To apply for new Aadhar Card, you need to visit an Aadhaar enrolment center near you. At the enrolment center, you need to fill a form, submit your biometric details along with documents required for the verification of proof of identity and the proof of address.
Save more on Fuel with SBI BPCL Credit Card; Apply Now and Get Your Card in Just 7 Days*
Applying for the Aadhaar Card at an Enrolment Centre
The first step that an applicant should keep in mind before applying for an Aadhaar is to have all documents required for the Aadhaar card ready while visiting the enrolment centre. The application process for Aadhaar card is same for all Indian citizens including minors and senior citizens.
They only have to furnish relevant documents at the time of enrolment. Here is how a person can do this:
- Find an Aadhaar Enrolment Centre near you. If you reside in Tier I cities, you can find it at
- You can also find Aadhaar Enrolment Centres in other cities by visiting
- Fill the enrolment form (the form is also available online at
- Submit the form along with supporting documents such as the proof of identity and the proof of address.
- After all the documents are accepted, submit your biometric data which includes your fingerprints and the iris scan.
- Your photograph is also taken for Aadhaar.
- Collect the acknowledgement slip that contains the 14-digit enrolment number. It is used to check Aadhar card status.
- The Acknowledgement slip should be kept safely till you get your Aadhaar card.
There are some states and Union Territories in India where the Aadhaar enrolment is carried out by the Registrar General of India. The places include:
- Arunachal Pradesh.
- West Bengal.
- Tamil Nadu.
- Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
- Bangalore rural.
- Jammu & Kashmir
The process of applying for Aadhaar remains the same for these places as it is for the rest of the country.
Your Credit Score and Report is Now Absolutely Free Get Now
Get Your E-Aadhaar
Once all the documents and biometric data required for the Aadhaar card are submitted, it can take up to 90 days, i.e. 3 months, for the Aadhaar card to be sent to your residential address. The card will be sent via India Post and due to high number of people applying for the Aadhaar card, it may take more than 90 days to reach to the respective card holder.
However, if a person is in need of his/her Aadhaar card and in hurry, he/she can download a copy of the Aadhaar card which is also known as E-Aadhaar. To get the e-Aadhaar online you can follow these steps:
- Visit the Aadhaar Card official website of UIDAI.
- Fill in the form with using the enrolment number or the Aadhaar number.
- If you have the enrolment number:
- Enter the enrolment number.
- Enter the date and time as mentioned in the acknowledgement slip.
- Enter your name, pin code of your area and your registered mobile number with Aadhaar.
- If you have your Aadhaar number:
- Enter it along with your name, pin code and mobile number.
- After all the details are entered an OTP (One Time Password) is generated that will help in downloading a coloured version of the Aadhaar letter which is as valid as the Aadhaar card itself.
Get Your Free Credit Report with Monthly Updates Check Now
FAQs on Apply New Aadhaar Card
Q. I am not in India and I don’t have Aadhaar card. Can I apply for Aadhaar card from outside India?
A. Non-residents are not allowed to apply for an Aadhaar. You can apply for Aadhaar only when you have been residing in India for 182 days in the past 1 year.
Q. Can NRIs apply for Aadhaar card?
A. NRIs are not eligible for Aadhaar card. They can apply for Aadhaar only when they have been residing in India for the past 182 days in 1 year.
Q. Can OCI card holders obtain an Aadhar card?
A. Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) are not eligible for Aadhaar. Only people residing in India are eligible for Aadhaar, be it Indian citizens or foreigners.
Q. What is the process for NRIs/OCIs to apply for Aadhaar? Can they apply if they don’t have residential address in India now?
A. NRIs and OCIs cannot apply for Aadhaar if they do not reside in India. They have to live in India for 182 days collectively in the past 1 year. They cannot apply for Aadhar if they do not fulfil this criterion even if they have a residential address in India.
Q. Can a US citizen apply for Aadhar card?
A. Yes, if the US citizen has been residing in India for 182 days in the past year, he can apply for Aadhaar. However, the Aadhaar cannot be considered a proof of citizenship.
Q. What are the documents required for applying for an Aadhar card?
Following documents are required while applying for Aadhar Card:
Documents Required applying for an Aadhaar Card (Proof of Identity)
You can submit any of the supporting documents are accepted by the UIDAI as identity proof:
- PAN card
- Either Ration/ PDS Photocard
- Voter ID Card
- Driving license
- Photo identification cards issued by the GOI
- Service photo ID cards that are issued by a PSU
- Job card of NREGS
- A photo identification that is issued by a Recognised Educational Institution
- Arms Licence
- Photo Bank ATM card
- Photo Credit Card
- Pensioner’s Photo Card
- Freedom Fighter’s Photo Card
- Photo Passbook of Kisan
- Photo card of CGHS
- Certificate of Marriage
- A document containing proof of the marriage of the applicant issued originally by the marriage Registrar
- Legally approved name change certificate
- ECHS Photocard
- Residing Address card of the applicant that contains both the name and the photo that was originally issued by the Department of Posts
- Identity Certificate containing the photo of the applicant on a proper letterhead issued by either a Gazetted Officer or a Tehsildar
- Either a handicapped medical certificate or a disability Identification card that is issued by either the State Government, the UT Government or any such Administration
Note: To know more about the documents required for Aadhaar Card, click here.