyre changes, battery jump starts, fuel tank emptying and towing charges.
- Engine & Gear Box Protector: Under this coverage, engine and gear box damage is protected when the water enters the engine during floods or rain. Thus, it covers labor costs, machine charges, replacement or repair of all the child parts or internal parts.
Insured Declared Value (IDV)
IDV is referred as the compensation that insurer provides to the policyholder. This compensation is the maximum sum assured fixed by the insurer which is provided on the loss or theft of the vehicle. It is the current market value of the vehicle.
IDV is calculated as:
|AGE OF THE VEHICLE||% OF DEPRECIATION FOR FIXING IDV|
|Not exceeding 6 months||5%|
|Exceeding 6 months but not exceeding 1 year||15%|
|Exceeding 1 year but not exceeding 2 years||20%|
|Exceeding 2 years but not exceeding 3 years||30%|
|Exceeding 3 years but not exceeding 4 years||40%|
|Exceeding 4 years but not exceeding 5 years||50%|
Time Taken to Settle the HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Claim
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company aims at offering excellent customer service to their customers. That is why, the estimated time for claim approval is 24 hours and within a maximum of 30 days, the claim settlement procedure is done.
HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Renewal
Renewing the HDFC ERGO Car Insurance can be done online. Follow these steps:
- Go to the official website of HDFC ERGO and click on ‘Instant Renewal.’
- Mention the policy details
- Check the add on covers and enhance the security of your vehicle
- Once you fill the details, your renewal premium will get generated
- Make the payment and the insurance is renewed
HDFC ERGO Cashless Garages
Through cashless garages policyholder can get their vehicles repaired at any of the network garages that are included in the HDFC ERGO’s list. Visiting these garages, policyholders can avail the cashless facility provided by the company for claim settlement. There are more than 6800 cashless network garages available for the policyholders in India.
Advantages of Buying HDFC ERGO Car Insurance
There are various add on benefits of buying HDFC ERGO Car Insurance. They are:
- The HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance offers round the clock support to make it convenient and hassle-free for the customers.
- This motor insurance claims are settled with transparency.
- All the processes are done online, no need to rush to the branch office.
- The company offers no claim bonus up to a pre-fixed percentage for making no claims in the previous year.
- The insurance also offers engine and gearbox protection cover.
- The insurance policy offers the facility of Spot Survey which can be carried within 6 hours and waived 6 hours.
- The insurance policy offers state of the art of technology for claims, processing and standardising quality across service across the country.
Some of the points to keep in mind while buying the insurance policy are:
- When there is any kind of bodily injury, theft, property damage or any other major damage, the policyholder requires a First Information Report (FIR) from the nearest police station.
- In cases of major damage, intimate HDFC ERGO car insurance as early as possible to make the arrangements for on-the-spot inspection can be made easier.
Q1. Is Car Insurance Necessary for Everyone?
Yes. It is necessary for every car to be insured with a third-party liability only coverage stated in Motor Vehicle Act, 1988.
Q2. Can HDFC ERGO Car Insurance be renewed online?
Yes. Along with purchasing online, the policyholder can also renew the HDFC ERGO Car Insurance online from the official website.
Q3. Should a cover be availed with HDFC ERGO Car Insurance?
Yes, HDFC ERGO General Insurance company offers the facility for temporarily insuring your car when it is in the process of registration. It is valid for 60 days, after that, a comprehensive car insurance policy can come into effect.
Q4. What type of cars does HDFC ERGO Car Insurance insure?
With HDFC ERGO, the policyholder can avail complete insurance protection for new and used private cars.
Q5. Can No Claim Bonus be transferred from third party cover to HDFC ERGO Car Insurance?
Yes, of course. The policyholder can transfer the No Claim Bonus accumulated during the previous policy with other company to HDFC ERGO General Insurance Limited. The policyholder continues to enjoy all the benefits of the car insurance the same way he/she would have experienced with the previous company.
Q6. Does HDFC ERGO offer an option to renew the premiums online?
Yes, with HDFC ERGO Car Insurance, the customers can renew their car insurance premium online using their bank account or credit card.