Aadhaar has been projected as the most important and the most reliable proof of identity and address for Indian residents. It not only contains the demographic details but also contains the biometric data of the cardholder which makes it very hard to forge. The Aadhaar issuing authority, UIDAI, has made provisions to include all residents living in India under this scheme, irrespective of their age. Many hospitals have started to get babies enrolled for Aadhaar and they provide the Aadhaar acknowledgement slips along with birth certificates these days.
Aadhar Card for Children below 5 years of Age
Before parents go for enrolling their children for Aadhaar, they should read some of the salient features of Aadhar card for children below 5 years of age:
- Aadhaar card can be generated for all children below 5 years including new-borns.
- No biometrics of the child is taken in this case
- Only the child’s photograph is taken for Aadhaar
- It is compulsory to provide Aadhaar of any one of the parents
- In case both parents don’t have Aadhaar, they have to get enrolled for Aadhaar first
- Once the child is five years old, he has to provide the biometric data of all 10 fingers and iris scan
- The photograph is also taken during the process
- The same process has to be repeated when the child attains the age of 15 years
Get Your Free Credit Report with Monthly Updates Check Now
Aadhaar for Children between 5 and 15 Years of Age
Aadhar card for children between 5 years and 15 years is issued in a similar manner as that of adults. UIDAI has not differentiated between Aadhaar for children and adults. However, there are some salient features of Aadhaar for children between 5 to 15 years of age:
- The process of enrolment is similar to that of adults
- The only difference is the type of documents needed to be submitted
- The child has to get the biometric data (all 10 fingerprints, iris scan, and photograph) updated when he turns 15 years of age
- The birth certificate has to be provided in all cases
- The biometric data can be updated again in the later stages of life in case biometrics do not match in future
How to Apply for Aadhaar for Children below 5 Years of Age
The process of enrolling children for Aadhaar is a bit different from that of adults. The type of documents required for enrolling children for Aadhaar is also different for children. Here’s how to apply children below 5 years for Aadhaar:
Step 1: Visit a nearby Aadhaar Enrolment Centre (You can locate a nearby Enrolment Centre online as well)
Step 2: Fill the Aadhaar Enrolment Form mentioning your Aadhaar number on it
Step 3: Any one of the parents have to provide Aadhaar details for enrolling children below 5 years
Step 4: The photograph of your child will be taken
Step 5: The address and other demographic details are to be filled from the parent’s Aadhaar
Step 6: Submit a copy of the birth certificate of the child
Step 7: The Aadhaar executive will hand over the acknowledgement slip that contains the enrolment number
Step 8: The enrolment number can be used to check the status of Aadhaar generation
Note: Fingerprints and iris scan is not taken for children below 5 years. Also, you will get your child’s Aadhaar within 90 days.
How to Apply for Aadhaar for Children above 5 years of Age?
You have to follow these steps for enrolling your child between 5 to 15 years of age for Aadhaar:
Step 1: Visit a nearby Aadhaar Enrolment Centre to apply for Aadhaar for your child
Step 2: Fill the Aadhaar Enrolment form with all the required details
Step 3: Mention your Aadhaar number and details in case you do not have a valid address proof of your child
Step 4: Submit the form along with relevant documents to the executive
Step 5: The executive will take your child’s biometrics (10 fingerprints, iris scan, and photograph)
Step 6: Once the process is completed, an acknowledgement slip is generated
Step 7: The acknowledgement slip contains the enrolment ID that contains the enrolment number and time and date of the enrolment
Step 8: The enrolment ID can be used to check the status of Aadhaar
Note: The Aadhaar card is sent to the applicant’s address within 90 days of enrolment. Moreover, When the child turns 15, he has to get his biometric data updated in UIDAI’s database
Documents required for Aadhaar Card for Children
Applicants have to submit different documents for Aadhaar enrolment of children below 5 years and for children between 5 to 15 years of age. Mentioned below are the lists for both categories:
Documents to be submitted for Aadhaar for children below 5 years of age:
- Child’s original birth certificate
- Aadhaar card of any one of the parents
- Original copies of both documents have to be provided as well for verification
Documents to be submitted for Aadhaar for children between 5 and 15 years of age:
- Birth certificate of the child and any one of the following as Proof of Identity
- School identity card
- Bonafide certificate on the letterhead of the institution
- A parent’s Aadhaar card
- Identity certificate issued by the Gazetted Officer/Tehsildar on letterhead containing the photograph of the child
Any one of the following has to be submitted as the Proof of Address:
- A parent’s Aadhaar card
- Address certificate issued by MP or MLA/Gazetted Officer/Tehsildar on letterhead containing the child’s photograph
- Address certificate issued by Village Panchayat Head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas)
Fee and Charges for Aadhaar Card for Children
- No fee is charged from the applicant for enrolling the child for Aadhaar
- The cost of Aadhaar enrolment is borne by the government
- When the child goes for a biometric update after attaining 5 or 15 years of age, no fee is charged from the child
- However, whenever any demographic data has to be updated during this period, the applicant has to pay a fee of Rs.30
- In case the applicant wants to update his biometric details in Aadhaar in the future, he has to pay a fee of Rs. 30
Parents of children can register their mobile number with their kid’s Aadhaar card and use the mAadhaar app to carry the Aadhaar card of their child on their smartphone. The mAadhaar app is designed to add up to 3 Aadhaar cards. A person can manage his as well as his child’s Aadhaar card in the mAadhaar app. The Aadhaar card of the child can be accessed anytime and anywhere and used as proof of identity or address. This facility can be accessed by parents of children aged below 5 years as well as those ageing between 5 to 15 years.
A Good Credit Score ensures you manage Your Finances Well Check Score
FAQs on Aadhaar Card for Minors
Q. Is it compulsory to update the Aadhaar card after 15 years?
Ans. Yes, you have to submit your child’s biometrics and photograph when he turns 15. It is free of cost and takes just minutes.
Q. Is it possible to get an Aadhar card without any documents?
Ans. You have to submit proof of address and proof of identity to enrol for Aadhaar.
Q. I have received a blue-colored Aadhaar card for my child. Is it valid?
Ans. You will get a blue-colored Baal Aadhaar if your child is below 5 years of age. It is valid till he is 5 years old. You have to submit his biometrics when he turns 5 as the Baal Aadhaar is not valid after the child turns 5.
Q. How will children be added in the database?
Ans. Parents have to provide their Aadhaar to get their child enrolled before 5 years. Biometrics is taken when the child turns 5 and final biometrics is provided when the child turns 15 years of age.
Q. How long does it take to get the Baal Aadhaar card for a child below 5 years of age?
Ans. Baal Aadhaar also takes up to 90 days from enrolment to reach the residential address of the Aadhaar holder.