To prevent misuse of the biometric data stored in your Aadhaar, UIDAI allows you to secure your information by locking your Aadhaar Card.
Steps To Lock and Unlock Biometric Data Of Your Aadhaar Card Online
One can lock and unlock biometric data using two platforms- via the UIDAI Website or via the mAadhaar App. Here’s how you can do it:
Via UIDAI's Website
Here's how it works:
- Visit https://resident.uidai.net.in/biometric-lock to lock/unlock your Aadhaar card biometrics online.
- Enter your 12 digit Aadhaar number and the security code.
- Once you click on the "Send OTP" tab, you will receive one secured password via SMS on your mobile. Enter that OTP and click on "Verify."
- Now, click on "Enable Biometric Locking" and click "Enable"
- To unlock the biometrics data, you need to visit the website; login and click on “disable biometric locking.”
Via mAadhaar App
UIDAI launched its mAadhaar app for Android users via which you can lock and unlock your biometric information easily. Here's how it works:
- To use this app, the user must use his/her Aadhaar card database-registered mobile number.
- Download the app, login with your Aadhaar number, followed by OTP for authentication and set a new password.
- On the top right side, tap on 'Biometric lock,' enter your password to lock the biometrics. Once locked, it will show a small lock icon next to your profile.
To unlock, tap on the same icon followed by your password. The information will unlock for 10 minutes. After that, it will be locked again.
Once you lock this information, it ensures that even the Aadhaar holder will not be able to use their biometric data (iris scan and fingerprints) for authentication, until unlocked. If you try to use this information without unlocking it, it will show you error code 330.
Please note, even with the biometric locked, you can continue to use the OTP-based authentication process for transactions, where you will receive OTPs on your registered mobile number and email address.